HID Upgrade to 6k Low Beam & Fog

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
adr4

I have seen a few post on this topic and wanted to provide my pics and instruction to add to what is out there. I hope this helps

First things First, I ordered from HIDExtra.com. I used the Slyvania Replacement guide online to find out the exact bulb types that I needed.

See the order details below:

1 x D2S 6000K Xenon HID Bulb Single Replacement (PAIR) (D2S 6000K HID Bulb) = $351 x H11 - 6000K Automobile Xenon HID Conversion Kit (H11 - 6000K Automobile Xe) = $75 (Comes with everything you need, its all plug and play)

Do 2 separate orders and use the following codes:

tenpercentoff-m on the low beam replacementsfspecial-m on the conversion kit

Total for both orders should come to $91.50. Not bad for a great light set up.

Here is how to DIY. If needed, refer to the Manuals LT (Lighting) & EI (Exterior & Interior)

First jack up the car and take off the wheel. I did this on the left side first.

Once the wheel is off, you need to remove the fender protector. There are about 5 clips inside and 4 screws underneath that need to be removed. See pics. Removing the clips was bit confusing for me at first. The key is to pull on the inner pin, not on the outside of the clip.

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice the first clip that needs to be removed. Notice how the inner circle is the release pin.

[IMG][/IMG]

The next two pictures depicts two more clips that need to be removed. Again there should be a total of five.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Underneath the front end of the car there are about 4 screws that need to be removed. 2 that are close to you and 2 that are deeper and down to the left. I have pointed out the first 2 in this pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Play with the fender protector. It does take a little manipulation to get it out but once it is, the hard part is over!!!!!! Until you have to put it back on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Replacing the Low beams is easy from this point. You will need to remove the plastic cap by turning counter clockwise about a quarter turn.

[IMG][/IMG]

Once cap is removed you will notice a sliver square piece called the bulb socket. Turn that counter clockwise and remove from enclosure.

[IMG][/IMG]

You will now see the back of the bulb being held in by the retaining spring. Push forward on both sides and then pull outward. The spring should fall towards you. At this point I suggest putting on some latex gloves because you want to avoid touching the bulbs with your bare hands. At this point it is as simple as removing the old bulb and putting in the new.

Ensure not to touch the bulbs and insert the bulb so that the groves on the base of the bulb match the notches on the enclosure for the bulb. Put the low beam enclosure back together.

Now for the Fogs. See pics below. Remove the cable from the halogen bulb socket and remove the bulb.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Now find a place for the mounting bracket for the Ballast. I decided on the frame so that I could utilize the screw holes.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

You can use screws and plastic ties. I used one of each.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now it is all plug and play from here!!!!!! Put the new bulb in place first. Then connect all the cables. It is pretty self explanatory. The conversion kit comes with instructions. See final install below.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now test everything before you have to put back on the fender protector. You may need to reverse polarity for the fogs, refer to the instructions provided in the conversion kit.

You can also access your side marking while you are in there. It may be worth just putting a new bulb in there. You have gone through all this effort, so why not. The bulb number is 2825. Just turn counter clockwise to release.

[IMG][/IMG]

So now put everything back together after you have tested everything. It is easier to put it back together than take apart in my opinion.

The final result and side by side comparison below:

[IMG][/IMG]

I completed the other side this weekend. The exact same process!!! It took me about 2 hours per side.

I hope this helps and good luck!!!!

MrInfinit_E
Car: Infiniti m35x

Great D.I.Y write up... The difference in the side by side shot is amazing. Can u post a pic with both sides done. I also ordered my kits from hidextra, just been to lazy to put them on but after looking at your set up I will jump on it.

SammyTheBull
Car: 2006 M35 Sport

Very nice job, I am jealous!! I would like to do something like that to mine, but im afraid that i will mess something up.......GREAT JOB

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

hey bud i just wanted to clarify that the color output is a blueish color correct? the pics look like the color output that i want but i just want to clarify.

