Handling Dynamics... !!

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

uvamosk wrote:Hey, So I have another question Should I really drop the money for a full coilover suspension or run on a stock and spring ? setup... the car is a street car with Autox / drift asperations... If anyone can give me some input it will be my daily driver... but I want it to be a nice handling car...
My recommendation would be to start with stock, and then decide what improvements you want to make. If you buy a 240sx, Miata, MR2, etc, you are already starting with an excellent handling car. Far better than you think. If this is going to your daily driver, then you need to weigh the benefits of handling improvements versus the deteriorating ride quality involved in accomplishing it. Think of it this way, It would be awesome to shave a few 10ths off an autocross run 10 times per year, but for the rest of the year, are you willing to endure driving over a cigarette butt and being able to identify the brand? There is no right or wrong answer. It's a question of what you want.

InsanityInc

Nismo_Freak wrote:There is a reason why every single form of racing looks to shave every gram of weight off the car as deemed legal in the regulations.
Yep. There are a few reasons. For one, generally regulations ALSO limit tire sizing. If the normal vehicle weight will overload tires of the maximum allowable size, then shaving weight will definitely help handling. Additionally, the better braking and acceleration is obvious. And there IS a marginal increase in handling capability due to straight reduction in sprung weight. However, as I said the difference from your weight distribution is FAR greater, which is why I would prefer a heavier car with a better distribution to a lighter one with a worse distribution. The distribution simply makes MORE difference.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

But with the 240sx weight distribution really isnt a huge problem. Neither is sprung weight. Going out and Tuning your suspension will have the greatest effects on performance (other than sticky arse tires of course). Get out there and maximize those contact patches fellas!

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”