HLSD for the altima coupe!

All things Altima Coupe.
RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

mcheddadi wrote:I DID IT! FCK YEAH! WOUOOOOOOHOOOO!!!

FIRST ALTIMA COUPE WITH HLSD IN THE WORLD!

small step for...who am I kiding, HUGE STEP FOR ME, HUGE STEP FOR THE WORLD!!

pics later!
sshhhwwwweeeaaaatttttt

congrats dude, thats awesome, you gota let us know what itsl ike! how much did the parts set you back for the part itself if u dont mind me asking?

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Noooice! Congrats man. Nobody can doubt your dedication now!

mcheddadi
Car: R8

ESP wrote:Noooice! Congrats man. Nobody can doubt your dedication now!
FCK YEAH!
RobPaulson wrote:
sshhhwwwweeeaaaatttttt

congrats dude, thats awesome, you gota let us know what itsl ike! how much did the parts set you back for the part itself if u dont mind me asking?
the HLSD itself is really cheap! 650$ normal cost but you can get it down to 500$

mcheddadi

here's some pic of today's process, will post a heck more later in the tutorial (got about 200)

Cracked case open FTW!

thats the stock open diff

upside down

removed the bearing using an awesome puller

removed the bearing on the other side and started to unscrew final gear

final gear is off

stock on the left and HLSD on the right

bolted final gear on HLSD FTMFW!!!

putting back the bearings on the HLSD

Using the press to squish it back on the HLSD

Tada! EPIC PLUG AND PLAY !

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

Damn bro...

So do you have it on the road yet?

mcheddadi

I'm going to put the trans back in the car Tuesday and bolt back everything back then. I should do a review later that day

but you can expect the review to be nothing less than amazement at the awesome traction and reduced torque steer and reduced understeer

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Awesome work dude!

maxentropy
Car: '08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

Damn Mched! Nice work!!

Let us know how it drives!

marcelo929
Car: 3.5 SE Altima Coupe

bump

mcheddadi

BIG UPDATE!: ok I can finally say that everything is done and complete for thd HLSD. I can confirm to everyone that it works, it works and it works!!!!!

NO MORE TORQUE STEER, NO WHEEL SLIP AT ALL! so much less understeer in my corners!! this is awesome!

I ran into a BIG hickup though, FLYWHEEL GOT LOOSE!!!

I had to go at nissan and it wasn't covered by the warranty so it cost me an extra 625$ US (700$ CAD).

if you do the install, watch out for the flywheel

but otherwise, this is the best thing ever!!!!!

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Dude, why didnt the shop that did this make sure the flywheel was secured... and even after they didnt, why didnt you bring it back there instead of to nissan?!?!

Im glad the project worked!

mcheddadi

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Dude, why didnt the shop that did this make sure the flywheel was secured... and even after they didnt, why didnt you bring it back there instead of to nissan?!?!

Im glad the project worked!
They where cluless about the flywheel being unsecured.

I had to go at nissan for their CONSULT-III thing that reads error codes.and after the flywell re-install they have to use the CONSULT-III to reset and reprogram the sensors and stuff so I left it at the dealership.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

So they can install a HLSD, but dont know that a flywheel needs to be secured? (last time you are going there i hope lol)

Isnt there a pep boys or some sort of auto store chain by you? They will typically check codes for free!

Its also not a bad idea to pickup a reader if you plan on doing stuff like this!

mcheddadi

LongBeachCoupe wrote:So they can install a HLSD, but dont know that a flywheel needs to be secured? (last time you are going there i hope lol)

Isnt there a pep boys or some sort of auto store chain by you? They will typically check codes for free!

Its also not a bad idea to pickup a reader if you plan on doing stuff like this!
yeah a reader is something I plan on getting lol.

you guys are too lucky in USA, pepboys and auto stores are everywhere, here we have nothing. well we do have stuff but you have to search real hard. lol

and yeah, last time I'm going there with the whole car. they do awesome work on standalone transmissions but their trans re-mounting skills suck lol

Mr. Music
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT w/ Convenience Package
In the family: '02 S15 Spec R, '09 Rogue

Awesomeness! Thankfully your flywheel issue didn't seem to cause any damage. This would have been an opportune time for a clutch/flywheel upgrade (if it existed) so you can beat on it with a turbo! By the way, what the heck is that plastic looking gear between the bearing and the body of the differential for?

mcheddadi

Mr. Music wrote:Awesomeness! Thankfully your flywheel issue didn't seem to cause any damage. This would have been an opportune time for a clutch/flywheel upgrade (if it existed) so you can beat on it with a turbo! By the way, what the heck is that plastic looking gear between the bearing and the body of the differential for?
It's the speedo gear, but its there on every diff only to save cost. it's for non ABS equipped models, but since we got abs it's basically useless.

