ground locations

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
The Wet Socks
Car: 1991 240sx

I have been having some what I think are electrical issues with my 91 s13. The radio will randomly work (usually it doesn't) and the speedometer only works half the time. And today the starter didn't work but you can hear the single click of the solenoid engaging. Until now the engine ran fine, it idles at around 1800rpm though, but no issues with staying running or starting. The check engine light is on and the ecu gave me the 14 and 32 error codes for speed and egr system errors. I used to fix my own car before I got this one but it was a 68 bmw and was a lot less complex electrically. Any ideas of where I can start looking to get the car to start again? It leaks a lot so i thought maybe the engine bay grounds might be messed up but I'm not sure.
Any help is appreciated,
Destin

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Sounds like a bunch of problems that have gone uncorrected, and not necessarily related.
There's a few engine grounds, with the main one going from the intake manifold to the battery if I remember correctly, and another one going from the exhaust side of the head to the firewall.

Might just need a new starter, radio, and gauge cluster. The speedos are known to go bad on these unfortunately.
High idle could be a vacuum leak.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:09 pm
Sounds like a bunch of problems that have gone uncorrected, and not necessarily related...
High idle could be a vacuum leak.
Bingo. High idle could also be tps or timing. Fortunately most of this you can check or adjust with a multimeter and timing light for free.

As for the battery, you can have that and the alternator checked for free at most autoparts stores.

As for the radio, that sounds like a bad connection or bad ground. Did you install an aftermarket radio or buy the car with one installed? I'd be willing to bet if its aftermarket its a grounding issue. Pull it out and inspect the harness. If the ground isnt hardwired to chassis itll attempt to ground through the DIN frame. Make sure all 4 screws are installed securely that anchor the radio to the dash. Check the ground wire and make sure it's got a good connection to ground.

What do you mean by, "it leaks a lot"? Like coolant, oil..? Where from?

What voltage is your battery currently at? How old is the battery? What condition are the terminals in?

And 1800 rpm idle isn't 'fine' :nono:

Once you get your battery and starter issue resolved:

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/ka24d ... -idle.html

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/240sx ... iming.html

Listing of articles: https://240sxtech.com/

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Return to “240sx General Discussion”