Head Sawp

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
TeckniX

How is it that on the e you didn't have to drop the oil pan to remove the lower timing chain cover, yet on the de I'm having all kinds of problems. Like oil pump is getting in the way, so it seems I gotta take off the oil pan, which really sucks cuz it's gona be messy and also I don't have anything to really lift up the engine and get the oil pan out of the way.

Any help or suggestion from anyone? Why am I having such problems, on a 92 ka24de? to simply remove the head? Yeah it is my first time fiddling with the kas, but still shouldn't be that bad. Same with the cam timing chains, they seem to be a b**** to remove.... :-\ sorry annoyed by the situation.

spitz7985
Car: HICAS S13

oil pan is easy to drop.

your fan shroud and electric fan should already be out,drop the sway bar, leave the end links on tho,unbolt plates that connect block to bottom of belhousing,put a jack under the belhousing,unbolt the passenger motor mount,jack up engine unbolt oil pan,tap with rubber hammer up and down the sides.

the biggest thing is to make sure you clean the **** out of the pan and block mating surfaces and put lots of good gasket on it (but not so much that it falls into the pan). e-mail me with any more questions, i had the same problem you are having. we dont want to jack this guys thread any more.

-Brandon

Charlie240sxt
Car: 95 240sx SE Ka24det!!! 98 audi A4

Any updates on this me and a few buddys have most that stuff laying around keep posting how your doin

DaydreamDrifter
Car: 90 240sx 00 Altima

by anychancedid you keep a template of your timing covers' plate?

glacier985
Car: 72 240z
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

I dont have a template, but its not hard to make. And as of now I have all but stopped on the car, I lost spark again and cant find the problem. So I decided to take a break from it since I was getting real frustrated. I am also gonna have a couple mechanics look at it, one builds race car motors in his spare time, I hope he has an answer. I am currently trying to make a list of every part I had and everything I did to get it together and almost running. I actually did drive it around the block and then I had a couple wires come loose. And it hasnt started since I went and solder the wires in the wiring harness together, wierd i think.

Anyway, it should only be a couple weeks before I get a list of everything together. And instead of doing a full writeup I might just do like a FAQ.

DaydreamDrifter

i am about to do this swap in a week and i am not too mechanicall inclined, i need some details. reading through this thing a few times hasn't cleared everything up because of everyone putting in their 2cents but haven't done it themselves

S13ChucKAT
Car: asd

If you arent mechanically enclined.. i would suggest staying away from this project.

nab911

Yeah i am pretty mechanicly inclined and im scared. I just picked up a ka24de yesterday for 25 dollars but there isnt a wiring harness.. Glacier did you use the de harness or the e? I have an e block all torn down now but i am going to get new rings and gaskets for all of this and clean it up real nice because this is just a spare project for a motor we have on an engine stand.

DaydreamDrifter

don't worry, chuc, with the information i know i can do it.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

I used the e wiring harness, but my fuel injectors are hard wired.

DaydreamDrifter

could you explain in some detail what that invovles and any other task of that sort?

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

i take some pictures tomorrow of what i did to the harness.

sleepyRPS13
Car: to sleep

pics pics pics sorry its 2:15am cant sleep

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

sleepyRPS13 wrote:pics pics pics sorry its 2:15am cant sleep

****, Im so sorry. I went to the fair with the girlfriend and totally forgot until I checked today. I go get them right now.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

okay heres the picture.

I went and bought some clips the slide perfectly onto the plugs in the DOHC injectors, there were just small enough so that the dont touch each other. I then wired them to the ends and plugged them in and they worked.

DaydreamDrifter

thanks for the pic. I am just waiting on Buying some rebuild-type parts, i.e. lube and liquid gasket. and also a set of used cams and hopefully sr injectors as i have been trying to source some. But my main concern is about all of the vaccumm lines that i have slaughtered upon removal of the head and manifold. I don't know where anything goes now and the fsm doesn really show much.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

If your having problems with the vacuum lines I came across a website while searching here that had a diagram that was an actual picture and it helped my a lot, but unfortunatly I can't remebr it.

TeckniX

Would pictures help? I can upload a bunch of pictures. Anyway, the vaccum lines all come from the TB ( throttle body) then go to some hard pipes to the back of the head. In the back of the head it basically loops around to go to fpr, and other items and then comes back out to go to another part. Basically the 2 loops in the back are from the same, TB vaccum.

