Help!! steering lock broke in my 2009!!!

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
Andersonf90
Car: Cube

Ok so I have read a lot of things about the steering lock going out because mine just went out on Wednesday. Had to have it towed to the Nissan dealer where they had me pay $105 to diagnose what I already knew...and sure enough it is the steering column locking mechanism. They ran my vin because they said there were recalls on certain 2009 cubes...well of course mine wasn't one. And he also informed me it was actually replaced at 5000 miles!! I bought it with 8000 miles and it is six years old and it only now has 30700 miles.. I called Nissan corporate to see if they would fix it for free due to me reading people starting claims and they would cover it and the fact it was already replaced and faulty again. They called me back today and said it was DENIED! I was ticked! So now I have to pay the $560 for the part plus $200-$300 labor to install...I don't have that kind of money. So I guess my question is..does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could do? I read you could take out a fuse but I can't find one anywhere that says the steering column lock and I also read about a bypass kit to buy for about $60. And I also read about just cutting some brown wire...do any of these work??

Somebody please help!!!

ezb57e

Welcome and Sorry.
You mean the lock control, right?
I'm afraid you have no real options here.
Do the repair and keep fighting up the ladder for a refund.
Things do seem to be tightening up for warranty extension/good will claims.

Andersonf90
Car: Cube

Yes. The steering wheel won't lock and it's the only reason for it not starting....I really don't want to take out a loan... :bs:

Return to “Cube Forum”