Horrible Fuel Economy

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

Bergerman wrote:I would define commuter driving as normal around town stuff. I have 24 miles one way to work of highway and the rest would be around town stuff with short trips. Maybe i'll burn a tank of 89 to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.
Higher octane rating wont improve mpg.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

pbrady- that sounds like a fuel system problem. Incorrect air flow for combustion, bad fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator (a well documented Versa problem), a clogged fuel filter, or any combination of them. That will kill your gas mileage, too.

pbrady12
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback

The only thing that sucks is that untill the computer says a part is bad, they won't change it. last time I took it in I had them check every part in the fuel system. Everything checked good according to their computers and machines. Maybe with the car almost dying I can say it is a safety issue.

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

I thought I was the guy who started this thread almost 2 years ago with the same "Horrible MPG's" title!

Your story is told and re-told on this forum with the same type of replies and comments. "It's your driving", "you don't know how to figure out proper mpg's", "unhook your battery', etc etc.

And of course the really lame ones who want to brag about how great their mpg's are, on a thread that is out there looking for a possible solution to lousy mpgs.

I decided long ago that I am not going to find the answer to bad Versa mpg's on this forum or any other either , because whatever the real problem is, it's a combination of so many variables that no one will ever be able to give you an issue you can actually FIX.

My 07 SL with the CVT Tech package and lots of glamor mods, now has 40,000 kms of 90% highway driving, expensive synthetic oil changes, different octane ratings (dealer suggestion)full dealer computer scan for codes (none) driving like an old geezer (well that one is easy as I am an old Geezer) hypermiling tricks, obsessive maintenence, and so on.

When the car is paid off I am giving it to a graduating Grandson and hope that he gets a good trade in value on something that gets better mpgs than his old rusty 94 Cavalier because the Versa never did.

There are 5 passenger cars out there right now (and not hybrids) that get 36 in the city and over 40 on the highway with consistently better mpgs than the EPA sticker.

Don't get me started on Nissans inflated EPA ratings, in Canada the sticker says 47 mpg highway, mine has averaged 32 or less, and that's in the old Imperial Gallons, 20% LARGER than the U.S. gallon.

In U.S. numbers, that's about 25 mpg HIghway, on a perfect day.

I will miss the things about the Versa I like, but I will be happy to see it's cute little square **s go gas guzzling it's way down the road.

Modified by longo at 9:03 AM 4/8/2009

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Way to open a can of worms, Longo. No one is 'bragging' about their good mileage - but those of us getting at or beyond EPA gas mileage in their Versas are simply not in the minority. You're tired of hearing about folks that achieve great gas mileage in their Versas simply because you want to slam it for being a gas guzzler. I understand your frustration, but for goodness sake, just sell the dang thing and get over it. Gripe all you want, but it obviously isn't helping the situation.

Of course no one is going to have the 'answer' on a forum like this. For many members, this is their first car. And regardless of that, short of maintenance items that affect fuel economy as a car ages, what 'answers' do you expect people to come up with? Considering many folks still report their fuel economy in "miles to a tank" or fail to consider the effects of cold weather, fuel blends, and excessive warm-up time, I'd say that these factors should come up in any gas mileage discussion, whether you tire of reading it or not.

And why oh why can people not get it through their heads that auto manufacturers do not set the fuel consumption ratings for their vehicles? In the US, the EPA tests cars and provides the economy rating. In Canada, it would appear that new cars have an economy rating applied by EnerGuide, which seems to be a government-related entity (but I don't know much about that).

I have done the research on plenty of other cars in this segment, though, and found that they all had much higher MPG ratings (taking into account proper unit conversion from L/km) in Canada than reported by the EPA in the US. It would appear that the EPA is more conservative in its testing procedures. Similarly, it would seem that much of the mileage complaints come from Canada - is that at least partially due to the overly-generous fuel economy ratings up there?

longo

Well, finally a forum member has come up with the solution to all our bad Versa mpg posts.

So, "pbrady 12", "Bergerman", "dangene", "1 sleek Versa" and "fjwagner" to name just a few....

"Rockhound" says, "just sell the dang thing and get it over with"

pbrady12

yet another useless post..........Here it is plain and simple: My car gets 24mpg in every condition where others get the EPA estimate. I'm pretty sure the problem with my Versa will never be resolved, but if anyone finds a solution I would like to know. Other than the fuel economy, I feel the Versa is an awesome car. If I wasn't upside down on the it I would sell it. As of now getting rid of the car is the best solution. Due to the lack of effort on Nissan's part in addressing or fixing the issue I will probably never own another Nissan.

