How To: Change the Fuel Filter (R50)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
new2infinitiqx4
Car: 1999 infiniti QX4

this is awesome.. i will be doing this this weekend. if the weather permits

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Aw man, looks like the images are dead. Densetsu, do you still have these to mirror somewhere?

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Ah, sorry, I switched web servers this month and haven't gotten around to migrating all the sites. I'll have them up soon!

PathyProject
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder XE, 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Is there an alternative to relieving pressure from the fuel lines? The only method mentioned here is the pull out the fuel pump fuse and stall your vehicle. I don't very much like the idea of stalling my ride, so I'd like the relieve the pressure some other way. I'm wondering if taking off the gas cap will do the trick. Whenever I go to get gas and remove the gas cap I can hear air leaving the tank, perhaps this too can depressurize the fuel system.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

That will help, yes. I do that as well as pulling the fuel pump fuse before replacing the fuel filter.

I would imagine that there would still be considerable pressure unless you pull the fuel pump fuse. One stall won't hurt anything. This procedure is listed in the FSM after all, so it can't be that detrimental. Obviously, relieving fuel pressure via CONSULT-II would be the best way to go, but not everybody has one of those lying around. ;)

If you really are wary of pulling the fuse, I'm sure the job is doable without, just be extra careful to avoid getting gasoline in your mouth or eyes since there will be more pressure.

00pathyse
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Sedan

Did this method a few weeks ago as per the FSM. Worked good, still got a gas shower though when I pulled the old one off, watch out!

PathyProject

00pathyse wrote:Did this method a few weeks ago as per the FSM. Worked good, still got a gas shower though when I pulled the old one off, watch out!
I only pulled off the gas cap to depressurize my fuel system and I had no problems later on. When I pulled off the fuel filter the gas didn't spray everywhere it just leaked out.

PathyProject

I just replaced my fuel filter today, and my fingers are still aching from when I was trying to get the fuel lines off. When I took off the old one I shook it out over my trash can and alot of dirty brown gas came out. So, if you have had your ride for a while and have not replaced your fuel filter, get to it.

comotion
Car: 02 Pathfinder SE

Just a note for those having trouble getting the hoses off... You can gently use needle nose pliers to pry them off. Takes under 60 seconds (each side), no fuss. They will often fit between the end of the hose and the filter, so you aren't grabbing the hose so much as you are using the pliers to apply the force to the end of the hose. The level action meant that they slid off pretty easy if you have fully loosened the screws (they need to make it over the big bulge at the end of the filter). Does this make sense, or is my description confusing?

Now, do you have to do anything special to the rags/filter before tossing them in the trash? Soak in water like you do with rags soaked in oil based wood stain? Thanks!

zubrick
Car: Pathfinder 2003 TI

I just changed my fuel filter using the above instructions.
After changing the filter i came across this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prK3mvAOOS8
The fuel hose removal pliers the guy uses are fantastic. Half way through removing the fuel hoses when my hands were blistered and sore I would have paid hundreds for a set of those pliers.

saveth
Car: 2001 PF LE

Just use regular pliers to break the seal by doing a quarter turn and then use your hands. That works with all hoses.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

A hook pick also should work fine; gently pry under the hose to get it to release the vacuum/suction.

Welcome to NICO!

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

I want those clamps from the video, thanks for posting. Recommend having a fuel filter bracket on hand if you live in Salt Belt states. Rust is brutal, and Nissan uses some super inferior screws/bolts. Replaced my fuel filter again and bracket was already pretty rusty, I did use a Stainless Bolt so it came out pretty easy unlike the first filter replacement.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

GRNMACHINE wrote:I want those clamps from the video
vice grips would also workm, but you can find the clamps on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-KD-3585 ... 28&vxp=mtr

Dylan418Hewitt
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Just did this today. Great write up. Pulled the fuse and popped the gas cap. Still had some fuel come out, but nothing a small rag couldn't handle. Plan on moving to the transmission/ transfer case, then onto the diffs. Thanks for the great info.

scottrainey
Car: 2004 Pathfinder LE 3.5L 4WD Platinum Edition

Changed the filter out myself today. Got a Wix branded filter for about fifteen bucks at O'Reilly's. The screw holding the filter to the bracket came out easily, as did the screws on the clamps on the hoses. The line in came off fairly easily, but the line out was impossible to get off. Since the hose seemed to have some extra length to it, I ended up cutting it off right at the filter. Even with pulling the fuse and running the engine, I still got a fair amount of gas coming out (and at around $4.50 at gallon where I live, it was all I could do not to try to catch every drop in a clean bucket to pour back into the tank. :rolleyes:

Putting it all back together couldn't have been simpler. I drove it around the block, and punched the gas on the next street. I was literally pushed back into my seat - it felt like I was driving a sports car! I've owned my Pathy for almost four years and had never changed out the filter - I never knew what I was missing! :woot:

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

A word of warning:

Because gasoline spraying everywhere seems unavoidable, throw in some ear plugs. I just changed the filter on mine and despite being arm's length from the filter, got a face full of gas, and when I turned my head to avoid it, got an earful of it. It doesn't sound that bad, but the pain was excruciating. Please understand that I don't use that word lightly. It was the second worst pain I've ever felt.

