How To: 5 Speed Swap in Convertibles (and other S13s)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
503sandyor

hijacker i have a 93 coupe and you said you have to jump the two wired connecter together ,but mine has three wires on it two blacks an a white ,which ones do i jump to get it to start?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Picture would be handy. I've never seen nor heard of a 3 wire plug in the place of the park/neutral safety switch location

503sandyor

i should have read all the way through the thread i found it its the one under the fuse box rite? also is the speed sensor and the park neutral saftey switch the only wiring to do to get the car drivable i dont care about the cruise or cel codes i just want to drive it .

Hijacker
'94 F-150

The speed sensor doesn't require any special wiring. The harness for the speed sensor is seperate of the auto trans lower harness, so you can just pull it out and it should plug right into the manual speed sensor.

503sandyor

thanks this post helped me out so much you dont even know!

503sandyor

hijacker anyone i have a quick question i have another 93 coupe with a ka24de im putting in a 5sp from a ka24e which speed sensor should i use?????????

Modified by 503sandyor at 12:33 AM 4/4/2008
Modified by 503sandyor at 1:36 PM 4/4/2008

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

503sandyor wrote:i have another 93 coupe with a ka24de im putting in a 5sp from a ka24e which speed sensor should i use?????????
You need to use ka24e speed sensor. As far as I know, number of teeth on the gear is different on them. SOHC and DOHC have 2 different part numbers for the gears. Compare both gears and let us know if that's possible.

503sandyor

anybody else wanna give there opinion on the matter.?

whoflungpoo
Car: 2006 Infinity G35 Sedan
2003 Evolution VIII

Plug it in and try it out, it won't hurt anything.

The only problem I've ever had was using an S13 speed sensor on a S14. It looked cool pegging the speedo out when I was only going 60, but it kinda caused the mileage to rack up pretty quick.

94_240sx

This is something that I can throw away after the 5 speed swap, right? It used be where clutch pedal top bolt is at. I wonder what this thing does.

white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Hijacker wrote:Find the passenger side fuse box. If you look at it, it will have 4 plugs hanging off of it. 3 large plugs, and a small 2 wire plug (it's not visible in the picture except by the two wires connected by the yellow splice).

The small 2 wire plug is the park neutral switch. To make the car start, you'll have to jumper those. The easiest way is to canibalize the plug off the AT tranny harness. Then you can just connect the two wires together with a splice and plug it back into the chassis plug.
I needa splice these wires but in the pic you say its a small plug but theres a larger plug circled.

Whats the colors of the wires i needa splice together

And also what is that green box?

-THANKS-

94_240sx

white90esex wrote:
I needa splice these wires but in the pic you say its a small plug but theres a larger plug circled.

Whats the colors of the wires i needa splice together

And also what is that green box?

-THANKS-
Check my pictures in this thread. The plug is at the bottom.zerothread/329284

I pulled the green box out and car runs just fine.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

hum... i cant seem to see this anywere. Meh...

Hijacker
'94 F-150

The green box is what lets you take your key out of the ignition. If you remove it, your key will forever be stuck

94_240sx

Hijacker wrote:The green box is what lets you take your key out of the ignition. If you remove it, your key will forever be stuck
I removed it and was able to take out my key with no problem. Maybe it works only with auto transmission???

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

ok. So I found the wires I need to splice.

They were no were near anyone elses. The plug was like off twords the fender infront of the fuse box instead of underneath and twords the back.

As for the green box.

I think there are two different style ignition locks. One that locks the key in and the other that doesnt give a ****.

Back when my car was auto and all stock the batt had a terrible connection and my key was stuck in the ignition and everything was at a stand still.

Ive never had this problem with my other car witch is a 5 speed.

I have two spare ignition locks in my garage. One with some odd white plastic box with some wires coming out of it and one without.

Ill snap pics when I get the free time.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

94_240sx wrote:
I removed it and was able to take out my key with no problem. Maybe it works only with auto transmission???
That's odd. Every car I've done a 5 speed swap on, removing that box locks the ignition in and I can't remove the key. I've also had those boxes pop the ign lock fuse when they get jossled. I'm thinking of going in there and figuring out which wires to jumper on the harness and removing it completely.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

well i didnt get a chance to take pics of the ignition locks cause my cameras accross town.

I also got some crazy wiring help that I need for this 5 speed swap.

I was rummaging through boxes in my basement and found my old auto harness.