MrInfinit_E
Car: Infiniti m35x

hey adr4, quick question before I get off my lazy a** and put mine in.. lol... Did you run into any issues with the low beam projector (aiming wise) if any.

adr4

The 6k is more of a light blue. The higher in number you go the more predominant the blue is. So 8k is more more blue then 6k etc.... Here is a great link to see the difference between the HIDs options.

http://www.hid-conversion-kits...6000k

They describe the 6k as "6000K Xenon HID bulbs give off a very attractive white light with a touch of blue/purple hue to it."

I went with 6k because I thought it was good balance between brightness and adding the blueish color but one thing is for sure anything is better then what comes stock on the car. I hated the fog lights and just love the way the new ones look.

adr4

No problems with the aiming or messing up the AFS. I just made sure the low beams were centered before putting everything back together. Also the car adjust/calibrates the AFS at start up. So no worries!!! Go for it, you will love it!!! I will post pics of the both sides by this weekend. Let me know if you need any more help or have any questions.

jankenpo30

Nice write..yeah I think I'm gonna go ahead and switch mine out too. Already have the fogs...just need to stop being lazy about the low beams

Y34GLORIA
Car: 2003 INFINITI M45 Y34 CEDRIC/GLORIA

thats exatly setup i have on my car. 6000k is the best way to go.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Nice write up!

gsmollin
Car: 2008 M35x, Platinum Graphite w/ Graphite interior

I hate to rain on your daylight fog light party, but do any of you people understand the purpose of a fog light? Do you know why, on a foggy day, you don't see the sun? It's because fog scatters daylight! A daylight fog light is as worthless as the sun in fog! The physics is simple: The same effect that makes the sky blue scatters blue light seven times worse than red light. If you want a fog light that actually works in fog, the color temperature should be as low as possible, and incandescent lights at 3500 K will penetrate the fog, so you can see the road ahead, while a 6000 K HID lamp will back-scatter in your face, so not only can you not see ahead, but oncoming drivers will also be blinded by a huge blueish halo around your car.

This project is stupid and irresponsible, and should be illegal if it already isn't.

Spectraeon
Car: 240sx

:-)
gsmollin wrote:This project is stupid and irresponsible, and should be illegal if it already isn't.
gsmollin, I would just like to inform you that I discovered this wonderful writeup while browsing the internet, and after I saw your post, I created an account for the sole purpose of telling you to f*** off and die. Thanks.

Adr4-

Sonic Motor
Car: 240sx

gsmollin wrote:I hate to rain on your daylight fog light party, but do any of you people understand the purpose of a fog light? Do you know why, on a foggy day, you don't see the sun? It's because fog scatters daylight! A daylight fog light is as worthless as the sun in fog! The physics is simple: The same effect that makes the sky blue scatters blue light seven times worse than red light. If you want a fog light that actually works in fog, the color temperature should be as low as possible, and incandescent lights at 3500 K will penetrate the fog, so you can see the road ahead, while a 6000 K HID lamp will back-scatter in your face, so not only can you not see ahead, but oncoming drivers will also be blinded by a huge blueish halo around your car.

This project is stupid and irresponsible, and should be illegal if it already isn't.
Its true, a 3000k HID would have probably be better if its for fogs. But for looks, it does not matter at all.

And its only illegal if you get caught. Chances are, if you drive an Infiniti, just tell the officer, its STOCK, they will leave you alone.

jankenpo30

gsmollin wrote:I hate to rain on your daylight fog light party, but do any of you people understand the purpose of a fog light? Do you know why, on a foggy day, you don't see the sun? It's because fog scatters daylight! A daylight fog light is as worthless as the sun in fog! The physics is simple: The same effect that makes the sky blue scatters blue light seven times worse than red light. If you want a fog light that actually works in fog, the color temperature should be as low as possible, and incandescent lights at 3500 K will penetrate the fog, so you can see the road ahead, while a 6000 K HID lamp will back-scatter in your face, so not only can you not see ahead, but oncoming drivers will also be blinded by a huge blueish halo around your car.

If the fog EVER becomes that bad in Georgia, I'll either move or I won't be driving that ONE day of the year.

adr4

I just want to clarify a few things. I wasn't going to respond and I appreciate those who came to my defense, but now I feel compeled.