I wished I could have upgraded the flywheel and clutch. I hope the one coming from ACT for the SpecV will be compatible

and for anyone who wants more info on Torsen/HLSD differentials:http://www.carbibles.com/trans....htmlgreat site!

mcheddadi

Thanks to boredmder from maxima.org (and from just checking my receipt, Doh!) , I just learned that the true part number of the HLSD I got from the 07+ Sentra SpecV is 38411-8U000.

The part number that coursteyparts uses isn't the universal part number from Nissan that all the dealers understand if you decide to buy it from a dealership.

38411-8U000 is the same HLSD as the A33B Maxima (2000-2003), B15 Sentra SE-R SpecV (2002-2006) and of course B16 Sentra SE-R SpecV (2007 to present).

There are two HLSD part numbers for the recent Nissans and the other one is 38411-8U010.38411-8U010 is the one in the A34 Maxima (2004).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I got they are the same and they are compatible with each other. The only difference could be the presence of a Speedo gear on the 38411-8U010. On my 38411-8U000 there wasn't one so I just reused the one in my tranny. (btw the speedo gear is useless since I got abs. it's there by default on all transmissions)

should help you guys get the best deal on it since it doesn't have to come from the 07+ specV if you retrofit the diff only.

there is an alternative to having the transmission opened and swapping the diff. if your transmission goes out before warranty is over, or if you if you can't find a GOOD transmission shop, you can always just order the WHOLE RS6F52H transmisson from the 07+ Sentra SpecV that already has the HLSD in it. It's a direct bolt-on and you just have to put it in place of your original RS6F52A transmission. No opening transmission, less expensive or dangerous than having a shop charge you extra for swapping the diff.here's the link to it:http://www.courtesyparts.com/3....html

it's tree times as expensive than buying only the diff, but it's a lot faster to install. You can find those transmissions used for cheap if you know where to look.anyways it's an alternative.

Rob.Vegan
Car: 08 2.5S Altima Coupe 76 Datsun 280z (not running)

Congrats Mehdi.

Time for tranny swaps from CVT to 6mt

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

lol thats exactly what i thought but we'd also have to do other stuff too like the TCU (Transmission Control Unit), all the wiring..... plus my brother blew the motor in his 01 GT Mustang and when he swapped the motor it came from a Mustang that was stick and his was auto so they had to modify something for the motor to bolt up to the auto transmission...... i'm no professional though, just my thoughts..... it would be nice but i'd personally wait for someone else to do it lol

mehdi, have you tried launching the car hard yet? ppl say that the manuals get crazy wheel spin off the line and everything, have you tried a good launch yet? if so, what RPM are you able to launch it at now?

Rob.Vegan
Car: 08 2.5S Altima Coupe 76 Datsun 280z (not running)

Ya I know there would be a ton of modifications in store if I decided to pursue any type of transmission swap but it's nice to think about when I am down about my CVT

But hey that's what project cars are for. I'll have my A/C looking sweet and riding comfortably and have a fun toy car that I can tear up waiting for me

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

lol ya

One Crazy Max
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 6MT

so is the tranny back in the car yet?

is it operating properly?

mcheddadi

One Crazy Max wrote:so is the tranny back in the car yet?

is it operating properly?
http://forums.altimas.org/zero...73825

sergofast

Hussain wrote:will it also work with CVT altima coupes :hide
Actually yes - talk to Darren Surrat at Nisformance.com - he just did a 6 speed swap on a 7th gen max - no more CVT....

sergofast

Another trans to note - you can take the Spec V gear stack/6 speed trans and swap it over to the bell housing from a 5 speed 02-04 Altima. Niformance will do this for $600 bucks...

You can swap the gear stack from a Spec-V into the following year cars trans to take advantage of the gear ratio, triple syncros on 1-3 gear and HLSD:
02-03 Maxima 6 speed
04-06 Maxima 6 speed
02-04 Altima 5 speed
05-06 Altima 5 (or 6) speed

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”