I just needa see what I need off it. I basically cut the **** outta all the wires cause I guess I was frustrated. I did this ALONG time ago and looking back I woulda taken a different approach.

503sandyor

hey when switching the pilot bearing how far should i put the m/t one in cause the a/t one stuck out about 1/8 of an inch?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

It needs to be flush with the hole it sits in. Push it in too far and you'll never get it out.

503sandyor

i just finished my five speed swap on my 93 coupe.so i started it up and when the clutch is pushed in the release bearing is squeeling like a mother ,anyways i have a dual cam motor and i used a tranny from a single cam motor and i used the oem clutch kit for a dual cam. is there a difference between dual cam and single cam clutches or relase bearings. cause i was sure i put it all together right but obviousley i didnt . the clutch kit was brand new so i know it wasent worn so. could it possibly need to be adjusted ,the only thing i could think of that i did wrong was maybe put the release bearing backwards on the sleeve but im pretty sure it was on there right ,and also it started smoking from the clutch area ,and also the noise goes away intermittaly. I know i have to take it back out but if anyone has an idea or suggetions to what i installed wrong to make a brand new clutch and release bearing sqeel like that please help im so pissed

Trax07
Car: 1990 SRed 240SX

Hey Hijacker I was wondering .... um ok I got all the stuff to work except the actual starting of the car. Everything turns on but it doesnt start. I even hooked up a push start and nothing, what do u think is wrong and which side of the two wired plug do i splice? Male or Female?

pinky121388
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx convertible

im doing the swap on my vert (auto to manuel) the first ? is how can u start the car... i undersatnd that there is the two-wire plug.. am i jumpering those wires together to make one.. or just the peach colored on with another wire.. i cant figure it out. i dont wanna cut stuff up and screw my car up.. please get back to me as soon as u can.. that would be greatly appreciated.

pinky121388
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx convertible

nevermind its all fixed. i just didnt look hard enough..

jspec603
Car: 92 verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd like to say a couple of things on this write-up. First off, it is a great tool. Second, a note should be made at in the original post. The park/neutral switch plug under the fuse box contains black/yellow and black/white. In the picture you show a brown and black wire spliced with the yellow butt connector. In my situation, I had the entire wiring harness out of the car to paint it. When things went back in, not everything was where it's needed to be. I found a small gray plug with brown and black wires in it, so I spliced them. Well, as soon as the ignition was turned on I was popping a 30A fuse. Turned out to be the condenser fan fuse, I think. Anyways, a little poking around and testing things with a test light, I figured it out. Just a suggestion to help clarify for people who may not be as 12V savy.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

That plug that I put my splice on is from the lower harness for the auto. It's also got years of crud/fading to obscure its colors. The point of the picture is to give you an idea of where the plug should be.

Sleeping240
Car: 240sx

cant wait to get my sr20det package.. i hate automatic

FeintMind
Car: 2005 350z Base

P_856 wrote:do i need a backing/belhousing plate im not sure what you call it but it goes in between the engine and tranny
Nobody answered this guy and I am wondering the same thing....because it is written about in This Write Up

and Im not fully sure what they are talking about, and I'm pretty sure that I do NOT have whatever it is... so I want to know how necessary it is.

Under parts, it says, "5 Speed Transmission Adapter Plate / Dust Cover"

and then in the install part it says,

"Install the manual brake pedal.

Install the clutch master cylinder.

TIP: I find its easiest to use a 1/4" drive to tighten down the bolts if you have a non-ABS brake booster (ABS brake booster is smaller in diameter). Make sure to clean the pressure plate and flywheel of oils with brake cleaner.

REASON: Your $300 clutch will absorb any oils left on the surfaces becoming ineffective.

Install the manual transmission adapter plate.

Install the flywheel and torque the bolts to 105 ft-lbs. Make sure to tighten and torque them in a crisscross pattern......... blah blahh blah....."

TnT=rgis
Car: 93 vert

this is my first post and my first vert 5spd swap but not my first swap ingeneral with that said, it would stand to reason that both auto and man. engine blocks are the same including internals so if the plate was installed from the factory with the man. trans then you will need to use it when you swap trans. ?.?.

Ka24de240sxS13
Car: 240sx s13

Hey I did the swap and I don't know where to plug the speed sensor into, I followed the wires to the inhibitor switch, but the wiring doesn't match.... so where did you guys plug it in?

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”