Help Fred pick his new car

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I been eyeing some G37s too.
What specifically do you think is underwhelming on your Q50?
I remembr driving one once as a loaner and being impressed.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

Everything honestly. The infotainment is garbage in them up until the current model year, which they finally replaced it with an Apple CarPlay/Android Auto unit that functions decently. You will have problems out of the infotainment in it. There was a class action lawsuit for it.

The suspension is completely different from the G and not in a good way. It handles fine, but it is a major letdown for what the car is. It has an annoying amount of body roll in stock form and it’s not nearly as tossable as you’d hope. In stock form it’s very mediocre. Drive by wire ones are even worse.

The rear brakes on them are garbage, with or without Akebonos. You’ll burn through the rears twice as fast as the front. Another common issue with them.

Those are the most annoying issues, if you go with a VQ37 one. It’s a perfectly fine car for what you can purchase them for now though. But again, if I could find a decent G, I would buy it hands down without hesitation instead.

Don’t buy a VR30DETT(the new twin turbo one) model unless you’re buying it new with a warranty. They are a hot mess to own and I know Infiniti technicians that will tell you to stay far away from them. They despise them and claim you have to drop the motor out of the car to do 80% of repairs/maintenance because of how crammed the engine is with the turbos. Plus there are tons of posts on Facebook and other places about popped motors and major failures with hardly any mileage on them. Some are self inflicted issues, but a lot are just random failure.

Now, I have driven brand new VR30 ones as loaners and have been quite impressed as well, but I would have a hard time trusting a used one with the issues I’ve heard about.

PalmerWMD

I know the most rational choice would be to put a nice sedan next to my SUV.
If I find a good one I will.

But finding one of the rare V8 Pathfinders would also give me tremendous pleasure.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ That would be awesome. Talk about a rarity...

I've found two in the past several years, both owners told me the same thing when approached: "Don't even ask, it's not for sale."

:)

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

And to think I used to just watch those things roll down the assembly line when I visited Smyrna.

PalmerWMD

AZhitman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm
^ That would be awesome. Talk about a rarity...

I've found two in the past several years, both owners told me the same thing when approached: "Don't even ask, it's not for sale."

:)
There are usually between 6-12 FS in the country at any given time (i been watching for months)
2/3rds will generally be 4WD (the only drive train for this vehicle IMHO)

The fact that I cannot decide between a
a) economical choise like a CVT Altima CPO. Seen some very low prices on those even CPOs reasonable. And having the option to go on a long trip on whim because know I will spend almost nothing on gas is great.
With the Xterra it becomes a consideration when I know I am spending 120 bucks in gas on a round trip.. the bar is a lot higher then to decide to "just go"

b) The V8 Pathy. 18mpg hiway and need premium.. A typical long round trip for 700 miles each way will cost 3 times what it would do with a 4 cyl Altima
But the V8 Pathy is despite being rare only about the same price as a same year/miles 4 Runner is performs at a completely different level.

c) A nice Infiniti Sedan. I been craving a nice Infiniti sedan.. used but only lightly used for a long time..

However the fact that I cannot easily decide between 3 completely disparate vehicles, shows me i am not operating on a proper Acquisitions plan and do not have rationally derived Key performance parameters.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

"Rational" would be a long term rent-a-wreck until your regular ride gets back. Seemed obvious from the get-go that this was inspired by devils and angels sitting on alternating shoulders; purely a matter of the heart. Quit arguing rationality with yourself and things will be easier, because in truth what you're doing is "rationalization" -- giving the inherently irrational a semblance of logic. If your heart can't tell you the right thing, throw darts. ;)

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I'd go with an Infiniti sedan personally. Want to make this thread a poll?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 pm
I'd go with an Infiniti sedan personally. Want to make this thread a poll?
Wait a sec... so you want to make us the darts? :poke: :gapteeth:

PalmerWMD

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:43 pm
"Rational" would be a long term rent-a-wreck until your regular ride gets back. Seemed obvious from the get-go that this was inspired by devils and angels sitting on alternating shoulders; purely a matter of the heart. Quit arguing rationality with yourself and things will be easier, because in truth what you're doing is "rationalization" -- giving the inherently irrational a semblance of logic. If your heart can't tell you the right thing, throw darts. ;)
Hi I been trying to PM you but my PM got stuck in "outbox".. are your PMs turned off? :wavey:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PalmerWMD wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:38 pm
Hi I been trying to PM you but my PM got stuck in "outbox".. are your PMs turned off? :wavey:
Sorry, Palmer, my PM's were on but no email notification. Just fixed it. Got your message, I'll pay a visit, thanks!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:43 pm
"Rational" would be a long term rent-a-wreck until your regular ride gets back.
Truth.

