Help with adjusting Window Auto Rolldown Sensor for 01 QX4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Hey everyone I've had this problem with my QX4 for some time now. On my front passenger side window the auto roll down sensor is set a little to sensitive. If I use the auto roll up it senses that there is an obstruction in it's path and after rolling up all the way it rolls back down partially. Does anyone know how to adjust this?

Thanks!

Billy

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Yes.

Do a search on this subject. I had this problem last year, and the fix is easy (about 1 minute if you have the panels off the door), but it's hard to explain in writing. I believe the last thread was about 6 months ago.I'm not good with searching or creating links, but the answer is out there.Good luck.

Empty V

Buzzman wrote:Yes.

Do a search on this subject. I had this problem last year, and the fix is easy (about 1 minute if you have the panels off the door), but it's hard to explain in writing. I believe the last thread was about 6 months ago.I'm not good with searching or creating links, but the answer is out there.Good luck.
thanks Buzzman, I simplified my search and immediately found a few threads on this topic. Sounds pretty simple to do. now I just hope I haven't covered the reset switch with dynamat.

Billy

Empty V

Well I just fixed it, I can't believe that dealers charge $100 to do that. I had to pull the door panel off because I did have a strip of dynamat right on top of it but even with that it only took me about 7min.

Thanks for the help!

Billy

sergio007

I FOUND THE ANSWER ON THIS SITE 2 WEEKS AGO.1) TAKE THE DOOR PANEL OFF 2)REMOVE PART OF THE ARMREST SPECIFICALLY THE LEFT SIDE THAT IS YOUR WINDOW SWITCH COMPARTMENT LIFT IT UP AND UNDER IT IS LOCATED THE LIMIT SWITCH 3)TURN KEY ON ROLL DOWN WINDOW MANUALLY MEANING HOLD SWITCH AND PRESS THAT BALCK LIMIT SWITCH AT THE SAME TIME ALL THE WAY DOWN AND FOR 4 TO 5 SECONDS AND RELEASE 4)HOLD LIMIT SWITCH AGAIN AND ROLL UP WINDOW MANUALLY ALL THE WAY UP AND HOLD FOR 4 TO 5 SECONDS AND YOU ARE DOWN ITWORKED FOR ON THE FIRST TRY......................GOOD LUCK I HAVE TO THANK THE GUY WHO POSTED THE ANSWER BEFORE THANKS A LOT

Ryman
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I'm outside looking at the inside of the window switch compartment and I can't find that switch that this post is referring to Does anyone know where I would have to look or what it looks like? I have a 01 QX4 Thanks Is it on the switch pack or is it on the door somewhere?
Modified by Ryman at 11:32 PM 3/23/2010

Buzzman

Hi.

It's not on the switch array or the armrest.It's on the door under the switch pack.It's also not really a switch. It's more like a little black button. Press and release type of thing, sort of like the dome light buttons in the door jams.You can easily mistake it for a screw head, it's that small.On my '02 Pathfinder, it's right under the switch pad. I didn't even have to remove any door panels.I just popped the switch array.Hope this helps.

Empty V

Buzzman wrote:Hi.

It's not on the switch array or the armrest.It's on the door under the switch pack.It's also not really a switch. It's more like a little black button. Press and release type of thing, sort of like the dome light buttons in the door jams.You can easily mistake it for a screw head, it's that small.On my '02 Pathfinder, it's right under the switch pad. I didn't even have to remove any door panels.I just popped the switch array.Hope this helps.
+1 Great description. It's a "momentary" switch.

Billy

Buzzman

Empty V wrote:It's a "momentary" switch.
Good definition. I'll have to remember that. Thx.

humsafar77
Car: QX4 02

Can some one Please explain in details, as I have the same problem. I will appreciate if some one can explain the process with Pictures

Thanks in Advance

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Yeah its real easy you don't have to remove the door either just the switches.

Buzzman

humsafar77 wrote:Can some one Please explain in details, as I have the same problem. I will appreciate if some one can explain the process with Pictures

Thanks in Advance
Check the "how to" sticky's at the top.
It's in there in great detail.
Once you've done it, you'll see how easy it really was.
5 minutes, tops.

humsafar77
Car: QX4 02

Buzzman, By Clicking on How to rest windows limiter in "How To" page, it bascially open this very same page,

Are you referring to any other page, if yes can you please paste the link here.

