Guns, guns, and more guns

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
bobotech

Okay, I understand your confusion. Thanks to Tennessee Guns in TN, people will be confusing real dragunovs (svds/tigrs/ndm86) with Romak 3/psl.

The romak 3/psl is what is pictured (and I have one) and is still randomly imported into the US to this day. They usually run around 800-1200 dollars depending on the options. They are bascially a stretched longggg barrel AK action that handles the 7.62x54r round just like the Dragunov.

A real Dragunov has an action that works like a AK style action (gas operated, it was based off the AK) but otherwise uses completely different parts and has a milled (not stamped) receiver. The Dragunov was only imported for something like 1 or 2 years before they were shut down by the ATF which has made them a rare collector's item.

I would say a real dragunov would be around the 3k and higher mark.

Now the confusion part. TN Guns about 4 years ago decided to import a ton of Romak 3/PSL kits (minus receivers) that they then built into full Romak 3/PSLs with their own receivers. But they did a disservice by misleading the public because they also stamped the word "Dragunov" on the bottom of their receiver along with the serial number.

It was their way of capitalizing on people who really don't know what they are getting and then think they are getting a Dragunov when in reality its not a true Dragunov.

With all that said, the Romak 3/PSL is just as accurate as the Dragunov and uses the same round so it is an awesome gun to get. If you can get one, jump on it.

The silver tipped ammo is knwn as Chech silver tip and was higher priced than the more common Bulgarin but still used to be decently priced.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I actually saw one fo the Romak's for about 800 a few months back...from what I've briefly looked into on them they use the long travel piston just like the ak unlike the Drag's short piston...makes for slower target recovery due to more bounce...I'd like to have one of the Norinco .308's too...good caliber...but has a bit of drop...I'm not really sure how well the 54r shoots past about 150...it's hard to find a spot for long range shooting in TN, too many hills.

I think I'd still rather have the Savage Tac though if I'm gonna drop money on a precision rifle...out of the box some of them have shot 1/2 MOA.

that's a hell of a deal considering you'll spend about 800-1k for one with a good scope.

****in' Optics...I'm clueless on those...

<---uses 20/10 corrected vision and irons.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

I like what you get with a Savage, but I do not like their stocks. Never have, so a new stock would definitely be in order if I got one of those.

On another note, I've been thinking about buying a Remington 700 tactical chambered for the .300 Win Mag as close to the M24 Sniper Weapons System as possible.

bobotech

One thing that entertains me greatly about my Romak is the wow factor that it garners when I go to the range.

Think about it, 10 rounds of Mosin ammo rapid fire. Makes the tac-kool AR guys turn and stare since they are used to their wimpy .223s.

You aren't supposed to rapid fire it but god, its so much fun once in a while. Huge fireball and huge boom.

The recoil assembly and the cool buttstock design (the butt plate has 2 shock springs in it to absorb recoil) make for a gun that feels like it has as little recoil as a standard AK.

I have a 4-8x independent powered reticule scope for my Romak (with sniper style grid pattern, ideal for human sized targets such as... um... humans?).

Is the Savage Tac a semi auto or bolt action?

Any links to info about one?

Mr1der

the tac is a bolt action

here's a review on one of the .300's

http://www.oegmag.com/Savage110FP.asp

here's a link to the manu's site.

http://www.savagearms.com/le_home.htm

msrp is 649 on the .300

actually...that was a crappy review....let's try this one.

http://www.gunblast.com/one_bad_savage.htm

damn...looking for a good review on the rifle really makes me want one...they're all reviewed good, just can't find a good, well written and informative review on it.

hey Andy, isn't the M24 still chambered in .308?

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

i bought a new 870 express super mag today with a black synthetic stock to go along with my other guns. its very nice. 10 days is gonna be a long time.

Mr1der

I <3 instacheck.

I bought my last pistol on my lunchbrake...it was a Friday afternoon...took longer to run my debit card through than pass the background check.

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

yeah, i did all this paper work on my lunch break too.

Mr1der

yeah, you just don't get to leave with the gun though

pics are demanded when you get it....also, some glorious devastation shots from a heavy turkey load out of it.

does anyone actually make a 3 1/2 inch buckshot load for it? I don't check into the 3 1/2 due to not owning one...

bobotech

I bought a couple of things recently. My favorite being a Sig 2340. Its the polymer framed Sig and has an incredible trigger pull.

I also really like the 40 caliber. Nice compromise between the 9 and 45acp.

Mr1der

what else did you get?

