Homelink garage door opener programming SOLUTION!!!

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
alwaysfixing
Car: 2013 Murano

If you have a Garage Door Opener that has rolling codes, you MUST follow the instructions in the Nissan manual to get the Nissan Homelink system to work. I don't know why anyone would tell you to discard that information because it's perfectly correct EXCEPT FOR ONE THING: The PHOTO in the manual.

Here's the problem: The PHOTO in the Nissan Manual shows the garage door remote control device being held next to the rear view mirror in order to enter the correct code. THIS WILL NOT WORK if you garage door opener is post 1993 and uses rolling codes. Depending on what garage door opener you use (Mine is a 2014 LIFTMASTER) you MUST use the special HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE to program the Nissan Homelink codes into the vehicle. The HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE comes with the Liftmaster opener. It has ONE LARGE WIDE BUTTON, not the three buttons that also come with the unit and will operate the opener without using the Homelink system.

If you try to use the 3-button remote that comes with the garage door opener (as illustrated in the Nissan manual) to enter the codes into the Nissan Homelink system, and if your opener is the more modern type that uses ROLLING CODES, you will find that the Nissan Homelink system will NOT accept the handheld remote code at all. The rapidly flashing light that shows when it DOES accept the code WILL NOT HAPPEN. Instead, use the single button HOMELINK REMOTE to enter the codes into the Nissan Homelink system. That's the only change to the instructions in the Nissan Manual.

You must then COMPLETE the rest of the process described in the NIssan Manual. So the sequence is this:

1) Clear all prior codes from the Nissan Homelink system as shown in the Nissan Manual
2) Use the HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE (it has ONE LARGE button) to train the Nissan Homelink button holding the Homelink Training Remote next to the mirror while pressing the HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE BUTTON at the same time you are pressing the desired NISSAN Homelink button (the button to be programmed); keeping them BOTH depressed continuously until the indicator flashes rapidly red on the Nissan Mirror. Then Lift your fingers from both buttons. Now you have entered rolling codes into your Nissan system, but you have not yet trained the garage opener to recognize those codes.
3) Put the Homelink Training remote aside; you don't need it for the rest of the operations. You now go to the Opener and depress the LEARNING button. It's usually a yellow button usually located where the wired switches connect to the garage opener unit. (lift up access doors if necessary on the opener but be sure the vehicle is parked outside so the door can operate without hitting your vehicle.)

You have 30 secs after you press the Learn button on the Garage Opener to get back into your Nissan and PRESS THE VERY SAME NISSAN Homelink button you recently programmed. Press and release it up to 3 times. Each time you press it, hold it for about 2-3 secs to give the opener time to receive the rolling codes. When it receives the proper code the door will operate. That's when you are done.

NOTE: If you have two vehicles with HOMELINK buttons that use the same opener (double wide door), you repeat these same steps in the other vehicle. You again use the HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE (single button remote) to program the desired Homelink button in that vehicle. The method of programming each vehicle is very similar but some vehicles have a different indication that they have received the code (Lexus indicator goes solid GREEN for example). In all cases, once the Vehicle system has the code from the HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE, you use only the HOMELINK button to teach the Garage Opener to recognize that vehicle's homelink buttton.

Of course the standard 2- or 3-button "clicker" that came with your garage opener ALSO will work with the opener. But that remote will NOT always work with the HOMELINK system. Best to use the HOMELINK TRAINING REMOTE. The reason is that, not only do rolling vs fixed codes affect the ability to properly program Homelink, but also modern Homelink systems operate at a different Radio Frequency than the older remotes. For this reason, if you garage opener is intended to work with a Homelink system, it will now usually come with a separate radio transceiver that is labeled as part of the Homelink system.

maduko
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe

Sharing some information I just learned while trying to program the Homelink in my 2010 Infiniti G37 sedan.

There are different color-coded receivers in these Liftmaster/Chamberlain/Craftsman/Do It garage door openers. Mine has a yellow learn button/antenna and no matter what or how I go about it the damn light on the Homelink never blinks fast!

However I have found several accounts where the units with a purple learn button/antenna will program without any trouble whatsoever. This also jives with the fact these repeaters they sell you have a purple antenna.

Frustrating as hell. Had I known I would have never purchased this opener!

maduko
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37S Coupe

BUT WAIT.... there's more!

I sent a gripe letter to Homelink complaining that a product's claim of compatibility is a tad lame if said product requires some doo dad to achieve it. Lo and behold they responded.

Homelink claims they notified auto manufacturers back in 2006 of this impending change. Some updated their systems immediately- others have yet to do so. But here's the best part:
Some manufacturers updated their systems early, some did not. This technology has been on the market since 2011 and some manufacturers STILL have not updated to the newer Homelink systems. That is why the manufacturer of some vehicle models, depending on the year, are eligible for a free repeater, paid for by the manufacturer of the car. This is also the case for you. I can send you a free repeater kit, courtesy of Infiniti, to make your vehicle work.
So I just got off the phone with them and they are sending me a free repeater kit. Their toll-free number is 800.355.3515.

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

Yay! Free is the best price ever! Let us know how it works.

My Homelink would NOT reset or program until I changed the blown fuse - the one which makes the bell sound when you leave the intelligent key in it's slot. New fuse and everything works great!

I love my M!!!

dtamminga2
Car: 2010 Nissan Armada

Ok...even after reading the posts I am still having problems pairing our 2010 Armada. Our 2009 Ram and 2014 BMW paired with no problems. The Armada light just blinks slowly...never pairing. Ive tried the instructions in the manual, online, even the canadian instructions, but nothing is working. Am I missing something? I can't see why in the hell I would need a repeater when the other 2 cars paired fine. PLEASE help! Ready to pull my hair out. Thanks!!!!
Dann

Rogue Sport
Car: Nissan Rogue Sport

Just bought a 2017 Rogue Sport with a "Frameless Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror"
The universal remote garage door opener is NOT HomeLink and the manual doesn't
tell you this. The remote is ARQ by Chamberlain. Here is a link to the programing instructions.
https://arq.chamberlain.com/programming ... ener/learn

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but none of the answers I've found solve my problem. I have an '07G35 Journey. I had been able to program the homelink at our first home here in San Antonio, but now at the new house it won't program at all. I've cleared it several times and tried the press/de-press routine as well as the OP's method. None work. The light blinks slowly for about 45s then just stops. I've tried two different remotes and didn't need a specific training remote, as mentioned in one post, before. Perhaps since my wife got out 2015 Ram pickup programmed when I couldn't it's time to give her a go at it. LOL.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Tried all methods, found out if your garage door opener has a yellow antenna instead of a black one you'll need to get their repeater for it to work...frequency translation issue. With craftsman, call them and tell them and they'll send you one for free. Not all models get it for free, I believe you have to tell them you have an 09 M35 3rd quarter to get it for free.

Crumy23
Car: 2011 Infiniti QX56

Great info about contacting HomeLink (with the included phone number) for a free repeater. Of note - as of June 2022 they no longer offer the repeater kit free. In fact I just bought a new Chamberlain garage door motor this month and HomeLink hasn't even been able to update their repeater systems to be compatible with the newest models. So as of right now I'm left with zero option but to purchase a standard garage door remote until they can update the software to become compatible. (Bummer)

Return to “Murano Forum”