I did a lot of research on this topic and though many of the things you discuss have some legitmacy, the statement that this project and the presumption that I was irresponsible and stupid are uncalled for.

There is much debate out there regarding HID, HID Conversion Kits, glare, color, etc.... and Legality. USAToday had a great article about this and here is the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/...n.htm

First, you should be responsible! People who adjust the light to aim upward and go with 14k HID lights for low beams and put them in enclosure intended for Halogen may be asking and may be causing trouble but I wouldn't judge them like you did me.

I did this modification right before I was due for a state inspection and because I needed to replace my side marker in order to pass. Since, I was going through the effort I did everything at once. So before going through this effort I did a ton of research. I didn't want to waste my time because getting pulled over often for something like this isn't my idea of fun, nor would I want to waste my money on fines and product. Once completed with my research, I spoke to 2 of my friends that are police officers. The conclusion was that as long as I didn't go too blue and didn't change the angle of the projection upward I would be fine to include the Fogs. The fogs are so low to the ground that they are not causing problems to uncoming traffic and rarely, if ever, do I drive in fog. This was more of a cosmetic mod then a peformance in fog mod.

I am happy to report that I passed the state inspection and I haven't been pulled over or ticketed at this point.

iH8RICERZ

awesome write up! Thank you for posting pics as well!!!

debiniarthug
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 - Luxury Tech Package
2004 Maxima-Driver Package
2000 Maxima

ADR4 - I ordered the exact set up using the info from your first post. 6000K bulbs and 6000k Fog HID kit. I had it for a while, I just decided to be productive yesterday and install them but I didn't have the bracket for the fog hid kit ballast. I went looking around at a couple of auto stores but didn't find what I was looking for. Did yours come with your kit? If not where can I it from?

fooitm35x
Car: 2007 M35x

HID kits on eBay now are dirt cheap - I just got an H11 4300K kit for my wife's truck for $10 + $30 shipping to Toronto by DHL.Got it in 3 days and already tested - everything works fine, and looks the same as on the pics in this thread. Probably all ballasts are made on the same factory in China.HID kits with slim ballasts are a bit more expensive on eBay - $20 instead of $10. I didn't care about the size as there are lots of space in trucks.

The only problem I have with it is that it came with just spade connectors instead of H11 male connector - that was easy to solve too, again $5 shipped from eBay.

By the way, if you are after performance rather than looks then stick with 4300K temperature.

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

gsmollin wrote:This project is stupid and irresponsible, and should be illegal if it already isn't.
well lucky for us, it isnt.

id love to roast you right about now...but having a new member subscibe to the NICO forums to tell you to F... off is sufficient for me.

Nemesis23

so the cost for the entire thing is 91 bucks or is it 91 each side? Also I was looking to do the yellow fogs and I know someone on here has the setup but I couldn't find which exact bulb to get with the yellow color for the fogs.

mexillis
Car: M45s

i bought my replacement bulbs and hid kit for fogs from ddmtuning all for 50 bucks shipped. i also bought 3OOOk for my fogs, they look good too.

debiniarthug
2000 Maxima

Okay, does anyone have any suggestions that doesn't have me paying for another HID kit when I only need the brackets. Thanks Mexillis, but I really don't want to buy a new kit just for the bracket. I searched for this at a few seperate HID sites but I don't think any place sells or at least advertises these seperately. I wanna see like you all be seeing!
Modified by debiniarthug at 7:17 PM 2/9/2010

fooitm35x

debiniarthug wrote:Okay, does anyone have in suggestions that doesn't have me paying for another HID kit when I only need the brackets. Thanks Mexillis, but I really don't want to buy a new kit just from the bracket. I searched for this at a few seperate HID sites but I don't think any place sells or at least advertises these seperately. I wanna see like you all be seeing!
Option# 1 - contact the place you bought your HIDs from and ask them to ship your the missing brackets.

Option# 2 - there should be a place that installs HIDs in your area, see if they can sell or give you the brackets.

Option# 3 - contact all websites that sell HIDs and ask to sell you just the brackets, someone will bite. I assume they order big shipments from China so they should have replaced a ballast or two on warranty, so they would have several brackets around, just ask.