01silvapathy
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5

Plus one on the link, only my passenger window is doing this right now but the switch is under only the drivers side switch panel correct? Now I just need to find out the easiest safest way to take off that switch panel without damaging it lol

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

01silvapathy wrote:Plus one on the link, only my passenger window is doing this right now but the switch is under only the drivers side switch panel correct? Now I just need to find out the easiest safest way to take off that switch panel without damaging it lol
Use a cloth-covered flathead screwdriver, it just pops out.

CanuckQx4
Car: 2001.5 Qx4 2wd

01silvapathy wrote:Plus one on the link, only my passenger window is doing this right now but the switch is under only the drivers side switch panel correct? Now I just need to find out the easiest safest way to take off that switch panel without damaging it lol
No, each front window has its own hidden switch. My 01 passenger side was doing this and I reset the switch under the passenger switch panel. Easiest way is to use plastic/teflon pry tools to take it off, or a very this but wide screw driver covered in terry cloth or something to make sure you dont marr the plastic.

The button on the passenger side was not just right there when you pop the switch panel off either, its kinda hard to find and I remember it being low on the inside door panel and hard to reach to press

JPK Omaha
Car: 2003 Qx4

Here are some tips for window limit reset on 2003 Qx4 as the instructions above did not work.

First do not remove the woodgrain piece around the switch because you will break all the little plastic clips that hold it on. It is the piece under the woodgrain piece which will easily pop off if you gently pry it up from the rear edge. Then you can locate the reset button which is down behind some clear plastic sheet, and looks like a little black button.

Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.
a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch.
c) Then close the window completely (manually only – NOT AUTO UP). Do not press reset switch going up.
d) The limit switch is now reset.

adamt314
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 3.5L

I've had this problem for years now. This fix took 3 minutes to apply. Wish I found this site earlier. Great stuff all.

Buzzman

Yea, it's a cool fix, which the dealership will charge you $80 for, if you're lucky.
If you're not, they'll try and sell you a new motor and anything else they can think of. I've seen it happen.
I find this problem comes back about once a year, and I do the reset each time. Quick and easy.

ddcexpress
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

02 qx4 driver side power window auto function not working. please help

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you've tried re-timing the motor per the earlier posts and it still doesn't work, it's probably a bad encoder in the motor or a bad window switch. If Auto works using the passenger side switch but not the master, the master is bad. If it doesn't work with either one, a bad encoder in the motor is the most likely suspect.

ddcexpress

passenger side working well. previously replaced switch. what the procedure s to re-timing the motor or bad encoder

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it works with Auto on the passenger side then the problem isn't calibration, it's loss of communication with the Master or a bad Master.

ddcexpress

with a bad master, what will i do to fix?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There are actually two "throws" on Auto switches, one "manual" that engages with slight pressure and a second "auto" position that engages with the switch all the way down (or up, if it has Auto both ways). It's possible your switch uses "wiper pads" on the circuit board, and if so you might be able to open and clean it. Most of the older switches aren't set up that way, but if you're handy it's worth a look. The switches are easy enough to disassemble, the cap pops off the child-lock button (and on some the lock button also) and then plastic pawls hold the housing together. If it isn't fixable, replace it. The factory switch shows still available but pricey, or there are tons of JY units on eBay. The bezels aren't actually part of the switch and are easily swapped if you have buy one that's the wrong color.

ddcexpress

is this what you are taliking about.
my car has only one reset button (passenger side)
Attachments
20220716_165238.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yes, but it looks like regular switches and not PCB wipers. Those switches are impossible to source, so if the switch is the issue, it probably isn't fixable.

Did the Auto ever work? They should both have buttons, so it sounds like somebody swapped-in the wrong motor. You could see if maybe it's from a later model. If so, running the window to the top and then holding for about 5 seconds will re-time the window. If that doesn't work, then I think you have a case of wrong parts.

ddcexpress

i already replaced the switch with the same result.
my driver side has no reset button.
if i can install motor with reset button, do you think it will work

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Like I said, it's supposed to have one. The Auto and Manual motor versions almost always use the same connector, the Manual version just has open pin slots where the Auto version has pins for the encoder. So if your Auto never worked, it's entirely plausible that someone replaced the motor with a Manual part and never bothered changing it out for the correct part.

ddcexpress

i got it
thanks

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”