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

well now, lets see i avg. about 28mpg... and thats hard driving... avg spreeds around 70-90 mph... and of course in city and stop and go traffic...

keanucosmo

The only way this will be resolved is by logging data for 2 Versas of the same type i.e. 2 SL's with CVT or 2 6MT, or 2 A4 Versas. Get one with good mileage and one with bad. Fill up each car at the same pump and let the driver that gets the good mileage drive the same loop, that would be at least 200 miles, in both cars. I don't think a scanguage will record enough data to be useful. It will probably take something like this software from Autoenginiuity. http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html ... /N....html

There are so many sensors that need to be logged and analyzed. A test like this would allow a comparison to see what the difference is.

To say driving style or break-in or transmission is the difference between 24 and 33 mpg is BS. Sure there may be differences related to those, but I drive a 6MT S and have averaged over 32.5 mpg over 33K miles. My mpg after 10K miles went up 1-1.5 mpg. But that was also winter vs summer driving.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Quote »Due to the lack of effort on Nissan's part in addressing or fixing the issue I will probably never own another Nissan. [/quote]This is not Nissan's problem. This is the very reason the disclaimer "Your mileage may vary" or something similar printed next to the mileage ratings.

If the dealership finds no faulty codes, no apparent mechanical or electronic defect, and nothing wrong with the car, what are they supposed to do? They don't test for the mileage ratings, the government agencies do.

If other Versas get higher mileage than obviously the cars get the fuel mileage as stated.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

pbrady12 wrote:y

I feel the Versa is an awesome car.

If I wasn't upside down on it I would sell it. As of now getting rid of the car is the best solution. Due to the lack of effort on Nissan's part in addressing or fixing the issue I will probably never own another Nissan.
aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Rockhound

longo wrote:Well, finally a forum member has come up with the solution to all our bad Versa mpg posts.

So, "pbrady 12", "Bergerman", "dangene", "1 sleek Versa" and "fjwagner" to name just a few....

"Rockhound" says, "just sell the dang thing and get it over with"
Give me a break. So you can come up with six Versa owners reporting poor mileage as proof of some epidemic?

Clearly you didn't read my whole post, so I'll try and keep this short so you can get through it all. You yourself mention that you will be giving the car away to hopefully be traded in by your grandson, right? Notice I didn't say everyone getting bad mileage should sell their cars, just that it sounds like you'd be much happier in something else.

If the car gives you that much grief - and your only contribution to the forum is to gripe about gas mileage, then it sounds like you'd be better off in another car. How am I wrong?

Furthermore, you didn't address the fact that you're mad at Nissan for a fuel economy rating they didn't assign. How's that for logic?

pbrady12

contradicting myself????? I love this car other than the gas milege. Nissan will do nothing if the computer says everything is right. this is the problem with the mechanical world today. Like I said before I work on B-52's as a jet engine mechanic. we have limits on fuel consumption. no computers. if the fuel consumption is excessive we start changing components. ex: fuel pump or fuel control.(the fuel control is the equivalent to a carburator or injection system) I feel the computer is defective, but untill the computer tells the mechanic it is defective it cannot be changed. My car along with a small number of others has a common issue that nissan will not recognise because the computers will not admit they are messed up. All I want is my car to perform like the Versa's that thousands of owners enjoy. So again I state: If anyone has found a resolution to the "rare" poor fuel economy, please let me know.

JoeGordon
Car: 2009 Versal SL Hatchback

I have a 2009 SL hatchback. At 2,500 miles, the car is getting about 19mpg in city driving in S. California. Is this likely to improve over the next year?

longo

Joe, welcome to the Versa Forum, too bad your first post is about bad mpgs on your new Vesa. On this subject everyone here is an expert, but the answer to your question "will it improve" is probably 'time will tell'

One early poster, purchased a new o7 Versa in NYC a couple of years ago to deliver flyers to appartments...he was getting 11 mpg.

Now that's "City Driving",

I have seen Nissan Versa's now being used as Taxies, That's 'City Driving' from Hell.

After you have a few thousand miles of City Driving on your new Versa, and it's still giving you real ugly mpgs, take your case to a Nissan Dealership and hope the car has thrown a code they can find.

