How do you replace the rubber grommet behind the brakelight switch??

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
glacier62
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier XE V6 crew cab

The most important thing to do is to TURN YOUR VEHICLE ON while trying to replace the rubber stopper. This will allow you to depress the break pedal further and the rubber grommet will pop in easily. You will have enough room to get your fingers in there.

eyedol911
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

I used a little retainer to fix that. about 7-8mm Push Bumper Fastener Rivet Clip took care of the problem. Make sure the engine runs so the brake pedal is easy to depress, press the brake pedal hard and insert the clip and push it down. I had to use a needle nose plier to hold the clip and slide in the hole. Took about a whole 3 minutes to take care of that. My Pathfinder is 2001 model (original owner) and both pads broke off about 6 months apart and I just changed the second pad for cruise control.

macgiver

Your lucky the homebrew fix worked , I tried three times using items out of my " plastics junk box " ,and failed. Then I did buy the INFINITI genuine part , and was clear like said in a previous post how a revised part now. The difference I noticed from the original black one was - the new clear one was very much a softer kind of like rubber compound , not plasticky plastic that crumbled over time.
Problem was how much force needed to ' seat ' the grommet into the hole in brake arm , because it has like an expanded tip / groove that has to be over-inserted to catch and STAY !!!
What helps this is silicone grease on the arm OR the grommet itself , and then you really feel it pop in :crazy:
Heavy pressure on the center with small curved needle nose can expedite this technique.

Galaxybj
Car: 71 240Z HLS3030855
71 240Z HLS3023305

Gotta love old posts.
I had the joy of trying to replace the brake light rubber stopper on a 1991 240SX. Spent quite a bit of time trying to get it done, but no go.
After reading through various post I found one that turned it into an easy job - start the car, press the brake pedal all the way and the stopper goes right in.
Thank you to Glacier62!!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Good info never dies. Long live Nico!
:dblthumb:

munhoi11
Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX turbo

were you able to do it without renting a neighbors kid small enough to crawl under there to put them on

I cant even put my head into that cramped space let alone find a way to put them on

how did you guys do it show a video of how you crawled into that space so that I know how to to it

thanks

Return to “240sx General Discussion”