Here is how you install a catch can,

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Izento
Car: RPS13

All the pictures from the other thread are dead and most of the pictures are dead in this thread. I'm running 17 psi, so I think it's about time I make a catch can, but all our diagrams are gone, lol.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I don't have any drawings, but the way I did mine was to get an SR air/oil separator, run a line from the oil filter mount to the bottom of the air/oil separator, then out of the air/oil separator and connect the top of it with a Tee. One side went to the PCV valve and the other side went to the suction side of the turbo with another PCV valve. Because I have a MAP based system, I just put air filters on the valve cover hoses and then plugged off the barbed fitting on the back of the intake side valve cover.

That worked OK, but not great. It would still let crankcase gasses escape and the car would smell bad. I did it that way because I thought it would constantly draw fresh air into the top of the motor, and then down into the crankcase and then out. Obviously I didn't get enough airflow for it to actually work that way. I think this time around I'm either going to plug off the valve cover outlets, or connect them to the exhaust with those venturi check valve things.

sjbsuperman1425
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx
CA18DET

Does it matter where you mount the air/oil separator? I'm thinking of running something similar to a Moroso air/oil separator in between the end of the lower tube and the port on the head where the tube connects into, then running my dual Catch Cans that I've always ran.

sjbsuperman1425
CA18DET

You know, I thought of this before and I just re-thought it..how come we cannot copy the RB25's breather design?

sjbsuperman1425
CA18DET

This is a pic of the Euro/Aussie CA18DET from the factory I believe:

This is (along with my crap paint skills) how I would hook up the two catch cans with this system:

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I think the reason that the later model CA's had the cross-head connection on the PCV system was because they realized that the built-in connection at the front of the head doesn't flow well enough. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but that's what I suspect.

Regardless, What you have listed is exactly the way that I would suggest doing it.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”