Headlights automatic shut-off?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
eastgurl

Do the headlights shut themselves off after the car has been turned off? Or do you have to manually turn them off?

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

Already answered somewhere. They turn off automatically after 5 minutes, but its not recommended that you keep them on.

I got daytime running lights installed, so mine turn on automatically even in the off position, and turn off when I shut the car off They still stay on if I turn them on though.

eastgurl

Thanks a lot! The saleman told me it doesn't turn off by itself and I couldn't believe it!

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

The Rogue system is for battery saving only not daily use.From the manual:HEADLIGHT SWITCHLightingBattery saver system. When the headlight switch is in the orposition while the ignition switch is inthe ON position, the lights will automaticallyturn off 5 minutes after the ignition switchhas been pushed to the OFF position.. When the headlight switch remains in theor position after the lightsautomatically turn off, the lights will turn onwhen the ignition switch is pushed to theON position.CAUTION. When you turn on the headlightswitch again after the lights automaticallyturn off, the lights will notturn off automatically. Be sure toturn the light switch to the OFFposition when you leave the vehiclefor extended periods of time, otherwisethe battery will be discharged.. Never leave the light switch onwhen the engine is not running forextended periods of time even if theheadlights turn off automatically.2-26 Instruments and controls

cpca
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

Ticmxman wrote: When the headlight switch remains in the [parking lights] or [full headlights] position after the lights automatically turn off, the lights will turn on when the ignition switch is pushed to the ON position.
If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that for the Xenon headlights (SL AWD Premium package) the life of the lamps is slightly affected by the number of times the lights are switched on. So that would be a reason not to cause the headlights to turn on unnecessarily.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

cpca wrote:If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that for the Xenon headlights (SL AWD Premium package) the life of the lamps is slightly affected by the number of times the lights are switched on. So that would be a reason not to cause the headlights to turn on unnecessarily.
Yep.

From the manual:XENON HEADLIGHTS (if so equipped)WARNINGHIGH VOLTAGE. When xenon headlights are on, theyproduce a high voltage. To preventan electric shock, never attempt tomodify or disassemble. Always haveyour xenon headlights replaced at aNISSAN dealer.. Xenon headlights provide considerablymore light than conventionalheadlights. If they are not correctlyaimed, they might temporarily blindan oncoming driver or the driverahead of you and cause a seriousaccident. If headlights are not aimedcorrectly, immediately take your vehicleto a NISSAN dealer and havethe headlights adjusted correctly.When the xenon headlight is initially turned on,its brightness or color varies slightly. However,the color and brightness will soon stabilize.. The life of xenon headlights will beshortened by frequent on-off operation.It is generally desirable not to turnoff the headlights for short intervals(for example, when the vehicle stops ata traffic signal).. If the xenon headlight bulb is close toburning out, the brightness will drasticallydecrease, the light will startblinking, or the color of the light willbecome reddish. If one or more of theabove signs appear, contact a NISSANdealer.SIC2745Type ASIC3019Type BHEADLIGHT AND TURN SIGNALSWITCHInstruments and controls 2-25

Return to “Rogue Forum”