If this does end up happening to you, flush with warm soapy water for 10-15 minutes with a bulb syringe or turkey baster. Know where a bulb syringe is if you think you're too pro for the earplugs.

Some interesting anecdotes and info on the subject: http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/archi ... 38132.html

Goggles couldn't hurt either :chuckle:

Randy K
Car: 2002 QX4

Just changed mine 10 mins ago. How the heck did Town sit up under there? lol The worst part was holding my head up off the ground that long. Gas did come out pretty good, even after pulling the relay and fuse and running and opening the gas cap. Wore safety glasses as always so didn't hurt me. Didn't have needle nose here. but did have wire strippers and used them the same way. Just turn the hose to break it loose then put pliers on the metal part and pry the hose off. It comes off easy enough. When it first came off and gas was dripping out of it, I thought what's the big deal on changing it? But when I turned it on it's end, what came out was almost black! I can only imagine what the sock and injectors look like.

Randy K
Car: 2002 QX4

Oh, I did hear some weird clicking under about 3/4 throttle that I've never heard before when I first drove it. Dry injectors opening and closing?? But that went away soon. It seems stronger, but that may be the same placebo effect that happens when you change your oil. At least I know it's done and don't have to do it again. It had 205k and was the original filter. I don't think it'll make it to 410k.

barnaclebob
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE
2011 Altima SR

I changed my fuel filter this weekend and I too managed to snap the head off the bolt that fastens the metal strap together. To fix this I cut the strap off with tin snips and slid a hose clamp behind and around the main bracket. That indentation is perfect for this. The filter is held in place nice and tight.

Digdug154
Car: 2003 Pathfinder

Because of the negligence of the previous owner of my Pathfinder, my fuel filter hadn't been changed in around 50,000 miles. it was so clogged i could barely blow through it. when i went to change it out the bracket for it was so rusted that i couldn't get the bolt out and it was bending and cracking while i was messing with it and one of my hose clamp screws was stripped out. having to cut the bracket with metal sheers and cut my hose right behind that hose clamp to replace it, took me around an hour, so if your filter bracket is in really bad shape and your hose clamps are too, expect to spend a decent amount of time trying to do this task.

Pathy415
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE 4WD

Just did this on the truck today. I learned from mistakes on my previous pathfinder on doing this without getting a face full of gasoline. Removing the tire was a big help as mentioned earlier and I used this stuff called Silikroil to spray the two screws and 10mm bolt before removing and nothing broke.

Was able to sit Indians style under the car with tire removed but my head had to be tilted.

Good tip for removing the stuck on hoses: Spray a little WD 40 on both ends and work it into the hoses. Stuck a flat head screwdriver between the filter housing and hose and separated the two enough for the WD40 to seep in. Within a few seconds it was pretty easy to remove both ends of the hose. To prevent the lines from leaking much, I used the end cap of a gear oil bottle to plug up before I was ready to install the new filter.

Wix part number: 33023

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

Pathy415, you must have quite a lift kit to be able to sit Indian style under the truck. I shimmied under and was able to remove the filter with only a moderate amount of cursing at the gas lines. Like others I found a good bit of gunk that had been caught by the old filter. Thanks to the OP for the great write-up.

Pathy415
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE 4WD

LOL no lift kit sroberts! I'm a pretty small dude 5'8" so fitting under there was too bad although I was getting neck cramping.

Can't say enough about WD40 and how it made the hose removal a breeze and the silikroil for freeing up the rusty 10mm bolt.

Bergan
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder

I just replaced my fuel filter and the car won't start at all. Whereas before, it would run ok until I hit the gas and then it would stall. Do I need to bleed the fuel lines of any air after Replacing the fuel filter?

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

It'll take a few seconds of cranking to go through the air in the fuel lines before the gas comes. When I did it it was around 5 seconds. If it's still not starting after 10 seconds, maybe double-check that the fuel pump fuse is in the right spot and not blown? Also check that the filter was installed in the right direction.

I'm actually not sure what would happen if the filter is on backwards; it should still work but might put more strain on your fuel pump.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”