NO budget ka-t build

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
240man91
Car: 1991 nissan 240sx se hicas

bs. a ls swap will coast you 4k easy if done right an you can turbo the ka for 2500 an get 270-300 easy with a gt28 i have 270 at ten pounds of boost an i get 28mpg the ls would get you 20mpg mayb an 270-320hp is s*** as hell out of a v8 and i have a friend with a 2001 trans with the ls1 with ls2 head an a chip an only gets a 13.10 in the 1/4. so v8+fail big wast of time theres a compleat ls swap on cl for the 240sx s13 for 4500 look in springfield mo. if i did any thing it would be a z32 tt best bang for thew buck i have seen a z32 swaped 240 at the track out run a zo6 corvett easy it was a sad day for vet. nissan power baby. +mpg

240man91

o an v8 would have more movingg parts that a v or stright 6 or 4 bangger. an they still make the rb thats whats in the new skyline an i didnt mean he wouldnt be able to get help with the swap but with the motor its shelf if it dose not run right or if he has a problem with it running. an parts for a ls motor cost a ton more than a ka, sr, rb,z32,. but its what he wants idc if he goes with the ls junk but he should think about it. cause for 4k he could bulid that ka he has in to one bad a** 500hp beast. o not the mition how much the car is going to weigh in the front maken it corrner like crap.

D.Nel240
Car: 2010 Honda Fit

Just read all of this thread, and I say go with the SBC swap!

As for 240man91... wow

The RB26 is no longer in production, the new GT-R runs the VR38DETT. I'm pretty new to the KA-T, but I'd say 500 HP for 4k would be pretty hard to come buy reliably. Finally an LS1 weighs in at a little over 400 pounds, probably lighter than a KA-T. Not to mention its capabilities with minor motor work.

240man91

kat weighs less than 400 pound cause me an a friend picked one up an carryed it about 30ft to a pickup an no there are people getting 500whp on here with stock gutts in a ka-t. an i did my turbo for under 2k an it all depends on how its done an if you install it your shelf then it can be done easy i have looked at what the parts cost. with a blanced lower end in a ka an 20psi of boost you can get 400whp all day long an all you need is a gt28 turbo for that witch cost about 400-800 depending what brand an kind or gt28 you go with. then some tuning an blam good mpg an tons of power to play with. look around do some reading on the ka-t an look at you tube tons of clips of the ka-t on the dayno that show what they got. an this guy here made turboing a 240 way harder than it should of been they sell kits an all the parts you need at cheap prices to bolt it right on. look at the title to the thred,(no budget ka-t bulid) he tryed to do it with out money or as cheap as he could. i think he spent like 800 on the whole thing. thats why he had a hard time an he didnt rom tune so his wasntn bolt on an play like mine an most other peoples are.

neverlift

HO MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!
engrish restrics conversation on the internet.. please use this instead

ENGLISH

superDorifto
Car: 1997 Eclipse Spyder - AWD/5spd swap in progress
1995 Q45 - 5spd swap in progress
1984 200sx hatch(KA-t swap) - 355WHP
1991/1993/1995/1997 240s - Dead
1982 200sx hatch - fixed/scrapped

240man91 wrote:kat weighs less than 400 pound cause me an a friend picked one up an carryed it about 30ft to a pickup an no there are people getting 500whp on here with stock gutts in a ka-t. an i did my turbo for under 2k an it all depends on how its done an if you install it your shelf then it can be done easy i have looked at what the parts cost. with a blanced lower end in a ka an 20psi of boost you can get 400whp all day long an all you need is a gt28 turbo for that witch cost about 400-800 depending what brand an kind or gt28 you go with. then some tuning an blam good mpg an tons of power to play with. look around do some reading on the ka-t an look at you tube tons of clips of the ka-t on the dayno that show what they got. an this guy here made turboing a 240 way harder than it should of been they sell kits an all the parts you need at cheap prices to bolt it right on. look at the title to the thred,(no budget ka-t bulid) he tryed to do it with out money or as cheap as he could. i think he spent like 800 on the whole thing. thats why he had a hard time an he didnt rom tune so his wasntn bolt on an play like mine an most other peoples are.
There are so many contradictions in what you are claiming that I really don't know where to begin. :rotfl

Per the note above RB..not in production anymore. :inoutgay:

I never said that there were no other options engine wise, simply that a non nissan V8 is not "US Junk" as you claim. Also I took offense to your insinuation that everyone on NICO is an out an out Nissan die hard fanatic fanboy....many of us are not, and like to see well done swaps regardless of the make/model.

I like 240s...I have owned 6, I have also owned Toyotas (SC300), and Mitsu/DSMs (Eclipse, Galant, Neons (420a FTL)), and GMs (Skylark, S10, Blazer, 1500)

My last car was an 04 GTO that was damn near perfect for a daily driver, got 23+MPG (not even close to your "friend's Trans Am") and put a very respectable 283 down at the rear wheels...I actually dynoed it.

I didn't need to get a "good tune" to keep from breaking ring lands, or pull timing to keep from throwing a rod out the side of my block. It makes that much power in stock form with no power adders....which is why people like to swap them into light small rear wheel drive cars. They break less s***, and put down more USEABLE power and are simpler machines. :bigthumb:

All of your rediculous claims rely on buying cheapo chinese ebay crap for a KA, or any other smaller motor and crossing your fingers that the thing wont blow up.

