Handbrake Cable

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
odpl_Razor

Hi

I'm in the process of fixing my brakes and I noticed that the front cable for the handbrake the one that is attached to the handbrake lever down to the bottom of the handbrake/floor lever is missing and was replaced with a very thick industrial cable with U-bolts to hold it onto place.

Now I want to know the thickness and length of that cable so I can go to a motorbike shop or auto cable shop and they can match it for me.

Cheers

71-521

Replace that before you do anything else!

odpl_Razor

actually the previous owner did this cable install and it actually works fine but I still prefer the normal cable.

so back to my question what is the length of the cable?

matti

80mm overall length (ie inclusive of the collars which are abot 10mm) Have fun

odpl_Razor

Thank you very much for that!!!

odpl_Razor

Hey matti are you sure about the 80mm length? to me it seems too short.

Can anyone please confirm this for me

Thanks heaps

matti

You can change the length if you wish, However changing the length of the cable through the floor will change the amount of adjustment of the cable which comes off the other end of the lever. It's all just a simple lever setup which you can manipulate within reason to suit you. If you are still having trouble adjusting your hand brake I suggest you start by setting the first cable length at 80mm. Set the next cable at full length and then go to the rear brakes and adjust them. 1 reason for the brakes grabbing and then becoming loose when you rotate them is they aren't settled in after adjusting and another is brake drums wear "out of round" which can be fixed by having the drums machined. It costs about $10 a drum and most good tyre shops will do it. I recomend doing it to the front drums at least as it reduces front end vibrations when the brakes are applied. good luck

odpl_Razor

Thanks for the reply!!! you're a lifesaver!

now I'm getting one made up but I dont know the design of the head the size or diametre of the cable and the head.

anyone got a pic of it?

odpl_Razor

I measured the front cable again from the handbrake lever to the link and its 115mm 80mm wont even reach

would this cable design work on the lever and the link?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/ ... /cable.jpg[/img]

I forgot the head is around 7mm in length

advice please

matti

If you can hang out till this weekend I will remove mine take a photo and add dimensions to it for you. an extra 35mm will do one of two things: Increase the hight the handbrake lever will take effect on the rest of the system or you will loose the adjustment on the next cable because you will have to turn it right in to take up the slack of the first cable. I will measure all the cables for you as my hand brake was locking on with about  30 degrees rise of the handbrake lever.cheers

matti

here is a crappy pic of what I mean. If you lengthen cable 1 the lever will rotate anti clockwise. This moves the other end closer to cable 2 which means you will have to screw up the adjustment on cable 2 to take up the slack. I suggest you screw the adjustment on cable 2 right to the end so it is at its maximum length and then measure the distance of cable 1. I hope this helps. If not at least get a laugh out of my piccy. cheers

odpl_Razor

thanks for the reply, will wait for the weekend for your cable.

I will try adjusting the 2nd cable 1st then measure the 1st cable again.

Thanks heaps for doing this

Cheers

Rob

matti

G'day here are the pics as promised. Do you need any others?

odpl_Razor

Good morning!!!

up so early matti!

I was up 4am this morning and it was 2degrees... I hate winter

do you have a better pic? like high resolution or close up pics of the head? whats "c/c"  the measurement including the bracket looking thing?

Cheers

matti

Sorry mate c/c means centre to centre of the holes for the clevis pin. I could take pics of the heads but they are slightly different and i don't know if my camera will show it. Basically it is piss easy to remove your hand brake lever and the first bell crank so you should just rip em out take the measurements to the cable shop and see if they have any ends that will fit. Once you have the ends use the c/c measurement to set the length of your cable. Cheers

odpl_Razor

will do that, I've got some cables I got from the wreckers I'm just thinking I'll just weld them together as I couldnt find a place to make one up for me. They all want a sample and wants to charge between $200 - $300 just for a small cable!!! rip off

matti

You've got the right idea! If welding wont work you can also try heat shrinking a collar on or swaging a collar. Good Luck. I'm sorry I couldn't help you any more. cheers

odpl_Razor

You've helped me a lot mate!!!

thanks very much

brunop

You found another problem again & l have the same problem & had a new one made by local companys after two years of trying to find old stock. l've replace all the cables remade new ones in my ute. Bruns;)

odpl_Razor

I still havent welded some cables for mine to make one for replacement.

I called up places and the only way to do it is with sample which i dont have

so decided to just weld cables together from another car

brunop

Hi Razor, Don't worrow l had the same problem because mine broke in two & the wrecks of mine surpplyed samples for me to remake a new cables. Razor lf you had looked members profile of the datto 1200 .com site. you would found me & your a member. Bruns:D

odpl_Razor

But i dont have the stock cable or the broken cable as the previous owner replaced it with industrial cable with U bolt to lock it on the lever

71-521

brunop: did it cost you an arm and a leg to have them made?

It might be worthwhile to have others made from your new ones at that place...

maybe see if they can get you a better price for quantity...

odpl_Razor

I've been told that it will cost around AU$200+

which is absolute rip-off

brunop

Thanks Super moderator & Razor about the cables. firstly l'm not allways on the net much these days, so please give me time to get back to you boys. The Question asked ''The cost'' l had the lot done in one hit, so all cables was done at the same time using some of the original fittings that was on the items to remake the cables, for example: throttle cable- screw cap & spring at the firewall end of the cable(where your brake master & clutch cylinders sit) was put on the new cable, cost all up $ 450 Aussie that include new boots (Rubber) on the end cables where bolts on frame & thou the body where the hand brake cable thou the floor, Pricey Yes but when l had them done l had no joice to get them. don't be surpriced one day they will advailable. Why... alot of people are now buying (there is alot for sale at this moment in JUST CARS magazine Australia. prices from $1.500 Aussie) or own one of these vehicles & people will demand the parts. Razor, l have scannered what you wanted but can not find a e-mail address on your profiles(1200.com & here) contact me on the e-mail adress in my profile or of the chat page from the other day & l will try & resize them for this site & put them on when they're done. Thanks boys Bruns :cool:

P.s. Guys enjoy this steering page (below) from the datsun parts book on our N-300

brunop

l have resized the two jpg photos of the parts book on our dattos handbrake cables all of them to the back wheels. they are clean as l can get at this moment. enjoy Bruns ;)

brunop

here is the other one on the cables

brunop

Last one folks Bruns ;)

odpl_Razor

wow thank you for the scanned pages of your manual.

Where did you manage to buy that?

wish you were in brisbane and I could've paid you and photo copied it hehehe

The threads/posts here are a bit slow compare to other forum, cos I think there's not much members and very few people are from australia.

I'll print these images

thanks again.

brunop

Hey Razor, Great to help. As of the books, l have said on this site that l have these books on our dattos & l have bought them from persons who own one or from Auto swap meets like super southern swap meet in ballarat victoria & other swap meets l go to. Likes of ballarat swap meet is were l met the company who did my cables & there was companys who could rebuild your front & rear chrome bumpers this year. this swap meet has over two thou, seven hunred sites to find what you need for your old cars. You could take a million bucks to this meet & blow it all in the three days it runs for & it takes alot of hours to go around the sites. My site number is 1121 for anyone want to drop in sometime. Bruns ;)

Return to “Datsun 320”