Guns, guns, and more guns

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

agreed.

anyway...two of the finest revolvers ever made!tp:

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Picture link attempt failure. They don't like outside linking, lol.

-Dan

Mr1der

bastards!

it's a ***** to find a good pic of the first one to post.

however names it first gets a cookie!

fayceoff

I'm gonna name it Roscoe. Like every other revolver. Where's my cookie?!

Mr1der

it's Franz sir.

it's of strong German lineage.

Thaddeus
Car: 1998 240SX se 1984 Porsche 944

Here's mine, The Sig is the newest to the collection and is now my service weapon. My favorite is the Kimber .45

Mr1der

ooo Blackwater.

isn't that one about 900 bills?

Thaddeus

Yeah it's money. I used to train there and mid-south I thought it would be cool.

Mr1der

used to train?

I'd like to go to Blackwater...needs money though.

Thaddeus

Compliments of the government.

Mid-south institute for self defence shooting is in your neck of the woods (Memphis area).

Mr1der

yeah...I'm trying to remember where Blackwater is...I was thinking it's in Mississippi.

or Ark...

Thaddeus

North Carolina actually. A stones throw from Damn Neck and Ft. Bragg.

Mr1der

eh...not TOO far...I think it's about an 8 hour drive...

auditech10
Car: 03 M45

Well I just found this part of the forums. Im an avid shooter and like to be around others with the same hobbies.I have a G19 with 4 G18 mags(factory ones of course) and a Kimber Custom CDP 1911 with Wilson Combat 8rd mags.I plan on a stainless Kimber Custom TLE II and a Mossberg Mariner with extended mag in the near future and an M4, more than likely a Bushmaster but also possibly an Armalite. Anybody on here have experiences with an Armalite AR15???Cheers all

bcar240
Car: 1993 240SX HB

auditech10 wrote:Anybody on here have experiences with an Armalite AR15???Cheers all
I went out to the range once with one of the local rifle teachers (not sure exactly what he does, I know he teaches marksmanship classes). But I got to shoot his Armalite AR-15 with a weighted stock, 20" stainless match barrel, and 2-stage trigger. That was a NICE gun.

Mr1der

Armalite in my opinion, is the best non custom AR you can get.

Bushmasters are really nice for the price...on par with Colt and really...Armalite.

last I checked an M4 style rifle could be had just shy of a grand.

I still wanna get another AK.

auditech10
Car: 03 M45

Which brand AKs are good? Ive heard the Yugoslavian ones were the better ones but I have no idea. I looked on gunsamerica and found like 10 different brands, some a lot more expensive than others.

Mr1der

actually, the Chinese are among the best.

Bulgarian are freakin' sweet and the only ones milled.

most you'll find now however are built on US made recievers.

regardless of where it came from, it'll be of decent quality. the Century Arms AK's are nice.

the Romanian's aren't too bad. Russian and Chinese are the best though...and most exspensive. the Egyptian's are ok too.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

My friend has a Hakim Rifle, likes it really well. I always thought it looked like an SKS.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

I personally dont like the AK-47 of the ones that I have shot. I just don't like the feel the rifle. People would be surprised to find, with the price of a good AK-47, they could buy a lot of good military surplus rifles.

Mr1der

yeah...a G3 or CETME can be found on a US receiver for about the same.

I want one of the DSA FAL rifles.

like the compact 11 inch barreled full auto one...mwhahhahah

ahh...the OSW..that's what it was called.

behold!

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58OSW

in reviews, it's been called "a hoss"

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

Cold_Zero wrote:People would be surprised to find, with the price of a good AK-47, they could buy a lot of good military surplus rifles.
Uh... I could get you an AK for 250 bucks... I mean, it's not legal, but I find it hard to believe it'd be THAT much more expensive legally...

Mr1der

nope, he's right.

the AK is rising in price....you can get more accurate semi auto's cheaper.

I still wanna get a G3...love those heavy bastards...G3 scoped...probably just leave it zeroed at about 300 yds.

bobotech

Stay away from the WASR series. They are the bottom of the barrel AKs. I have more AKs that I know what to do with and love the series.

I currently have about 6 built one and about 14 more kits to build (waiting on receivers).

The only really good Century AKs that I have seen are the Yugos. They are wide trunnions and are beefier and heavier than the SAR and WASR series of guns that Century builds.

The WASR series are the cheapest but they just lack the finish that the more expensive models have.

If I was looking to get a cheap AK, I would look at http://www.classicarms.us and look at the Saigas. They are real russian AKs built at the Izumth (sp?) plant and are as real soviet as you can get.

