High speed shimmy/vibration

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
ex35

Anyone have any other suggestions? I just can't believe that by merely taking the wheels off the car and putting them back on (with correct torque specs), I somehow altered the balance of the wheels. This nagging vibration was gone after a good road force balance at the Infiniti dealer but then reappeared after I did a brake job (pads, not rotors). Because the balance cleared up the vibration, albeit for a short period of time, I don't think it's a bent wheel issue.

Also, why does it seem like Nissan/Infiniti has more balance/front end shimmy issues than other makes? Poor engineering? just more sensitive?

ex35

anyone?

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Some tires themselves are the issue and have reviews about not being able to balance.
I just replaced the wheels and tires on my wife's car and they had to take off the wheels and re-balance them 3 times before I the vibration went away. Each time, they scratched their heads. The balance machine had them at 0.00, then they install them, I go for a drive, they remove them and they are out of balance again. Finally removed all the weights and started again and finally got it 95% acceptable.
After you get them balanced again, take a drive, come back and have them re-checked to see if they remained at 0.00... if so, I would think shocks might be a culprit.

ex35

I want to provide a follow up. I have since sold the car but what finally fixed it was indexing my rotors to the wheel hub and using a dial indicator to get the least runout. Don’t believe anyone who says runout on rotors will only show up when braking. After indexing I would say I eliminated most of the high speed shimmy.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”