My DD for the past 2 years has been a beat-to-hell 04 Corolla with 300k miles, a Ukrainian lift kit, oversize tires, no hubcaps, a missing bumper, and the exhaust cut off with a Sawzall. Hasn't been washed since 2009.

Why? Because I'm usually grungy from working in my shop, it's comfortable, has cold AC, and IDGAF if someone hits it. :bigthumb:

Meet THUNDEROLLA.
20201013_193740.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

AZhitman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:16 pm
My DD for the past 2 years has been a beat-to-hell 04 Corolla with 300k miles, a Ukrainian lift kit, oversize tires, no hubcaps, a missing bumper, and the exhaust cut off with a Sawzall. Hasn't been washed since 2009.
Seconded! My DD was an '04 Hyundai Elantra, 2-seater because of all my work crap in the back seat. Just died of trans failure at around 200K and I don't feel like fixing it, I'm getting a little old for tranny-slinging. Replacement will be an '08 Sentra very shortly.

PalmerWMD

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:34 pm
AZhitman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:16 pm
Replacement will be an '08 Sentra very shortly.
Yay!
I think the members will look forward to hearing Sentra expertise from you then! :dblthumb:

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I'm also a member of the old Corolla club. Mine's a tad newer and a bit above beater status. I bought it for my son when he was a kid. He ended up settling in NYC, so he didn't need it post college, so I kept it. Great reliability, 30+ mpg, regular gas, strong a/c and heater, cheap to maintain/insure and nimble. It is admittedly soul crushing in terms of performance, but it's a great commuter. However if you're seeking a long distance road trip vehicle, probably not an ideal choice.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I want to play this game!!!

I gotta agree with Kompresshun on the G37 thing. At least for the 14-15 Q50s, the steering is far better in the Gs. They made some serious improvements to the Q50 when they changed to the VR engine, and 2018 they have really started to come into their own. The car still has its shortcomings vs the competition, but I really like them, and I miss my 2015 Q50S. I would say to avoid the 2014 Q50s if you're looking at them at all - many infotainment issues because the hardware wasn't sufficient for the software it was running. They take a hot minute to start up and there's nothing you can do to fix it. However, the Q50 is an evolution to the G overall. It's lower, wider, a bit larger interior volume, and faster in a straight line. For me, the sweet spot for that car is a 2015 Sport. I had one with the performance wheel package and I sure do miss that car from time to time. The 2015 had some other fixes for common issues in the 2014s such as an issue with the rear brake calipers and a front suspension issue (but I can't remember what it was at the moment).

On the Q50s with the VR30 engines - there are some small but important differences vs the 300hp cars. Lots of guys who tune the 300hp Q50s the RIGHT WAY are adding the OEM Red Sport oil cooler and upgrading cooling components. However, there's an extra water pump and the electronic turbo impeller sensors exclusive to the Red Sport. If you're going to leave it stock and don't care about 100hp, save your money, but there is more going on in the Red Sports than just a tune. An important thing to make note of on the VR engine itself (in either 300hp or 400hp trim) is there's no recirculation/BOV setup from the factory at all. People are wrecking turbos on those cars - all of the boost stays in the intake tract and creates reverse thrust on the turbos themselves when hammering on throttle to max boost and getting all the way out of it. So if you get into a VR, pay attention to that. It's simple to throw an HKS BOV on the car and save some headache there. Z1Motorsports makes a kit with fittings and hoses for it too. But you'll want to pay attention to potentially abused lease returns with those cars. Yes, you can flash the ECU and swap intakes on a 300hp Q50s and get 400whp out of it, but it will blow up.

