How do you get such negative camber?

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
jspec603
Car: 92 verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

See, that's the same assumption I was under to begin with. I understand where WidebodyZ is coming from. I guess it could be safe to call it VIP style as long as it's not flat out VIP? Who freakin knows.

sr20240sx
Car: 2000 Anniversary Q45T

AZhitman wrote:
p.s. Ever wonder if the Japanese see Grant's car and roll their eyes? Just wonderin'.
Last time I was over there (almost a year ago now) Grant only owned the Stagea (amazing how much he has learned about 'VIP' in a year) and the Japanese guys and US enlisted guys ditched him and his buddy at Nambu. It was pretty funny at the time... not because poor Grant got ditched... but why.

They thought he was NIS....

How funny is that? And me, some old ex-Navy ****, was cool with them... hell, I'd peg myself for NIS before I'd think that of Grant. But yeah. funny story. Grant the Narc. hehe. So I would have to agree, the Japanese don't pay much attention to him, unless its running away to a different spot.

So yeah... Grant? When everyone told you that they were leaving? They lied to you. Because they thought you were NIS. heh.

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Well, this thread took a nice big dump. Anyways, lets get back to the Camber side of things.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

sr20240sx wrote:So yeah... Grant? When everyone told you that they were leaving? They lied to you. Because they thought you were NIS. heh.

THAT is SOLID.

sr20240sx

Yeah, I just found that amusing...

I do have to say that while Grant comes across as a prick sometimes on the internet he is a decent guy in person.

Anyway, to get back on topic, with a bagged car what kind of camber do you guys normally see when you have it at a driving height? Like how many degrees?

WidebodyZ
Car: X300 LWB Vanden Plas / W203 C240 Luxury Sedan

In order to be vip style it must still be a 4 door luxury sedan...my C240 for instance is vip styled. If it's not under that category, than it's vip influenced or inspired.

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

sr20240sx wrote:
Last time I was over there (almost a year ago now) Grant only owned the Stagea (amazing how much he has learned about 'VIP' in a year) and the Japanese guys and US enlisted guys ditched him and his buddy at Nambu. It was pretty funny at the time... not because poor Grant got ditched... but why.

They thought he was NIS....

How funny is that? And me, some old ex-Navy ****, was cool with them... hell, I'd peg myself for NIS before I'd think that of Grant. But yeah. funny story. Grant the Narc. hehe. So I would have to agree, the Japanese don't pay much attention to him, unless its running away to a different spot.

So yeah... Grant? When everyone told you that they were leaving? They lied to you. Because they thought you were NIS. heh.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i know what your talking about

the time when the people i KNOW were still there and chilling with me?allt hose other contractor doushe bags i could care less about lol with all their stickers and ****.

my friends never left, me, LA, jeremy, and a few other guys stayed till i had to go. i dont know anyone else down there.

soooooo i think you remember wrong bro.Oh, and LA told me that night that they though i was NIS and we had a rather nice laugh about it.you guys are stupidps-youd be surprised how many JP people i hang out with lol. i tend to stray away from americans

Modified by yokota180sx at 10:02 PM 7/3/2008
Modified by yokota180sx at 10:02 PM 7/3/2008

mrmark

Unfortuately, this thread is another example of why VIP will never catch on beyond a niche fad here in the US.....too many opinions and to many so called experts.......sad but true.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

mrmark wrote:Unfortunately, this thread is another example of why VIP will never catch on beyond a niche fad here in the US.....too many opinions and to many so called experts.......sad but true.
That does bite, but at least some of us will be able to enjoy what we like and do. Mind you all, that my Q is far from being VIP, but I do have high hopes (and no money ).

Haitian_King
Car: 1992 Black Infiniti Q45 /w TCS
1995 Black Infiniti Q45

What's NIS? Just asking.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Definitely HAS to be 4-door?

What about a SC? Didn't JP have a nice one? How about a 90-95 Legend Coupe? That'd make a nice VIP ride...

I'm still waiting to see some LWB G50 President in full VIP attire!

sr20240sx

Haitian_King wrote:What's NIS? Just asking.
Naval Investigative Services. It's what NCIS used to be back in 'the day'.

AZ- I have to disagree with you on one point. I really cant see an Acura being 'VIP styled' or whatever the current approved term is this week.

