How To: 5 Speed Swap in Convertibles (and other S13s)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
topless_240

bump forr help my speedo isn't working still, need some advice

Harman850T5
Car: 2003 350z

topless_240 wrote:bump forr help my speedo isn't working still, need some advice

you may have mixed the wires up, I'm not sure if it matters or not, but you could try switching them around and see what happens.

I had to cut and solder mine too, but unfortunately I have shrink wrap covering the wires so I can't tell you which color wire I have hooked up to the yellow and black and vise versa.

Hope that helps

Also, has anybody had back firing problems after the swap? Everytime my car gets below 2000 rpms while in a gear and starts popping. Not gunshot loud, but enough to be annoying. Is there anything I can do about it?

topless_240

Mine backfires sometimes too but it's not really that bad

blueballa
Car: 97 kouki

BMAR240SX wrote:I have this sort of hesitation in first gear from like 1,000rpm - 1,500rpm where the car hesitates or jams of if very little throttle is given.

Someone told me to disconnect the TPS sensor and another friend said to get a manual ecu that same **** happen to him and he didnt pass his inspection because of an auto ecu, anyone have any other idea's?
did you get your flywheel resurfaced? hesistation usually occurs when you dont resurface it. check your motor and tranny mounts also. gl

whatvtec
Car: 91 240sx

ok here is the problem the tranny is in and wireing is done. car runs like s***. first gear wont go pass 20mph, 2 gear wont go pass 40mph, and so on my reverse lights dont work and when am getting to a stop sign and put it in neutral the car shuts off. and i get loud backfire sounds every now and then. can any one help please u can email me to [email protected] or aim sincere2883 please i need to have this car running thank u guys

s13kidd
Car: 91' 240sx hatch SE going to be 5spd and fixed

ok i have a 5spd ecu for my swap, do i need to wiring it in? or does it just plug right in to my auto harness?
Modified by s13kidd at 9:15 PM 8/11/2009

sainifabulous
Car: 1992 240sx HB - 1991 240sx HB DOHC, SR20det waiting to be dropped in.

IslandStyle wrote:Okay, I finally had time to finish my 5spd swap. It works great, but I have a small issue. I also want to add some stuff to the main post in this thread due to the parts I used which I'll explain in the next post.

My problem: Everything worked perfectly, shifted fine, etc. However, My brake lights WILL NOT shut off!!! I have to unplug the battery when I shut the car off. They also remain on the whole time driving, so you can't tell when I'm actually braking LOL! I checked the harnesses on the brake pedal that I had to take off to remove it and they're still in tact, so I'm kinda stumped here? Any ideas?
I'm having the same issue how did you get the brake lights to turn off?i swapped a 89 tranny in a 92 dohc engine

EDIT: it was the rubber plugs at the end of the brake pedal fixed now
Modified by sainifabulous at 2:08 PM 8/30/2009

kaboost90
Car: 1990 240sx SE 5 speed

Will the kae transmission work on a kade? I suppose I don't have to get anything else to do the swap properly? its coming off a running rust bucket 90 to 93 swap

sainifabulous
Car: 1992 240sx HB - 1991 240sx HB DOHC, SR20det waiting to be dropped in.

kaboost90 wrote:Will the kae transmission work on a kade? I suppose I don't have to get anything else to do the swap properly? its coming off a running rust bucket 90 to 93 swap
Hey it will work no problem your just gena have to do some wiring mods i have a 89 tranny on my 96 dohc engine works fine

the vert
Car: 93 240sx vert

Hey guys I know this has probably been covered a million times. I just dont feel like going through the 11 pages today. LOL sorry for being lazy. I know the wiring is different as far as the speed sensors and other misc things. Will a s14 tranny do fine in a s13. I know it will bolt up, same motor duh, but as far as the wiring and any other thing I may not know about. Will it work?

YellowKoolAid
Car: 240sx

i have a 91 5 speed de hatch, im going to buy a vert and if it is automatic could i just swap the transmission from my hatch to the vert without buying a kit?

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

YellowKoolAid wrote:i have a 91 5 speed de hatch, im going to buy a vert and if it is automatic could i just swap the transmission from my hatch to the vert without buying a kit?
Yes

whaaaaaadahhh
Car: 240sx 1993 Convertible

anybody in oc wanna help me with a swap?