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

Well, I'm just going to say it. Either those calcs are bad or the story is . Either way, I don't believe a Versa is getting 19 or 11 mpg. My Silverado 5.3 V-8 gets 19 mpg.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

City driving in Redondo Beach is incredibly different than city driving anywhere in AZ and a Versa could very easily be getting less than 20 mpg in Redondo. You're dealing with short blocks, 25 mph speed limits, lots of stopped traffic, lots of idling, etc.

To tell you the truth, Bubs, you are so quick to dismiss anyone who reports poor gas mileage as a poor driver or a liar instead of actually helping them solve their problems that you are starting to sound like either a salesman from a Nissan dealership or a plant from Nissan's corporate offices.

How about focusing on helping people instead of criticizing them?

JoeGordon, as the engine breaks in you may see up to about a 10% gain in gas mileage. It might be worth investing in a Scanguage II to find out what rpms you need to be running in the tough driving conditions you have there by the beach. If you're doing all your driving close to home and not getting up on the freeway at highway speed much I think you could probably get your Versa up to 24-25 mpg by really babying the rpms on accelleration.

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

Last time I checked there were plenty of 25 mph blocks through Phoenix, too. You ever driven through Phoenix? We have plenty of city blocks and let me tell you about the backed up traffic, idling, and A/C use year round.

I drive stop and go all the time. I get in traffic jams, use the A/C constantly, idle all that stuff. There isn't some magical traffic conditions in Redondo. In fact, in Phoenix, it's probably worse. Much worse.

11 mpg? It's bulltucky. I call 'em as I see 'em. Either their math is wrong or they are idling 8 hours a day. Or they're telling a bald faced lie. A '72 Police Plymouth Gran Fury on a 2 hour perp chase through three counties gets better than 11 mpg.

And no, LOL, I don't work for Nissan. I have a Chevy truck as well, don't work for them.

Here. I'm going to say it. For the "My Versa gets 5 mpg and I don't even drive it" group. You're stomping on the gas. Stop stomping on the gas. Feather the accelerator pedal. Don't let your RPM's go over 3000 unless passing. Stop dividing wrong. Do the calculations twice to make sure. And make sure you're filling up to the same spot each time. That way the calcs are consistent and valid.

I say some of this in jest. Just some. Very little. Please relax. Trying to bring a little levity (brevity?) to the situation.

Rockhound

Bubs daddy wrote:A '72 Police Plymouth Gran Fury on a 2 hour perp chase through three counties gets better than 11 mpg.
Now that's hilarious! I just about blew mountain dew out of my nose while reading that.

I do think Bubs makes some good points, especially the 'levity' comment.

But I too call BS on the 11 MPG claim. But the thing is, Longo, there's "city driving" and then there's just pure punishment on your car. Short-trip, stop-go delivery runs in traffic with the need for A/C and excessive idling will net some pretty horrid mileage. 11 MPG? I most certainly doubt it.

And in those cases of "extreme" urban driving conditions, every car will fall short of its EPA rating, as they certainly don't test under such conditions.

On the other hand, these are not the driving conditions that others (like pbrady12) are reporting, so for his case, that's a moot point.

pbrady12

If I wanted to hear about your silverdo I'd ask. I get 24mph hwy. If you don't believe me, come do the math yourself. You can even do the driving.

robj80
Car: 2014 Frontier
2011 Rogue

Wow you guys are making this newb worried about my FE on my versa. I got the 1.6 though and all this talk seems to be the 1.8. I've got 280 miles on my car and on this first tank of gas. I've only burned half a tank. Even if I burned the whole 13.2 gallon tank that's still like 21mpg. I do 75/25 highway/city with an occasional traffic jam. I don't have a feather foot. I do take off slowly but my cruizing speeds on the highway are in the 70's sometimes 80's.

pbrady12

I really hope you fuel economy gets better. The dealership told me to wait untill 1,000mi then 5,000mi and then 10,000mi. I was promised the economy would improve. I've tried different octanes, gas stations, and driving habbits. 24mpg consistantly. I Live in an area with flat roads, but have also traveled north to areas with mountians. If you see no improvement in fuel economy I would fight for the dealer to take it back before you are stuck. My car has been resently having issues with it almost dying at random times. I might be bale to get it looked att his weekend. I'm hoping the issues are related and a solution will be the result. Don't get me wrong, I Love the Versa, but I want the fuel economy most are getting.

JoeGordon
Car: 2009 Versal SL Hatchback

Thanks to all who responded for the feedback. Very little of my driving is freeway or highway driving. And the MPG average has varied from 21.08 in February to 18.56 more recently. The occasional use recently of A/C could explain the reduction. It's certainly not what I hoped for, but we don't use the Versa that much (about 600 miles/month).