Maybe it's becasue I'm in wisconsin though, and all the acuras we see are rusted out heaps with huge wings on them.

got any pics?

WidebodyZ

mrmark wrote:Unfortuately, this thread is another example of why VIP will never catch on beyond a niche fad here in the US.....too many opinions and to many so called experts.......sad but true.
This attitude doesn't help much either though Mark. I agree with you, but I try to just bite my tongue and give the best info I can.

Coupes will never be vip..only vip influenced or inspired. Sometimes in Japan it's called "vip look". Which means it emulates the styling..but doesn't fit the bill. The Acura RL is another story though..since it's a sedan and a luxury one at that. It falls well within the alternate vip chassis. The SC they did is under their "Sport" line, not vip.

Good luck seeing a LWB President over here..there's only like 2 I know of. 1 of which isn't even in the states..just the continent..Canada. My G50 is long gone. I'm building a LWB XJ right now...I'll post pics when it's finished..even though it's not a Nissan product.

Remember guys, there's no real way to do this cheaply..so don't cheapen out the style with knockoff parts and ghetto rigs. It's only going to make us look bad in the end...

jspec603

Ok Mike, tell me this. I'm going to list the things I plan on swapping onto my vert over the next few months and you tell me if it will qualify as VIP inspired.

1. I'll be ditching my Version Select kit (I'm tired of the drift look, I've had it for 5 yrs now) and getting the SuperMade kit.

2. Installing the SuperMade trunk wing.

3. Sell my Hanabi's (17x9+20 if anyone is interested) and get a set of SSR wheels (17x10 F and 17x11 R). Now the SSR's are used and will be refinished, polished lips and silver centers. Not sure of the wheel name to be honest, but they look similar to the Benz AMG wheels. Not to mention our friend camber, lots and lots.

4. Squash my Tein suspension so the car is on the ground.

5. Repaint the car the factory white, I think it looks nice and clean.

6. Possibly replace the exhaust I just bought with something different. Just install the Greddy TIc.

7. We're a Katskinz dealer at my work, so possibly refinish the seats and door panels in leather/suede or something along the lines.

You tell me, when that is all done, will that image in your head of my vert qualify as VIP inspired?
Modified by jspec603 at 10:06 PM 7/3/2008

WidebodyZ

That sounds somewhat vip inspired. It sounds like it'll look nice regardless. Why the need to label it anything other than a nice clean 240? Does it HAVE to be vip associated? I think that's the thing I don't quite understand, why people want to cling to something that doesn't relate to their car. It's like me calling my Jag a drift car since it's rear wheel drive and has an LSD. Know what I mean?

yokota180sx

buy 9s for the front

you can get more lip, and you cant see the width on the front wheels anyways from front or back like you can the rear.

jspec603

WidebodyZ wrote:That sounds somewhat vip inspired. It sounds like it'll look nice regardless. Why the need to label it anything other than a nice clean 240? Does it HAVE to be vip associated? I think that's the thing I don't quite understand, why people want to cling to something that doesn't relate to their car. It's like me calling my Jag a drift car since it's rear wheel drive and has an LSD. Know what I mean?

THB, I'm not really out here trying to label the car. At this point I'm more just curious, seeing how my simple comment on page one turned into a huge mess. I like the look I am going for and to me it seems to be VIP inspired. Was only asking if it seems like that to you seeing that you obviously deep into the scene. Nothing more nothing less.
yokota180sx wrote:buy 9s for the front you can get more lip, and you cant see the width on the front wheels anyways from front or back like you can the rear.

That's true. It's just hard to find a decent offset wheel here in the states that looks good too. The other reason I was gonna grab those SSR's is because they're not too expensive. They need to be refinished, and just so happens that we have a powder coater in house at work and I can re-polish the lips myself. But heck Grant, if you can find some wheels with decent offsets and sizes, let me know! Sucks that I don't have the cash until I sell the Hanabi's tho.

These are the ones I was thinking about grabbing and refinishing. Only $850, another couple hundred to have them redone. What do you guys think? Think I'd have to space the front to clear the Z caliper? 17x10+27F 17x11+23R

I know they look a little rough, but I think over all once the centers are powder coated silver and I polish the crap out of the lips they may look ok again. Thoughts?

Maybe just polish the entire disc as well?