Greg mentioned a Mazda 6 - I couldn't agree more. Too many people are sleeping on Mazda, and the late model 6s are damn near as nice interior-wise as any current Infiniti. Mazdas have all been a great driving vehicle. When my wife was shopping for her first 3-row crossover, she came down to a 2018 Infiniti QX60 and a 2018 Mazda CX-9, and the Mazda was my pick. It drove like an oversized Mazdaspeed3. The CX-9 is the non-soul-sucking alternative to a typical 3 row crossover for less than $50k. (We can talk about an Audi SQ7 another time on the whole 3 row vehicle thing... holy balls) But I digress.

I also agree that the R51 Pathfinder is very redundant if you already have the holy grail that is the Xterra.

PalmerWMD

Keep the input coming guys! Good stuff! :yesnod

In the meantime here is a 2017 Q50 Signature edition (LOVE the old school 17 inch size wheels!).
Black over Charcoal leather.

For some reason this car reminds me of the 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE , Black over charcoal leather that I was totally lusting over but couldn't afford back in 1995.
Same size , same colors, same company...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =283200278

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Worth a test drive!

AZhitman
Administrator

Yep, I like that!

PalmerWMD

I still have until mid week until I am in the US then I will start test drives :)

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I can hook you up with a Q50 or an R51 Pathfinder. Or both. :rotfl

Neither are what you’re looking for though it sounds like. My Pathy is probably going on the market in the next couple of weeks and once it’s sold the Q50 is likely going too.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:25 am
I dunno if I'd call any CVT "ironclad".
I've also seen a few pathys go through multiple transmissions after that '14 clean point.

The list of "things that are ironclad" repeats 3 billion times before CVT appears on it.
JATCO has never even built an automatic that wasn't a grenade with the pin pre-pulled. The CVTs cranked the grenade factor way past 11.
I don't care if it's lifetime fluid or changed every week; that's not the problem with Nissan transmissions. They do stupid s*** like putting steel ball valves in unsleved aluminum valvebodies and expecting things to be fine. That has nothing to do with fluid life; it's just s*** engineering. Just like every JATCO transmission ever built in history. EVER. Guess how many Nissans I've had? 4. Guess how many transmissions I've had grenade? 3. Guess what makes me nervous as s*** as my Pathfinder passes 150k? Yeah.

DON'T DO IT.

Plus, the Pathy just isn't a good crossover. Not only is the transverse VQ35 HILARIOUSLY ancient now, but the CVT is designed (like every JATCO transmission) to keep the thing at the most pontlessly high RPM available. You get to WVVWVWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR along at 3k, just before peak torque hits, for eternity. It sounds awful, feels awful, is awful. Fuel economy sucks. Power availability sucks. Reliability sucks. It's literally the most unpleasant powertrain in production after the QR25 with the same JATCO turdpile attached.
And the pathy is ugly, poorly packaged, cheap inside, and cheaper outside. Literally EVERY OTHER 3-row CUV is better. Even the Mitsu. Even though Mitsu uses the same JATCO CVTs, their tuning is (for some reason) WAY better. But then that was always Nissan's weakpoint, wasn't it? Transmissions that shift a week after you need it if they do it at all?

EDIT: Turns out only the little Outlander uses the CVT (and it's still way better than the Rogue to drive), while the big 'un uses regular automatics in everything but the hybrid model. So the Mitsu is actually better. HIGH PRIASE.

PalmerWMD

Kompresshun wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:27 pm
I can hook you up with a Q50 or an R51 Pathfinder. Or both. :rotfl

Neither are what you’re looking for though it sounds like. My Pathy is probably going on the market in the next couple of weeks and once it’s sold the Q50 is likely going too.
I sent you a PM but its still tuck in the "outbox"...

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:25 am
I dunno if I'd call any CVT "ironclad".
I've also seen a few pathys go through multiple transmissions after that '14 clean point.