However they are sporterized versions so you don't get the cool pistol grip and other AK style aspects but they are quite convertible to that style (but you need to keep 922c in mind).

I really enjoy the whole AK series because of how "evil" they are perceived by the public even though they are nothing different than a Ruger 10/22 that shoots a bigger round.

Any AK should be a decent 100 yard rifle. They were never designed to be long distance rifles, they were designed for close combat/room to room combat situations so long distance accuracy was never ALL that important compared to the AR series which out of the box are much more accurate.

Funny thing, I shoot my AKs MUCH more than my ARs. Ammo by the case is still reasonably priced (150-200 a case but going up) compared to 250-350 a case for .223.

My favorite AK is my Yugo underfolder. A lot of fun to shoot. Yes, you can get much more accurate surplus weapons an for cheaper (the Mosin series anyone?) but they aren't semi automatic or have ammo that costs much more.

I have been looking at the Swiss K31 and its a very lovely gun however ammo is very pricey. Then you get into the 308 models where ammois REALLY pricey.

Thats why I stay away from the CETMEs and the G3s and other 308 guns. Just too expensive to shoot these days.

Don't get me wrong, they are awesome guns, I just choose a lot of my guns on the availability and price of ammo. What good is a gun if you can't afford to shoot it?

I also don't care for the G3 (I think its the G3 series) because of the fluted chambers.

A fluted chamber will aid in extraction however since its fluted, when you shoot it, it destroys the brass making it totally unreloadable.

If you really want an AK, get a Saiga first then followed by the Yugo series and then lastly the WASR series (those are the cheaper ones). If you can afford an Arsenal or other higher end brand, go for it, I'm mainly concerned with the lower end AK series.

I would love a FAL one of these days, I love how they are built.

Mr1der

no lie about just shooting the .308's...

another gun I want is an SVD...7.62x54r is deliciously cheap for what it is....granted...most of what you get is semi corrosive..but it's all gravy if you have a cleaning kit.

I don't have the 800 or so sitting around though, if I did, I'd probably by a Savage Tactical in .300 Win Mag though...need something I can go a ways out with...just for fun and practice even though it's hard to find a place to make a shot more than 250 yards around here.

bcar240

Mr1der wrote:another gun I want is an SVD...7.62x54r is deliciously cheap for what it is....granted...most of what you get is semi corrosive..but it's all gravy if you have a cleaning kit.
Oooo, I love the SVDs. One of those guns on my "when I get rich" list, . All the ones I've seen seem to be a running between 1-2k. Seems like they are relatively rare because anytime someone tries to import them they only get a few hundred guns in before the BATF or someone shuts it down. There are a bunch of Chinese versions of them in .308, but it's 7.62x54r or bust for me.

I also just picked up the .40s&w P226 I mention earlier in the thread, and am very excited about it. The thing was slathered in packing oil/grease though, so I am going to have to clean it very thoroughly before taking it to the range.

Pic is not mine, but in general.

Mr1der

P226 is an excellent pistol.

a bit big..but that's only if you wanna hide it.

how much did you give for it and was it new?

bcar240

Ya, it's definitely a full sized pistol. I don't really plan on carrying it, but I've heard of people concealing 1911s, and if they can do that then I should be able to find a way if I want to in the future (might limit clothing choices though).

I got it new for $710, and it came with 2 mags, rails, and night sights.

bobotech

Mr1der wrote:no lie about just shooting the .308's...

another gun I want is an SVD...7.62x54r is deliciously cheap for what it is....granted...most of what you get is semi corrosive..but it's all gravy if you have a cleaning kit.

I don't have the 800 or so sitting around though, if I did, I'd probably by a Savage Tactical in .300 Win Mag though...need something I can go a ways out with...just for fun and practice even though it's hard to find a place to make a shot more than 250 yards around here.
SVD for 800? I don't think that is remotely possible. Maybe an SVD for 3 thousand dollars, but not 800. That hasn't been heard of since the early 90's.

Used to be deliciously cheap. Its now about 20 cents a round if you can find light ball. Very hard to find now. 3 months ago I could find tons of it for 10 cents a round.

Those days appear to be gone.

Mr1der

I'm confusing it with the Romanian copy....which actually isn't even a copy...I haven't looked into them much

http://www.impactguns.com/store/IRC45.html

I think the last time I got some...it was 3 bucks for a bag of 20 for...****...I can't remember the country...but it's a silver tip match load. This was probably damn...actually about a year ago.

I need to find that guide to the different tip colors for the bullet designation....Russian silver tip stuff is something fiercely different from the match I've got...might've been Czech maybe...

Return to “The Great Outdoors”