And, yes, Redondo Beach has lots of short blocks and stop signs, some of which I have to negotiate every day.

I'm much more concerned about the way-too-sensitive car alarm that came with our SL hatchback. This goes off if a big truck rumbles down the street. It's into the dealer tomorrow for that problem.
Modified by JoeGordon at 11:37 PM 4/16/2009

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I've driven in Phoenix plenty of times, including rush hour. Redondo is worse due to shorter blocks and more stop signs (fewer traffic signals), especially if you live in it full-time as opposed to commuting to it and only driving in those conditions part-time, Bubs. Also, we're talking to someone getting in the 20 mpg range, not 11.

robj80
2011 Rogue

I've got 350 miles on this tank of gas so far. The gauge reads quarter tank left. I am going to fill up and calculate mileage. I have no real way to even determine if the dealer filled the tank all the way but it seems like great fuel economy from the 1.6 thus far.

jonrpatrick
Car: '07 Versa

I've got about 28k on my '07 V now... and my mileage has settled pretty consistently at about 33-35 mpg. The best I know of I got 35.2.That's almost 100% city/suburb driving.It's also about 15-20% better than I got when the car had, say, 5K on the odo.One thing that changed was my driving habits. I mostly have stopped flooring it and making the car DO what I want, and much more relaxed and work WITH the car.It's made a world of difference.

robj80
2011 Rogue

Just did my first fill up in the 1.6. I traveled 375 miles and only pumped 10.325 gallons to fill back up. That equals 36.32mpg. Not bad for the very first fill. If it goes up after a little while I will be thrilled. This was with 70/30 highway/city. Average speeds on highway was 75mph. Also it's hilly terrain if that matters.

pbrady12

And again I am trying to get back to the original post............I could give 2 s***s if you get good fuel economy. I know the Nissan Versa gets awesome fuel economy. My Versa however gets 24mpg. I'm looking for a resolution to my issue. If you are getting, or have gotten poor fuel economy and have found a solution..........please let me know. If not, just read this and move on.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

pbrady12 wrote:And again I am trying to get back to the original post............I could give 2 s***s if you get good fuel economy. I know the Nissan Versa gets awesome fuel economy. My Versa however gets 24mpg. I'm looking for a resolution to my issue. If you are getting, or have gotten poor fuel economy and have found a solution..........please let me know. If not, just read this and move on.
A little testy aren't you? I happen to get poor fuel mileage and do not have a solution. However, a thread about fuel economy is going to get discussion, so I would suggest that you should just not read the posts that do not interest you (Including this one) rather than the other way around. You probably should feel good that so much discussion was generated on a topic that obviously interests lots of people. Cheers. Fred

longo

(pbrady).This is one thread that has been covered over and over here under many different headings, altho not one quite so, 'to the point' as yours. The dealership who sold you your new car, hopes/prays you get good results but if you don't, no one really has a clue to what's going on unless your car throws a code for a fault somwhere in the air/fuel system. There has been some talk on the Versa Forum about bad O2 sensors and fuel regulators and you certainly do have a right to have that checked, as poor mpg's would certainly be a result of either condition.

There are also many of us who have had the complete diagnostics done because of the mpg issue, and the results were, no codes for anything out of order. So, that leaves us, basically nowhere from the dealers point of view, looking for a "fix" to the problem, so don't be suprised when they start lecturing you about bad driving habbits, poor fuel selection, your car isn't 'broken in' yet, etc etc.

I was driving a water truck for a living when I was 16..I am now 70, so I have been around the block a few times and get a chuckle out of all the advice about, how to; "drive like you have a raw egg under your foot, don't use the a/c, empty out the trunk, blow your tires up until they are like rocks, drive 10% under the speed limit" etc etc.

All good advice it you are in a hypermiling contest, but I like to carry a spare, a quiet safe ride at freeway speeds, usually have my wife of 50 years beside me and the dog sleeping in the back seat, and really like keep out of the way of that huge Truck looming in my rear view mirror.

For those owners who are indeed getting the EPA numbers or better, good for you, post those results on a thread that is about Great MPG's, for anyone who has found a solution to Horrible mpgs on THEIR Versa, please share that here, or here.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Good Luck trying to find the solution to your mpg problem, and I really mean that, for all of us in the same boat.

Return to “Versa General Chat”