DaydreamDrifter

I am trying to remove all emmission concerning things, I have no smog check so no worry there. I have searched and found two threads on two forums, but seemingly everyone knows everything and everything differently. Pics would be great just so i can match up the words with the pictures. If you could find that site i would be very grateful glacier, thanks guys.

TeckniX

Glacier985, do you see any possibilities to mount the SOHC power steering pump anywhere? I would really like to keep power steering. From having the head out, it almost seems like I could fabricate a bracket that would work, using the lower intake manifold bolt and the 2 holes close to the coolant neck. Do you think I'd have the clearance? How did u plug yours?

nab911

Well I started the removal of my DE head today but i didnt have a socket to pull off the front CAM bolts to get down to the head bolts. The motor I bought seems to be alright but the guy didnt know why it was blown so im hoping its a head gasket or somthing. Glacier.. im still waiting on a list of custom parts or whatnot to get this to work because im gonna have to fab everything :)

S13ChucKAT
Car: asd

Lol.. everything you remove from the DE, you will put over to the E

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

TeckniX wrote:Glacier985, do you see any possibilities to mount the SOHC power steering pump anywhere? I would really like to keep power steering. From having the head out, it almost seems like I could fabricate a bracket that would work, using the lower intake manifold bolt and the 2 holes close to the coolant neck. Do you think I'd have the clearance? How did u plug yours?
I have yet to put my power steering back in, but I already know where I am going to put it. I removed my AC and that left a huge area on the right side of the engine bay to put the pump (and the DE pump is located on this side). I'm am going to custom make a bracket to fit the PS pump to where the AC was, but first I have to get a new coil.

TeckniX

I was thinking of something similar.. but I'm gona try to keep my A/C although it doesn't work right now.. so I might ditch it.Meanwhile did u just plug the lines?

klattr1
Car: GT42R powered S14/KA

how good did it drive when you took it around the block and before you called it quits?could it be your distributor is off a tooth?it has to be exact while at TDC (compression stroke) and the rotor on the distributor has to line up where the number 1 spark plug wire enters the distributor. its easy to be off a hair.i have a pic if you need it. i dont know if it will help you though.

nab911

Im going to have to retime my whole setup because i pulled the distributor totaly out. Anyways i got the whole de head off and after look and thinking i figured roughly what it will take. There are actualy 2 chains on the de. To fit to front extension for the double chain on the de im going to have to mate the front cover to the front of the sohc block (i see what glacier meant). Im going to redo the rings on the e block because yeah.... The oil galleys on the de head are clogged so im gonna clean em out and shine it all up and stuff. I got scared after pulling the head off because a small metal cylinder about the size of marble... It was just sitting on top of the 4th piston.... There was also some black... sandy gritty stuff.... im gonna ignore it and clean up the head and slap it on the e... Gotta find time between the ca and this thing.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

It ran alright, not enough to get the full power out of it and I babyed it to. But now it doesnt run at all, no spark and I dont know why. I'm about to buy a new wiring harness, I think that might be the problem now. I tested my coil in my friends 240 and his car started right up, I have two distributors and switching them does nothing, none of my fuses that would cause me to not have spark are blown. So I guess my wiring ****ed or something.

Now on to the parts list, I decided that I am going to get it done friday night, there are a couple things that will make your life easier, because they gave me nightmares. I'm going to try and get pictures of the parts as well. I just hope I actually get it done, but with work, school, girlfriend, and my altimas bumper getting ****ed (fixing it right now). I just haven't had time. But I am always open to questions if you need any help, just PM me, or email me a [email protected] and I'll get back to you ASAP.

nab911

Well im not sure what to do on the wiring harness... i plan on putting this in a vert im bout to pick up so ill just use the dohc harness and not have to ghetto anything. The only problem im seeing right now is the fact that that front cover has to be mated but other than that, ill have to get the water lines hooked up right and hope the exhaust will mate up perfectly.

nab911

Glacier... what did you about the distributors? I was just sitting down looking at it and the de has it on the head and the sohc has it on the block...

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

nab911 wrote:Glacier... what did you about the distributors? I was just sitting down looking at it and the de has it on the head and the sohc has it on the block...

I used the SOHC distributor, because I had two the only have 90K miles on them each. And I had the Hole for the DOHC distributor welded shut.

And its sunday, anyone wondering where the list is? Well I had to eat dinner with my dads family friday, then had his 50th birthday party yesterday so I havent had time, but Im going to try and finish it today and maybe have it on here by 12PM EST tonight. So if your waiting for it I havent forgot.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”