How To: 5 Speed Swap in Convertibles (and other S13s)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Paradox
Car: Cars, computers...

It was indeed the fuse, Hijacker, thanks. I thought we checked all of the fuses, and the wires were blue/green not reversed. Thanks for your help!

Flatline1121
Car: 1996 S14 RB25det s1
1997 S14 on jack stands
1986.5 MkIII Supra
2012 Honda Ruckus

okay, before i cut wires, let me ask.

i can use the factor plug on the manual trans to get my reverse lights ans speed sensor to work correct?

now, with my vert, i have to jump the brown/yellow wire to the green/blue wire on the same plug to get the top to work. can i just jump that wire over and plug the trans harness in to get everything to work?

im 90% sure i can but everything is apart at the moment so it all looks different.

thanks

music24
Car: s13 Convertible

*Yes on factory speed sensor plug
*No on factory reverse lights plug, you have to hard wire it up (use some male + female crimp connectors to make your own plug so incase you ever have to drop the tranny you can disconnect the sensor)
*On the Chasis side of the inhibitor switch plug, there is a Green/Blue and Green/Orange wires, jump them together (either wire or expose a section of each wire and solder them together) *refer to illustrations bellow
*DONT forget to tie together the two wires to get the car started

TOP WIRING

Reverse Lights

Refer to my HOW TO: CRUISE CONTROL Thread to get your cruise working

Good luck

Flatline1121
1997 S14 on jack stands
1986.5 MkIII Supra
2012 Honda Ruckus

got the park/neutral switch tied together.

now on the chassis side of the inhibitor, im going to use the green/blue and green/white for my reverse wires. g/b is + constant and gets the wire for the top.

now, the wire for the top isn't brown and yellow? cause thats what the pictures on page one is displaying?

music24

NO the top wiring is not brown and yellow. To start the car you have to jump the Brown/Yellow + Black wire (seen on page 1 of this thread)

To get the top to work, jump together the green/blue + green/orange wires on the chassis inhibitor switch plug.

pictures-of-the-infamous-5-sp-swap-wire ... 29284.html

Look at the bottom pictures, the owner uses a small metal clip to tie together the green/blue+green/orange wire after exposing the wires with a soldering iron. This is the same as using the brown/yellow wire but with much less wiring and looks cleaner.

Flatline1121
1997 S14 on jack stands
1986.5 MkIII Supra
2012 Honda Ruckus

yeah, i know about the park/neutral switch. they're like 12g wires. cant miss them.

in the link you gave me, i saw those pictures but it's too hard to make out exactly which wires for the g/b and g/o conection. In the same thread there's a diagram by hijacker that shows the g/b and g/w wires for the rev switch and a brown/yellow wire in the inhibitor plug that can be cut qand attached to the g/b for constant. i was originally asking about that combined with the plugging in of the speed sensor and stuff.

about that, which sensor on the trans is that? the farthest one or the closer one? all the gear sensors are off the trans so im not worried about that.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

The speed sensor is in its own separate subharness. You don't need to worry about it. As for which one it is, it's the really big one with the gear on it. The reverse switch is the closest to the bellhousing.

music24

Green+blue is a constant as well. So when you wire up your reverse lights, you use green/blue + green/white on the harness side. For the top to work, you use green/blue + green/orange on the chassis side.

Green/blue = constant
Green/orange= energizes the relay to make the top switch work.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

I have no clue what green/orange wire you're talking about. There is no green/orange going to the inhibitor.

Flatline1121
1997 S14 on jack stands
1986.5 MkIII Supra
2012 Honda Ruckus

gotcha. just wanted to make sure i wired the switch right the first time.

and i wasn't sure about the g/o wire either. thats what had me confoosed.
ill be doing this tonight after work so ill check back in.

thanks for all the help.

music24

If you look at the Convertible FSM page 20-19, there is a green/blue wire from the ignition that goes to the inhibitor switch plug and then there is a green/orange wire that goes to the inhibitor plug. Its how I wired up my car and works like a charm and looks very clean.

Let us know how it goes!!

Good luck

Hijacker
'94 F-150

I see in the vert FSM the green/orange wire. however, I just went through the S13 chassis manual and I can't find for the love of me a green/orange that would do the job of what you mention. There is one coming off a neutral switch that runs up to the ECU and ATCU. But by the vert's circuit layout for the whole car, that wire does not connect to the top switch. The only one the circuit layout references is the brown/yellow one from the inhibitor. The green/orange for the neutral switch goes through the middle plug that is on the long side of the fuse box. The inhibitor plug is the middle plug on the short side of the fuse box.

What I am curious about is if your inhibitor plug is slightly different. I've done 5 speed swaps on half a dozen verts, and I have never seen a green/orange wire on the inhibitor plug. Can you take a picture of your plug? I really want to see this and I'm curious. Because by the book and common sense, there should be no way that you would be able to power the top switch using the green/orange of the neutral switch. Also, what year is your vert?