The list of "things that are ironclad" repeats 3 billion times before CVT appears on it.
JATCO has never even built an automatic that wasn't a grenade with the pin pre-pulled. The CVTs cranked the grenade factor way past 11.
I don't care if it's lifetime fluid or changed every week; that's not the problem with Nissan transmissions. They do stupid s*** like putting steel ball valves in unsleved aluminum valvebodies and expecting things to be fine. That has nothing to do with fluid life; it's just s*** engineering. Just like every JATCO transmission ever built in history. EVER. Guess how many Nissans I've had? 4. Guess how many transmissions I've had grenade? 3. Guess what makes me nervous as s*** as my Pathfinder passes 150k? Yeah.

DON'T DO IT.

Plus, the Pathy just isn't a good crossover. Not only is the transverse VQ35 HILARIOUSLY ancient now, but the CVT is designed (like every JATCO transmission) to keep the thing at the most pontlessly high RPM available. You get to WVVWVWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR along at 3k, just before peak torque hits, for eternity. It sounds awful, feels awful, is awful. Fuel economy sucks. Power availability sucks. Reliability sucks. It's literally the most unpleasant powertrain in production after the QR25 with the same JATCO turdpile attached.
And the pathy is ugly, poorly packaged, cheap inside, and cheaper outside. Literally EVERY OTHER 3-row CUV is better. Even the Mitsu. Even though Mitsu uses the same JATCO CVTs, their tuning is (for some reason) WAY better. But then that was always Nissan's weakpoint, wasn't it? Transmissions that shift a week after you need it if they do it at all?

EDIT: Turns out only the little Outlander uses the CVT (and it's still way better than the Rogue to drive), while the big 'un uses regular automatics in everything but the hybrid model. So the Mitsu is actually better. HIGH PRIASE.
Thou doth protest (way!) too much. No other comment.

PalmerWMD

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:18 pm
MinisterofDOOM wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm

HaHa so true.

BTW Greg is fixing my Admin panel on the other site, so I can fix your issue on there

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:18 pm
The only thing worse than a crappy product is pretending it isn't crappy.
If there are good cars, and crap cars, there's no defense for crap cars.

AZhitman
Administrator

Gonna have to concur here. CVTs are for forklifts, lawn maintenance equipment, and golf carts.

There are TONS of good, robust automatics on the market, and a manual is simply so much more versatile and trouble-free....

I've never driven a CVT vehicle that I couldn't wait to bail out of.

PalmerWMD

I was quite happy with my 2009 CVT equipped Maxima and my 2014 CVT Equipped Altima...
Now I didnt supercharge those vehicles or drive like a maniac (but even so.. never so much as a hiccup and incredible mpgs.)

As for JATCO not making robust transmissions...

The 5A in the G35s, M45s, Q45s, Frontiers, Titans, 350Z has been known to stand up to a lot of abuse and even aftermarket power adders.
The 7A in the G37, The 370Z, the Q50 is also remarkably trouble free.
The 4As in the Maxima etc were decent too.. I could go on and on.. All JATCO and all good.

I have driven my brick shaped super air Resistance Xterra with its JATCO 5A in the summertime up and down hills (in Germany) at 90-100 mph for HOURS on end (basically an entire tank going from Stuttgart to Berlin ) slowing down only in curves or construction zones..and then accelerating back up to speed often uphill.

Nothing weak about these transmissions.

But I think the thread is kinda getting off the rails.

On this note I am more and more leaning towards not a spendy car as there is a yearly car tax in Virginia the state I will likely have to register my car.
I dont want to have to spend $900 a year to the county so they can teach more "social justice" classes for their "brown bag" lunches.

So maybe this?
V8 Pathfinder perfect color combo loaded LE with the upgraded transfer case, leather, sunroof
But high miles..
But at that price anything short of the engine grenading in 1st year, will still leave me with a deal I could be happy with.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

AZhitman
Administrator

CT?

Wouldn't it be loaded with rust? Maybe I'm spoiled living in AZ, but I'd rather find a dry weather car and pay $500-$1000 to ship it to my door.

PalmerWMD

AZhitman wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm
CT?

Wouldn't it be loaded with rust? Maybe I'm spoiled living in AZ, but I'd rather find a dry weather car and pay $500-$1000 to ship it to my door.
Well.. it's currently one of only 3-4 V8 4WD LEs for sale in the country... at least among cars.com, autotrader.com and cargurus.
There is one closer to me in Philly much lower miles too.. but no pics yet i emailed them.

Return to “General Chat”