Grinding noise from rear tires

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Boding
Car: 1994 J30 Infiniti

I just recently starting hearing some grinding like noises coming from my rear tires. I thought the sound may have been coming from the front tires when that guard plate behind the rotor gets bent sometimes and grinds against each other but that wasn't the case. The noise happens while I'm driving. The car even starts to feels a bit out of control from the rear likes its fish taiilng. I do most of the work on the car myself when I can but this problem has stumped me. I have inspected my brake pads and I did have to replace the rotor which was in bad shape due to what I believe was a bad bushing on the rear upper control arm. However the brakes are good with roughly 50% wear. I have inspected my rear shocks. I even went to the junk yard and got some rear shocks and still the same problem. As I mentioned earlier I did have a bushing go bad on the rear upper and lateral control arms which I thought was the culprit but the problem still exist. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Boding

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

possibly bad wheel bearings

Boding
Car: 1994 J30 Infiniti

Thank you for the quick response. I hadn't thought about the possibility of bad wheel bearings, but I think you maybe right. I did check my tires and there was also a little too much play. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

agreed! check out the rear wheel bearings....check the fronts as well!
check out rockauto.com for some discontinued inventory

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

agreed! check out the rear wheel bearings....check the fronts as well!
check out rockauto.com for some discontinued inventory

98_Q45

I had a wheel bearing go out on the highway at 70 mph. I was trying to get the noise diagnosed prior. Fortunately I felt the fishtailing effect and immediately got off the next exit. After driving a few miles at about 40 mph, the whole hub broke, and the wheel was a wobbly mess. Anything faster than 15 mph, I couldn’t control the wheel.

One of the worst breakdowns I’ve ever experienced. This car certainly has 9 lives, and I think I’ve used about 6 in the 2.5 years I’ve owned it lol.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”