How much would it cost to replace front passenser side axle?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
hollohsuhgi
Car: 97' Nissan Maxima

How much would it cost to replace front passenser side axle?

Postby hollohsuhgi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 am

Since I bought a used 97 Nissan Maxima,I took it to local auto repair center to check generally.

They had done most of work, but then they had informed me thatI must replace/repair the front passenger side axle, it got torn offso dust can go into main shift.

To fix this, how much do you guys think it will cost?

I live in S. Cali (LA), any of you can recommend me some good place for meto get the service done?

Thanks

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

Re: How much would it cost to replace front passenser side axle? (hollohsuhgi)

Postby allensteiner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:32 am

the best/cheapest place will be your driveway or garage. the part costs only about $40 iirc and is fairly simple to diy.

MCovington
Car: 1995 Q45

Postby MCovington » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 am

A complete half shaft runs about 225.00 installed parts and labor. If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools you can do it yourself. I don't like messing with drive shafts personally. The rubbber boot that is missing on the CV joint holds grease. If you drive it too long it slings the grease out and dries up the CV joint. I always just replace them. They usually last 7 to 10 years then crack open. Do you hear any popping noise when you turn the wheel. my 95 Max bursted a boot and I don't know how long it went, somewhere between oil changes before I caught it. Had a new boot put on and the CV joint started popping. So go ahead and replace the half shaft.

mmatheny
Car: 1998 Infiniti i30

Postby mmatheny » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:43 am

I think he is talking about the CV boot.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Postby NutriaforBreakfast » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:52 am

A rubber cover/boot is cheap but you better be mechanicallyinclinded or you will have your ball bearings from the axlescattered on the floor.

I recommend you put in a new shaft. Haynes has excellentdirections as does the FSM. If you diy, you probably needa helper holder.

I have been charged $200.00, $100.00 for labor and $100for the shaft.

Most of the shafts you get will be rebuilt but there are somethat are made new. I have been ok with rebuilt but just donthave the information to know where to get a brand new onerather than rebuilt.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

Re: How much would it cost to repla ... (NutriaforBreakfast)

Postby lightsout » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:17 pm

it's either the CV boot he's talking about or the Dust shield for the axle seal...if it's the dust shield, that thing is like $1.50. If it's the CV just get a new one and remove the old one and replace it with a completely new one. I believe aamco, or pepboys are good places to go. DO NOT take it to the dealer, the axle from the dealer is $500 and isn't any better than the one that Kragen sells for $99...no lie, that's what my parts guy at the dealer told me.

i just did both of mine...it's sooo easy to install a new one. here's another thread!!

zerothread?id=370282

if you want a new axle, purchase one from Kragen...call ahead and order it over the phone so you get your 10% off(at most kragen), then pick it up when it's delivered to that Kragen.

i just got a NEW(not rebuilt) CV AXLE ASSEMBLY from Kragen. The brand they sell is Cardone, and it's a great brand.

take it to get aligned after if it feels as tho it pulls to one side when you drive.

DO NOT remove the tie rod end nut...keep it in...just pull the shaft out of the hub.

you will need:

1.25" impact socket for the hub nut.strong breaker bar.metric and standard sockets and socket wrenches.socket wrench extensions(for the 1/2 bolts on the support bracket)jack standswheel blocksi always recomend golves to protect your handsif you have an impact gun and good sized tank, it will go a lot faster.toruque wrenchnew cotter pin for the axle(it doesn't come with the new axle)and some basic understanding of suspension, and R&R mechanics...it's easy!

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Postby NutriaforBreakfast » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:01 am

I highly recommend changing the tranny seal (after amechanic fixed my CV joint and messed up my seal.)Go OEM there

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

Re: How much would it cost to replace front passenser side axle?

Postby mstrmstr » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:44 am

It is now June 2021. I have had my passenger front CV axle replaced now 4 times in 145000 miles. I got wise after the first screw job at the dealer and now have it done at my local body shop for $60 labor and I supply the parts ( I kept receipts and parts are replaced free).
My Rogue is a 2008 and it was found to have an issue with the axle. BTW I did replace all engine mounts.
The distal boot fails often and throws grease to the inside of the wheel causing imbalance...First clue) Also noticed at oil change as grease is everywhere... Second clue.

This is NOT a home job.. separating the lower control arm is a pain and take a cool tool my bodyshop calls "big red" which is a lever 8 feet long and pops the parts without damage as is common with a air knuckle buster. The work takes only 30 minutes for a skilled shopman.

Good luck and never go to the dealer when out of warranty.. See YOUTUBE video on the job for a good idea on how it's done.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”