I do cost analysis for a living. I have done the comparison for an RB, a turbo KA, and an LSX swap. They all cost about the same to do them "correctly." This means no FMU garbage, no Chinese Ebay manifolds or turbos. A proper build with actual name brand parts that won't break down constantly

For a KA that means:
Forged Internals
New HG
Machine Work for the block/head
A quality Manifold/Turbo/DP
Stand alone EMS - or at least something that controlls timing too
tons of other little parts that start to add up - to about 10K...

RB is the same story but you can get by without rebuilding the bottom end, hopefully. All of the supporting HW still puts the price around 10K

The LSX swap requires fewer parts, but the engine set costs a bit more. I can pick up a GTO/Firebird/Camero Engine tranny combo for $2500-$4000, mounts, headers, cam, custom driveshift....totals out to yup...10K

Either way you are spending ~10K for a reliable 350-400hp. This is for just about any Motor... Only one option does not require a power adder. Only one option is perfectly happy making that much power without me having to take the heads off, or in anyway beefing up the internals.

Also the LS1 is ~ 60lbs LIGHTER than a KA...it has been documented in many posts(with the T56 an indestructable 6spd is weighs about the same but moves the weight closer to the center of the car - The RB is ~90lbs heavier (not including turbo accys). :dblthumb:

Be a fanboy, but learn some actual facts so that you dont infect other new members to the site.
:slap:

240man91

ok. lets just leave it at that. i can out run ls motors all day long my car runs great an it just has a t25 sr turbo on it cost me about 1800 to do it all i didnt have to do any thing to my timeing my ecu is rom tuned so all my stuff was plug an play an when i open the hood at the end of the day i get to say i bulit this. an my parts are name brand i have a jdm intercooler set up an a isis turbo main an a trust down pipe. with a avcr boost controller an 370cc sr injectors with, a z32 maf (n62). idk where you get 10k i have put over 10k in miles on it an they are nowhere near easy miles. an the inside of my motor is all stock an has a 100k on them.

superDorifto
Car: 1997 Eclipse Spyder - AWD/5spd swap in progress
1995 Q45 - 5spd swap in progress
1984 200sx hatch(KA-t swap) - 355WHP
1991/1993/1995/1997 240s - Dead
1982 200sx hatch - fixed/scrapped

I like to overbuild. I have seen way too many stock KAs go to the junkyard.

I am not trying to take anything away from your build. Building it yourself is the point. But you're right, flame wars just bog perfectly good threads down.

240man91

thank you for seeing my point an i see yours to. now if someone is the type who dont want to hardly ever work on there cars or ever open the hood but have nice power a na v8 is what they need.

neverlift

ho my gawd you guys did it

240man91

yea, just a friendly compareison. ;)

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

That was a great read^^^^

Im gonna say everyone had decent points ill keep most my comments to myself but ill have to input one thing.

There is a big difference between one pull one time on a dyno as eveyone crosses fingers. Compared to a DD or even just a weekend track car.
Im gonna say the general "rule" is 60% more than engine was designed with is the ideal SAFE limit. That puts a ka24de at around 200hp. There is exceptions of COURSE but take it with a grain of salt.

On a brighter note- Finished my buddies 99camaroz28 build up including (MS4 cam,hardened pushrods,dualVS,titanium retainers, hardened seats,spec stage 2+clutch,k&n drop in,slp lid,hooker headers,ls6 manifold, ported throttle body,msd twist boot wires, ls2 oil pump,new chain and gears: ended up having to order a tick master.....

Brought her down to the dyno left it for 2 days and drove back up for the final passes. 391hp 360tq ****

Awesome car now tons of fun to drive def. worth the time. NEVER Not pull the heads BUY a tick"mastercyl .....

>>>>stripped turbo kit sold car for 2500$ turbo kit for 500$ and engine etc. 500$ broke EVEN 3500$ spent
LEARNED more than i thought i would new respect for everything built not bought!

ON TO THE NEXT ONE !

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

Just sharing crap i stumble on i read alot.... tid bits if you will not really nissan

:balancing bottom end your self//some say shot peen rods after grinding on them-all say dont grind to hot youll warp rods-gets pretty sketchy not alot info out there but be warned!!! alot to it

:cc'ing combustion chambers//you can use plexiglass and drill small hold use vasaline grease pour in light" oil your choice-some say is not worth the time claim metering air and fuel evenly is 2 fold more important

:ring lands on ka24de are the first to go rods might really be good for 400 (almost a fact based on reading)

:boring//i always thought bore it out the better- walls weaken more you bore>>> xray machine can tell depth left-some engines can be bored more that others based on intial manufacture casting-----as in if you have 2 ka24de's one might be able to be bored out to 60 over other stock bore-------explains alot about why some success some ..BOOM CRAPSHOOT

: sikky makes complete bolt in kit minor minor nissan destruction LOL 3500$ with wiring done turn KEY!!!!!!! getting affordable thats good news

: some say sikky mounts break --guy at import alliance member on here is out there with some of his own LOOK promising

:a dyno jet only costs bout 55k.......... you kind of need a weather station still need to read bout that LOL....

: chrystler HAS A SLUDGING problem 318 360 mostly but ....like all of em!!!!!!!! change your oil---type in 98 durango sludge in google HAHAHAHA for real its really really bad the HORROR!*

:you can restrict heater core hoses to increase cooling sys. efficiency corvette had tsb they did good TIP for those running hot!!!!!

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”