Flatline1121
1997 S14 on jack stands
1986.5 MkIII Supra
2012 Honda Ruckus

So i've gone through a bunch of issues unrelated to this and got my self confused again.

the speed sensor does connect to the inhibitor plug right? what i think is my factor plug for my speed sensor, connects to the 2 pin plug thats on the speed sensor, and has 2 yellow wires that connect to the inhibitor plug in the same slots as the green/blue and brown/yellow. is that supposed to be that way or am i missing a plug?

when i got my trans, all the sensors minus the speed sensor had their connections ripped at the solder joints so im having to piece it together.

Sirius
Car: 93 Hatch

Hijacker wrote:as far as those three plugs on the bottom,the only one that does is park/neutral safety switch. That's the one you have to jumper up underneath the fuse box. Without it jumpered, I don't think the car will even try to turn over.
i've read your post, and followed all the instructions on the thread... i did a full 5 speed swap in my 93 hatch.. except for jumper the park/neutral safety switch... so my engine won't turn over.. i looked at your pictures and descriptions.. but i'm still lost as to how i should "jumper" these wires.. and which wires go where..
i replaced the automatic wiring harness with the 5speed wiring harness so this is the last thing i need.. could you walk me through the steps in detail for jumpering the park/neutral safety switch.. i would greatly appreciate it. thnx

Sirius

Hijacker wrote: It's a small 2 prong connector with two thick wires. One white, one black.

you can see it poking out from under the bottom of the fuse box (i had removed the upper portion when i took that picture). Jumper that connector to get your car started
i just did my swap and it won't start.. i need to do this portion but im confused.. can someone give me detailed steps and pictures how to "jumper" the wires needed to make the car start? sadly i cannot see a few of the pictures posted by Hijacker.. i don't want to mess this up so some help would be nice.

Sirius

xxyournoonexx wrote:I've herd of it being used, but I don't think it's possible. Try a junkyard somehwere. Shouldn't be TOO hard to find. only thing is actually getting it off the car.

Does anyone know exactly what size drill-bit or what size hole need to be done for the clutch master cylinder? I need to know.
for the drill bit i used a 1 3/4 (one and three-fourths) hole saw bit i got from home depot for like. .. .. 15ish bucks.. if that doesn't work then drill all around the perimeter of the outline where the clutch ms goes.. then use a chisel and hammer to knock it out.. have a buddy hold a block of wood on the inside while you chisel it from the engine bay.. then just smooth it out with a grinder drill bit..

Sirius

pinky121388 wrote:nevermind its all fixed. i just didnt look hard enough..
how did you do it exactly? i still have to jumper the wires but like you i dont wuna mess it up .. which wires do i need to jumper and to where and how??? im completely done with my 5speed swap.! this is the last step!!!

Juro240
Car: 89 240sx Coupe(S14 SR20DET)
Facebook.com/TheJuroProject

right under the fuse box .. you cant miss em..2 thick wires... and if its from auto to 5 speed u have to jumper the 2 wires inside the car by the shifter also..

mattaltima99
Car: 1999 Nissan Altima KA24DE, Spectra Cold Air intake, OBX 4-1 Headers, OBX 10.36 Spark Wires, Flowmaster super 44

Quick question, do you need to convert the drive shafts also from auto to manual? Or can you use an auto drive shaft on a manual tranny?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

You need a manual driveshaft. It's one of the first things I mentioned in the list of "things you need"

nickhebert
Car: 1990 240sx

If I am doing a complete engine swap I dont need to worry about the wiring for the auto tranny right? it can all just be removed

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Yes, should have everything with the new engine.

RegulatorMachine
Car: 1990 Sentra B12
1993 240SX Convertible

Another Take on this....

Find and buy Project Car Magazine!!!

This was in issue #10

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard, RM!

p.s. Great droptop, great article, and most of all, great sig!

xwizkidx
Car: 95 Altima GXE RIP
97 Altima SE
92 240sx SE Hatch RIP
89 240sx SE Hatch KA(DE)-t

Allright ive done some searching and i cant seem to find the simple answer. Is there a way i can wire my clutch interlock switch into the automatics harness or run wires to The park/neutral safety switch plug to make the car only start with the clutch depressed. ive had too many dipsh*ts start my car without poppin the clutch in or pulling it out of gear and i just want it to seem more factory like... any info would be awesome. Thanks!

biggie

You can run wires from the clutch switch up to the P/N switch under the front fuse box. Don't have an pics or diagram on it though.

xwizkidx
97 Altima SE
92 240sx SE Hatch RIP

So opposed to looping those two wires over like i did to get it to start if i wire the switch to those wires it will start when i push the pedal? thats what i was thinking if my logic is correct. now all i have to do is go do it... lol

biggie

Yeah, that should be it, 2 wires to the clutch switch and when the pedal is pushed it should complete the loop.

Has to be the clutch switch at the bottom (when pedal is pressed all the way down).

xwizkidx
97 Altima SE
92 240sx SE Hatch RIP

Correct Not the other switch which is the ASCD cancel switch. which im wiring up to make that work aswell.

Ilya240sx
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible

You will have to get a clutch interlock relay but basically this is how you would do it.

As for the cruise control here is how I did mine(different user name...forgot my password and my email on that account doesnt exist anymore)

post5811207.html?hilit=Cruise%20Control#p5811207

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”