Clark W. Griswald
Car: '93 240SX Vert/ '87 Toyota Cressida

So I just got back from on hour drive to get this swap done in a shop and I have problems with my reverse lights and my top. I ran the green wire and black wire from the reverse switch to the spliced brown/yellow+ blue/green from the inhibitor plug and also the green/white from the inhibitor plug. I ran the green/white wire to the green wire on the switch and the brown/yellow+blue/green to the black wire. I disregarded the other wires on the harness completely and theyre sitting there cut off. The only things I have connected to the transmission are reverse switch and VSS. What have I done wrong?
Modified by Clark W. Griswald at 7:35 AM 9/21/2009

thienthan

I need help now! I just got done with my 5 speed swap on my vert and it started up. I notice my top don't work though. The only wiring I did was jump the two wire connector under the fuse box and hard wire the reverse light (gotta check if that is working). Can someone please help me with my top? Winter is coming and I need my top working!

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

thienthan wrote:I need help now! I just got done with my 5 speed swap on my vert and it started up. I notice my top don't work though. The only wiring I did was jump the two wire connector under the fuse box and hard wire the reverse light (gotta check if that is working). Can someone please help me with my top? Winter is coming and I need my top working!
Do this to close it manually for now.zerothread?id=449940

Connet Brown/Yellow wire to the Green/Blue wire. This pic is in the first page of this thread.

I wonder what people do with this piece after the swap. This one is attached to transmission cross member and hold the front of catalytic converter. It wouldn't fit on manual transmission cross member, so I did this.

It has to be bent about this much. It doesn't have to be a perfect bend because the holes that bolts go to are slotted, so you have some slack.

Used a Dremel to make a small cut and hit with a hammer to bend it.

Painted and installed. It fits perfect now.

thienthan

Manually!?! Does that mean I have to get out and pull the top up manually?? I would like to just press the button for it to work. I Checked my reverse light today and it works! Took it for a drive around the neighborhood and it felt great; way better then the slushbox. Quick question. Why would I need to connect those wires to put the top up manually?

94_240sx

thienthan wrote:Manually!?! Does that mean I have to get out and pull the top up manually?? I would like to just press the button for it to work. I Checked my reverse light today and it works! Took it for a drive around the neighborhood and it felt great; way better then the slushbox. Quick question. Why would I need to connect those wires to put the top up manually?
I said "close the top manually FOR NOW." Do you want to keep it open until you fix the wiring? Close it manually first, so inside won't get dusty or wet and then fix the wiring. That's what I meant. Just connect Brown/Yellow wire to the Green/Blue wire and it'll work.

thienthan

You gotta explain more man. I thought the link was for that picture so I was wondering why would I need to connect some wires to do it manually. Is the gree/blue wire and brown/yellow coming from the inhibitor plug?

94_240sx

thienthan wrote:Is the gree/blue wire and brown/yellow coming from the inhibitor plug?
Yes, you can find them in those plugs.

slim_240

i'm currently in the process of doing an SR swap and converting to a 5pd. would i need to do all that wiring or would swaping the new ecu take care of the wiring?

thienthan

I tried the the brown/yellow wire to the green/blue and my top still didn't work. My wire is only green not green/blue I wonder if that make a difference. I don't have a brown/yellow wire either but I do have a brown and a yellow wire. I have the green and black wire coming from my inhibitor plug going directly into the reverse light swithc and it works. I tried to splice the brown wire into my green one that goes into the reverse switch and it didn't work. I splice the yellow wire into my green reverse switch wire and it didn't work either. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong please!

thienthan

Anybody with the 5 speed swap on their vert have solid colors wires on their inhibitor switch want to show me how you got the wires from the inhibitor set up?

94_240sx

You shouldn't go by colors now. I'll get the location of wires in the plug and let you know.

thienthan

That would be awesome 94_240sx! I tried to look at the link to the fsm page but I don't know what I'm looking at...

94_240sx

thienthan wrote:That would be awesome 94_240sx! I tried to look at the link to the fsm page but I don't know what I'm looking at...
Here you go. You have to jump bottom two wires in this middle plug. What I did was I used solder to exposed wire and pinch those two wires together with metal clip(arrow). I'm sure your top will work after this.

thienthan

Great! So if the plug is plugged in then it's the two wires on the bottom? Can I connect the wires from the other side of the plug? Instead of connecting it from the chassis side of the inhibitor but the plug that plug into that outlet?

94_240sx

thienthan wrote:Great! So if the plug is plugged in then it's the two wires on the bottom? Can I connect the wires from the other side of the plug? Instead of connecting it from the chassis side of the inhibitor but the plug that plug into that outlet?
Yes and yes.

Actually, most people connect them from the other side. I cut all the wires on the other side for clean look, so I had to do it that way. If you want to make cruise control work, it gets a little complicated. I know how to do it, but haven't done it yet cuz I'm lazy.

thienthan

I will diffianly try that. It's not going to short anything? Also, is there any reason it's different on my car then what the steps in this board state with the brown/yellow wire to a constant 12 v?

thienthan

94_240sx...You're a genious!! That worked. I appreciate the help!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”