Option# 4 - DIY, some soft aluminum or other metal shouldn't be too hard to bend and drill a hole or two for mounting.

Black_Mx
Car: PNY50

Option # 5 you can always do it the somewhat cheap way and buy some 3M tape like i did. If your hid ballast are flat enough use something good to clean the ballast and the spot you wanna stick it to. I stuck mine to the aluminum bar in the the front (see pic 10 that hallow aluminum bar). I got the DDM tuning $30 ones and they never came with any mounting brackets.

mexillis
Car: M45s

debiniarthug wrote:Okay, does anyone have any suggestions that doesn't have me paying for another HID kit when I only need the brackets. Thanks Mexillis, but I really don't want to buy a new kit just for the bracket. I searched for this at a few seperate HID sites but I don't think any place sells or at least advertises these seperately. I wanna see like you all be seeing!

Modified by debiniarthug at 7:17 PM 2/9/2010
i wasnt mentioning to buy new hids just replying to nemesis on cost of hids and where i bought mine. Mine too like Black_Mx didnt come with brackets and i too placed it on the aluminum bar with 3m double sided tape that are about the same size of the ballast, i havent had any problems so far and have hit a few major pot holes.

debiniarthug
2000 Maxima

Have they endured and winter and summer using the 3M Tape. I checked the box again and they came with two balast sized non -3m Tape. I would just feel more secure with a Bracket.

Fooit

Op 1 I've contacted them via email two days ago. no replyOp 2 I don't want to live off the humble when I paid for a productOp 3 I have but only via email. Something like this I'll have to make a call.Op 4 Didn't think about this one. This may be the best option. Thanks. I'll see how little aluminum I can buy and just fabricate something to work if all else fails. Good Suggestion!

iH8RICERZ

debiniarthug wrote:Have they endured and winter and summer using the 3M Tape. I checked the box again and they came with two balast sized non -3m Tape. I would just feel more secure with a Bracket.
When HID kits first came out, I bought the philips xenon kit for my integra back in 2001 or whenever it was. No one had brackets at the time so I mounted my ballast with 3M tape.. (take a heat gun, get it sticky and stick it to a clean surface away from all the harsh road "stuff" if possible. I had my ballast mounted like that for 3+ years of 100+ degree summers and 35+ degree winters w/ rain. When it came time to remove them when I did my retrofit, I could barely take them off cause they were stuck solid to where I mounted them. With that said, yes a bracket is more ideal, but 3M tape is the cheaper/faster option if need to be. Good Luck!

Black_Mx
Car: PNY50

debiniarthug wrote:Have they endured and winter and summer using the 3M Tape. I checked the box again and they came with two balast sized non -3m Tape. I would just feel more secure with a Bracket.

Fooit

Op 1 I've contacted them via email two days ago. no replyOp 2 I don't want to live off the humble when I paid for a productOp 3 I have but only via email. Something like this I'll have to make a call.Op 4 Didn't think about this one. This may be the best option. Thanks. I'll see how little aluminum I can buy and just fabricate something to work if all else fails. Good Suggestion!
I've only had my M for half a year now and only had the kit for half of that, so i couldn't really tell you how good it is in the summer. Right now it's stiill snowing and there still holding up. I'm just guessing about the summer time but everybody here says the tape works better with heat.

I think you should try it first see if you like it if not I'd just leave it on till you find a solution. When or if you try this don't just get any double sided tape, it's got to be a good 3M one made for outdoors used on car molding and stuff. I got the old school big ballast size and both sides are still up, so are the ones in my family's Navigator and Accord that I put in.

debiniarthug
2000 Maxima

Useful info. IH8RICERZ has a great testimonial. I only need to get 3 years usage out of the set up and it seems the 3m tape will do the job. I'm in a similar climate between 25-100 degrees. Black_Mx got a piont, it's inexpensive and I every auto shop has what I need. Plus, this gives me an excuse to buy a Heat gun now. More tools, whoohoo!

fooitm35x

Here you go!

You can get it for just a few $ - click me

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”