Have to bore my vg30e block

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
yota73
Car: 1973 Toyota Celica project

Ok I would like to know where I can get some pistons for an overbored vg30e as I need to bore the engine out. There is some piston ring scaring in my #6 cylinder and haven't done any measuring yet. I was just wondering if there is a manufacture for pistons for this engine. I will be boosting via big arse turbo and need something that will hold the power.

yota73

I need help on this please! Why does it always take like two weeks on this forum to get an answer so I can buy the parts to rebuild my motor.

hun t_x
Car: 1991 fairlady 300zx tt std rhd

are you sure the bore is f***ed? I have torn down many VG30's DE ,DET and DETT and I have never found one where the bore is f***ed unless a rod bust and the shrapnel scored the bore, the fact it is #6 makes me highly suspect it was just over heated probably blew the head gasket too and melted down the skirt on #6 and left a smear of molten aluminum down the bore the liners in theses engines is nitride coated and hardened if you pull the piston and clean up the bore with a piece of fine emery cloth I bet you will find the block is fine, the best bet is to replace them with forged pistons but if a new set of those is around $800 or more you can get a set of good used DETT pistons from someone that is upgrading to forged and have the domes shot peened and ceramic coated and you can coat the skirts with dry film lubricant like Nissan does with the VK56 factory pistons while you have it apart you should remove all the casting slag in the main coolant passage thats the reason they over heat around 5+6 there is some must casting slag round those cylinders when it gets hot those 2 get so hot they usually blow the head gasket out and melt down the piston

yota73

Well I only say it needs to be bored because there are at least three distinct grooves in the cylinder walls and while I am in there I will have the crank micropolished as well. I want to know if anyone makes oversized pistons for these engines or can I just put the pistons in with the stock bore and the rings will seal it.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”