I haven't really messed with teh polymer Sig's...most places around here don't have them...or Sigs in general.

bobotech

A Saiga 12 (on layaway, need to pick it up), and I agreed to purchase a guy's SLR 95 AK47. The SLR95 is the bulgarian milled ak from the mid 90's. I have always wanted a milled ak. I have enough stamped ones to last me a long time.

Mr1der

I <3 SLR's...to me, they've got a reassuring feel.

it has to have the crappy thumbhole doesn't it? or are you gonna throw in a few American parts to fix that?

bobotech

Mr1der wrote:I <3 SLR's...to me, they've got a reassuring feel.

it has to have the crappy thumbhole doesn't it? or are you gonna throw in a few American parts to fix that?
Yup. I shall fix that with the trigger group, muzzle brake, gas piston, and maybe pistol grip.

Mr1der

good man.

I do expect pics of it...I think I've only seen two of them in person..they feel great though. I wanna shoot one.

bobotech

Mr1der wrote:good man.

I do expect pics of it...I think I've only seen two of them in person..they feel great though. I wanna shoot one.
LOL, its going to be at least 3 months before I get that one.

Why didn't anyone ever tell me that guns are so freaking addictive and expensive!! And I haven't even gotten an really expensive gun yet. My most expensive pistol was about 450-500.

The only thing that I keep saying to myself is that I could sell them someday and not really lose money. Its not like buying car parts where you lose money like crazy.

Oh yeah, I saw a real NDM-86 Dragunov at the fun show last weekend. They only wanted 2200. Was really nice and pretty. Man, I wish I had the money for something like that but I could spend 2200 for a bunch of fun things rather than one fancy gun.

Mr1der

my most exspensive is the XD...I'll probably exceed that in a few years when I break down and get an X Frame for no good reason other than hurting my hands.

yeah...I can probably get more than the 150 I paid for the Russian SKS now...everything else right now..probably not. Need more stuff that'll be deemed collectible in a few years.

Bwana
Car: Denali

I think I'm going to trade my mkII in on a P22 in the near future. Time for a new plinking pistol.

Mr1der

I like them...but they're just too damn small for my hand.

I need to go get a nice Stainless bull barrel MKIII.

Bwana

I have small hands, so they work well for me. Joe has one, and it's a ton of fun to shoot, plus silencers are readily available...

Mr1der

for reals...

about any place that sells them have a few cans...gonna drop more on it than the gun though.

I wanna get a MK23 or a USP Tac with one.

bobotech

I modified my Mark III 22/45. I really like the grip angle of the 22/45 (it matches the 1911 and has the mag release in the same spot) but the grip was way too thin.

It doesn't have removable grip panels so i made it have removable ones. What I did was use a bridgeport to mill the raised portion of the grip so that it was flat and then drilled and tapped the 2 1911 bushing holes and mounted the bushings in place.

Once done, I was able to add any 1911 grip to my little Ruger Mark III and I currently have the hogue rubber grip. Much nicer than stock.

Bwana

Sweet action!

Mr1der

pics or shens.

bobotech

You will see that the grips are the same on my 1911 and my Mark III. I really like it that way, makes the gun very comfortable to me and feels much more substantial.

Mr1der

cool deal.

what's the make on the .45?

Jager
Car: s12 nissan 200sx 1985

the 45 is a norinco 1911, not a bad and inexpensive way to get into the 45 cal round.

they make a 12ga 3 1/2 inch shell, for the 870 isnt the easiest to find unless its nearer to hunting season though as its not the most popular. the SLR is a very nice gun I didnt particularly like the overly plastic grey mess it came with, but the gun was nice to shoot. Its also very unique i liked the 45 cal version that they released at the same time though. the UMP is always a fun gun to shoot.

my favorite was and still is the preban 3 part folding stock uzi machine pistol. it had the long barrel so it complied with the ATF , but nothing like ripping through a few hundred rounds of 9mm to make your day :P

bobotech

He is right, its a norinco. Mine apparently was worked over though. The trigger is much nicer and smoother than my step-kid's dad's real 1937 Colt 1911. My kid prefers shooting mine over his dad's.

I'm thinking about getting another 45 though. I'm being spoiled by my new Sig 40 cal and I am thinking I want a doublestack 45. My kid's xd45 is quite nice.

Mr1der

the old Colt's were quite rough.

most of the newer 1911's are improvements.

the XD45 comes recommended by me.

I <3 my bi tone. the Trigger is great for a stryker pistol and the ergonomics fit a larger hand very well.

bobotech

I still would prefer a da/sa action though. I'm used to my revolvers and other guns that have DA actions. I like being able to hit it again if you get a light primer strike.

My ideal 45 would be doublestack, reasonable sized, da/sa, decocker, and a rail.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”