Hood vibrates at 120+mph

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Flybye

The corners of the hood look like this violent monster at high speeds. At 140mph it just outright feels like its going to vibrate right off. Of course I’ve made sure its locked in.

I’ve thought about lowering the latch or maybe raising the bumper lip somehow to not let as much air under the hood. I definitely don’t want hood pins, though.

What have you guys done about it?

macgiver

Out of curiosity , what's with the " def. no hood pins" , because especially at those speeds , race speed , it IS the DeFacto solution ,by track / racers . And if applicable to the car , done correctly with REAL quality parts , they still look "cool" , cause if you either want a total "sleeper" , or it's looks you think would not like - safety probly trumps any "cons" here ,right ?
For me not to sound like a Dumass , I have seen push/cable operated security setups , and someone who actually has something I don't know of, more what your talking I 'm all for and don't want / not trying to deterr more knowledgeable help for you , good luck - be SAFE.

Flybye

Lol you don’t sound like a dumbass. You already mentioned something I didn’t know: cable operated security setups. I will start researching so TY.

Sorry, but I am not into “cool.” I don’t want hood pins sticking out the top. Less is more. I may or may not have tubed up a BOV on a previous car back into an aftermarket air filter box to muzzle out the sound. Everyone thought it was stock but could still pull 170+mph and probably 12s, but I’m not a 1/4 guy so who knows. :cool:

I never had this problem with another car. I am pretty sure Nissan didn’t expect people to be doing 140+ in the Altima. But hey. Their fault for blessing the 3.5 sedan with a real manual. :biggrin:

macgiver

OK , I'll elaborate on what my dad had in an 87 Olds Cierra - a springloaded/ pushbutton /locking cable inside and under dash. Had the coke machine (round cylinder) kind of small key . The other end went to front of hood (front-lifting hood) . And a sliding pin (mtd on radiator support ), thick as a pencil extended an inch or two into the corresponding bracket mtd on hood for a good "security" deterrant . BUT I would't say it was as POSITIVE as hood pins , especially tightened -up with rubber washers for racing.Now several of that type setup , say in every corner that "goes crazy" on you , may stabilize enough for you , ya know.

It was back in MA , years ago the "system" named after a guy , popular Dealer push on older buyers .I forget the name.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Your title says 120 mph, then you say 140 and then 170, you sound like somebody else we all know but maybe don't love.

You don't lower the latch, you raise the outer corner rubber bumpers and add them to back corners if needed. Assuming the typical hood composition of double wall mild steel.

Not going to ask what 170 mph you are dreaming about. If engine is not balanced then where some of your shaking likely is, assuming wheels and tires are right.

muscleOHV
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL crashed 188k miles
2012 Infiniti G25 with 115k miles
1999 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 218k miles

This is an 2007-2012 Altima, right?

Ive taken only up to 120mph with my 2.5 4-cyl on freeways

But not 140mph, 170mph or anysort

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”