Modified by jspec603 at 8:56 AM 7/4/2008

yokota180sx

i dont think you realize its gonna cost another 5-750.00 in parts to make those things fit

and alot of banging...alot

and LOL at the oldest wheel everthey are everywherei sold a set of 9 and 10js for like 400.00 bucks

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Dang Grant, harsh much? I like those wheels, old or not. I would do exactly what you are doing jspec603. We need pics when you are done.

yokota180sx

after camber, toe, traction rods for the rear to achieve the camber he needs, then rolling and pulling, and fixing if he ****s up

it can be at least500+ to fit those wheels

yokota180sx

jltibbs wrote:Dang Grant, harsh much? I like those wheels, old or not. I would do exactly what you are doing jspec603. We need pics when you are done.
im so cool i had a set alrady

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

yokota180sx wrote:im so cool i had a set already
And you had to do all of that to make those fit? Hey, jspec, if you do not want to go through all of that, just buy the wheels, fix them up, then sell them to me.

yokota180sx

nah those wheels were weaksauce

but to fit the **** he wants to

its gonna be work

jspec603

Grant, I respect everything your saying. And ya, I know they're old skool lol. I do like the style however and I think it would look pretty nasty. I'm keeping in mind the over all appearance I am going for. Hell, they looked super nasty on your 180, yours were Weds correct?

Fitment? I've already rolled and pulled my rear quarters some. came out pretty decent, no buckles or anything. And ya, I'm prepared to spend cash on camber arms and what not. Heck, I still need to swap to five lug! That's not the point tho I guess. I'm just not prepared to drop 3k on a set of wheels alone. Maybe that means I'm not Balla enough, oh well. My biggest concern with this set is the front fitment. My Hanabi's are 9j +20 and have zero issues in fitment. With the car dropped, they camber in just enough to sit within the stock unpulled fender. Do you guys think a 10j +27 would need to be spaced and pulled? Also if need be, I'll tub the front fenders. I've got sheet metal and a welder.

And Grant, I'm serious about get a set of wheels from you at the right time as well. You say this style is everywhere in JP? I'd rock a set of 9jF and 10jR with a decent offset if some were to be found. My overall goal is to have a super nasty, ridiculous fitment. And on a last note, you can blame yourself Grant for getting me hooked on this style wheel. As plain as your 180 was, it's one of my favorite cars!

yokota180sx

those particular wheels are really only left in 8j 9j setups anymore becuase i sold so many to you guys.

but 9j 10j for around 1300 bucks shipped in Better condition than that is so easy

ive never spent 3k on a set of wheels my friend.tubbing isnt the problem, you need ar least 30 overs, and spacers to bring the offset lower to clear your coilovers

17x9.5 +18 almot hit coilovers...just remember that

jspec603

Hmmm, Now you have me thinking. I am trying to stay away from over fenders. I went the route on an old coupe and just got sick of the look. As a matter of fact, my +20 front fenders are right next to me in my room lol.

I agree with the fact that most of the wheels in that style are 8j and 9j. RBWheel has many brands of that style and thats what they all are, accept these particular ones. Granted, some are running 8j -1 etc, but that's just not wide enough. 1300 shipped isn't a bad deal at all. I'll be keeping that in mind. I've got this one kid on the fence about the Hanabi's. His thing is that he can't picture them on his car. I was like, its a white hatch and they're on a white vert....?

How hard is it to find the AME wheels used? The Shallen LX is sort of similar in design. I assume they're a bit more pricey.

yokota180sx

not surei dont liek to sell AME

they are gay

18x9 +0 18x10 +20

jspec603

That's a super nasty setup as well. I def want to go with a wheel with a soild face like this. I've tried navigating the UpGarage site, just never seem to find the good wheels. Usually all weak offsets and widths. I def want to beable to run some aggressive camber, i don't like the flush look at all. Do you happen to know how much camber was on the setup in that pic ^^?

yokota180sx

enough to make it flush

i dunno

i never measure my camberi onyl care about toe and caster

jspec603

So here's where I get confused a bit. I've been following the wheel fitment thread on Z, they seem to have a nasty thread. Some ppl are claiming to be running 17x10.5+15 with a 3mm spacer to clear...is that possible? Here's the car. He claims he's only done a pulled fender in the front.

Perhaps it was a typo? Cause as you said Grant, 9.5j +18 is close to rubbing.

Return to “VIP Forum”