Headliner and cable Now Hanging near back seat

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
haleakalag

HI. Just noticed that the headliner on my G37 convertible was folded up and dipping into the passenger compartment a little near the rear seat/side window on each side, with part of a cable now visible. I looked closer and saw that a small rubber/plastic guide has broken off a black piece that is attached to the headliner on each side, so the cable has no tension. Seems absurd for a car with 12000 miles. Anyone else have any issues like this. Thanks.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

Did you have any work done for rattle or noise? if yes who ever did the work did not install it correctly.
take it to dealer- you are under warranty

haleakalag

HI. No work done on top yet. Just spoke to service and it will need a new headliner which apparently is not an easy install with all the cables etc. Infiniti tech advised taking pictures of the uninstall along the way. We don't have an Infiniti dealership here so have to use Nissan for the install so not overly confident.

cmesurf

get a copy of ITB12-003A, 2009-2011 G37 CONVERTIBLE; SQUEAK / RATTLE / BUZZ NOISE FROM ROOF AREA. This shows how to install and remove the headliner or you can ask Nissan Dealer to get it or they may have access to ESM, Roof Section RF .

haleakalag

Thanks much

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

http://www.infinitig37.com/Infiniti-G37 ... itins.html

You can get a copy of the TSB above.

haleakalag

Follow up. Got the new headliner in. It worked well for 3 months, now have loud rattles along both rear headliner panels. At least it's not hanging loose anymore. I love this car with exception of the roof noise. 13000 miles and sounds like 60000. The dealer is on another island (we are in Hawaii, so now out of luck on this).

cmesurf

contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs to assist you.

haleakalag

Well, I originally did this thru customer service, who arranged to ferry the car over to Honolulu from Maui. They did a great job arranging things, as did the service department at Infiniti Honolulu. But after 2-3 uses of the top down the rattles came, and now it's noisier than before. Very frustrating since it has 13000 miles and we have babied the car. The car is now out of the warrantee, although the new headliner was put in 4 months ago. I can't imagine shipping it back for another 3 weeks after all this. Probably will sell it.

cmesurf

haleakalag wrote:Well, I originally did this thru customer service, who arranged to ferry the car over to Honolulu from Maui. They did a great job arranging things, as did the service department at Infiniti Honolulu. But after 2-3 uses of the top down the rattles came, and now it's noisier than before. Very frustrating since it has 13000 miles and we have babied the car. The car is now out of the warrantee, although the new headliner was put in 4 months ago. I can't imagine shipping it back for another 3 weeks after all this. Probably will sell it.
Why not get it fixed, the fix should be valid regardless of warranty, these fixes are warranty for at least one year from the date of repair.

haleakalag

If it were just a local dealer I would have brought it in the first day. I would have to send the car back again by ferry, be without it again for 2-3 weeks, arrange for return and pickup. Not to mention risk of dings or other between the ferry company driving it on/off boat, and all the in-between. From what I've read on numerous blogs these G37 verts are notorious for rattles from the roof even after the recommended repair, etc.We had just been lucky that our original headliner didn't rattle, just broke. Now I've got the other problem. If I crank the radio it goes away.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Most roof rattles and squeaks are fixed by the dealers with lubricants, foam tape and minor adjustments or the various cables that are used to retract the fabric on the interior of the top.

Take a read through the TSBs and with some minor mechanical aptitude, you should be able to correct your issues & keep your ride!
Good luck!

haleakalag

Thanks. I originally printed that up and showed it to the Nissan techs here. They said they had no experience with it, wouldn't risk it, which is why Consumer affairs arranged to ship the car back to Honolulu for the headliner replacement. I'm disappointed they didn't noise proof it per the TSBs knowing we were 100 miles away on another island with no dealer. Like most repairs, I'm sure just a little common sense and patience are needed. We love our Infiniti's. I sold my G35 Coupe and bought the Convertible for my wife. We then got rid of out beloved J30 with 110000 miles, and got an M37, which I love (having owned a Datsun 240z, Nissan 260, 280s, 300zx turbo, and then Infiniti G35 coupe, I was ready for a large golf mobile with a big trunk for clubs, and quiet interior with great stereo. The older we get, the smaller we become, but our cars get larger.

haleakalag

What I was saying above is, we love our Infiniti's. However, it is a challenge owning them when there is no Infiniti dealer, and the assigned Nissan dealer does not have the expertise (or it isn't worth it for them) for the rare complex Infiniti warrantee repair. Thankfully hardly anything goes wrong with them. Here on Maui, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes are the most prevalent luxury cars since we have local dealers.

haleakalag

One last thing. The Infiniti of Honolulu has been great to deal with since we bought out cars there. If the state of Hawaii hadn't shut down our previous drive on inter island ferry, it would have been a piece of cake to personally drive a car onto a boat and cruise a few hours over for a repair and vacation. But now it entails shipping on a commercial line, with all sorts of advance arrangement, paperwork, and leaving it to numerous other personnel. When we got one car back last year it was missing a tailpipe chrome piece. Not ideal.

cmesurf

haleakalag wrote:Follow up. Got the new headliner in. It worked well for 3 months, now have loud rattles along both rear headliner panels. At least it's not hanging loose anymore. I love this car with exception of the roof noise. 13000 miles and sounds like 60000. The dealer is on another island (we are in Hawaii, so now out of luck on this).
I bet dealer forgot to do tsb felt tape work:

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”