Gran Turismo 5 (Official Thread)

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
RCA

alms24sebring wrote:One of my biggest pet peeves is when people spell brakes as breaks :argh
Maybe he is expressing a value that describes when the front and rear end of his Formula Gran Turismo fail to properly work?

It could be how many laps it takes until some one using a controller instead of a wheel can last before destroying their front and rear ends with such an aggressive setup. One thing I noticed about people's "setups" is that they are way to aggressive for normal controller users. Sure it's the fastest setup but it's uncontrollable unless you're rocking the wheel. :taz:

/rant

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

really the only thing I changed was the trans top speed and brakes to 6/6 and maybe downforce on the F1, thats it. You dont have to go crazy. Just give it a try and DONT RUSH IT. There's like 30 laps to get ahead and you can always take corners slightly faster than they can that add up quick. Also look for shortcuts, there's a few big ones.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

I briefly tried the Aspec F1 again last night. Kept spinning out again.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

alms24sebring wrote: Also look for shortcuts, there's a few big ones.
Two main ones I can think of...1st the nurburgring. You can save a good 10-15 seconds per lap with this one! Just cut through the grass on the chicane...aim for just to the left of the white barrier. The car should be pretty stable, but if you wipe out, you'll still save a few seconds! Next is the second chicane on Monza. You can save about 5 seconds if done right. Cut the grass right after the tunnel and end up just left of the barrier. Just be careful not to go in the sand or hit the barrier. You also make up some time by late-braking on the first chicane...again, just don't hit it!

With those 2 shortcuts, you should be able to get 1st easily. For me, Fuji and Indi were easy 1st place races. Just use medium tires and the setup listed on the link I gave you. You make up time on the corners. There's one in the middle of Fuji that if you brake early, you can full throttle through the corner and really make up some time. You should be 1st with a slight gap the whole race. For Indi, you should have 1st on the first or second lap. Just take it easy in the S bend and hammer the throttle on the last corner before you hit the main track. You make up the time on the first corner after the straight-away...just don't hit the red barrier!

I HATE the Azur track, so I just skipped it, but I have placed 5-6 before. Next is the Nurburgring GP Circuit and Monza. Both are easy wins with the shortcuts. Last is the Suzuka GP Circuit. If you get rain, use soft tires and you'll blow away everyone...if sunny, good luck...I almost got lapped...it was horrible.

And one final note...I used all aids on the car. It will help you keep your tires fresh by not spinning. Set traction control and ABS to 5/5 and turn on the others (I used mild for the steering one). And make sure to do the engine/chassis rebuilds before the race...

Oh, and make sure you have like 3 hours to play...each race is 30-45 min :eek:

alms24sebring

o yeah I also had aids on for the F1, forgot about that. Dont be afraid to use them Biggie its a huge difference and alot easier.

On the Nurb. short track, you can cut the last chicane before the very last turn, before the start/finish. Going up the hill to it, go slightly go left into the grass but aim slightly to the right over the chicane, only tapping the brakes. It might take practice but It cuts 15 seconds atleast and you will lap people up to the top 5

biggie

I may try again if I get a chance this weekend. But have to get my Vert's header on and change oil/rear brake pads on G. So busy weeekend.

joe603

Wow, this car is light in the rear...it's going to be an interesting race.

Will it matter that I don't have the top gear track unlocked?

RCA

joe603 wrote:Will it matter that I don't have the top gear track unlocked?
Well if you want to practice the only way would be to create an online lobby and go from there. Other then that, no issues.

joe603

Cool, I'll try that today...need to at least do trans settings.

biggie

Day time set yet? And can you buy the Fireblade or do you have to win it? (if so I'm probably screwed).

RCA

biggie wrote:Day time set yet? And can you buy the Fireblade or do you have to win it? (if so I'm probably screwed).
Sunday March 26, 2011 @ 3pm

Also you can buy the Fireblade but you have to be lucky to see it in the used lot.
Last edited by RCA on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe603

Finally unlocked it :)

jcide
Car: '10 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
looking for a 300zx

biggie wrote:Day time set yet? And can you buy the Fireblade or do you have to win it? (if so I'm probably screwed).
Sent you a fully restored Fireblade.

RCA

jcide wrote:Sent you a fully restored Fireblade.
AHAHA so now he has two...

jcide
Car: '10 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
looking for a 300zx

He could sell one for a whopping 18,000 creds.

RCA

You can't sell cars that you are gifted.

biggie

Yeah, I've got an extra if anyone needs one, just message me on PS3, hope to be on around 2:30.

alms24sebring

ganna try and make it.

RCA

Thank's to alms24sebring, biggie and Joe603 for coming out yesterday. Definitely some exciting racing took place and it went down to the wire. Also Biggie, when you left after the 3rd race, you affectively gave alms the win. If you stayed, there would of been a shot of him getting last and me getting first and there would of been a tie. Awesome times were had (except Joe, he couldn't stay on the road :chuckle: ).

Any way, thanks again and I will be posting this weeks event later today.

joe603

That car just sucked! Maybe with racing soft's it would have been more stable, but with sport's it was just way to twitchy for my tastes. I just need to start playing the regular game without the aids. Going back and fourth between using them isn't working. One screw up and the entire race is usually over.

oh well...I may have to go back to Rock band :gapteeth:

RCA

This weeks race...

NICO's 80 Mile Cup
It's 25 laps of the same track so no excuses about not practicing.
Also this time around a pit strategy is in order.
  • Do you go balls to the wall and pit twice during the race?
    Do you pace your self for 1 pit strategy?
Can't wait... ;)

joe603

I should be able to make it. Should be fun!

alms24sebring

RCA wrote: Also Biggie, when you left after the 3rd race, you affectively gave alms the win.
Yep, thanks for that :cool:

I agree Joe, although driving w/o aids is harder, I think it makes it more fun and worth the effort. It also sets you up for the Nico races. I never drive with aids now. The only time I needed aids is if I'm driving a F1 or X1, only because they are uncontrollable especially at lower speeds, but that's it!

RCA how do you set up the controller for in game driving again? Also, good choice for the next race, should be fun.

RCA

All right gentalmen I did my preliminary run of 25 laps with my car and I have to say, It was pretty good.

Some stats / notes:
  • 25 Laps Completion time - 50:20
    Average lap through out the race - 2:02.22
    Average clean laps on good tires - 1:58.5
    Best Lap - 1:56.690

VERY difficult to finish the race without pitting while having a shot at winning.
    By lap 17 I had lost 5 secs on my usual 1:58 on good tires and it became much more difficult to control the rear.
    Remember guys, a balanced brake bias will really help out. Having 80% grip on the front tires won't help if you can't accelerate out of turns because your rears have 55% left.
Why am I giving you this info?
  • Because I want this one to be as competitive as possible. During past NICO races people were behind ~30secs from the leader and it was only a 6 lapper. So in preperation for a 25lapper, I want you guys to be ready.
Ian, thatguy and PNF, will you guys be joining us?
alms24sebring wrote:RCA how do you set up the controller for in game driving again?
Go to...
  • Your GT life
    Then click the gear shaped icon near the bottom left corner
    Click options
    Under "Hardware" go to button assignments for player 1
    and start mapping
What you need to pay atterntion to is the D-Pad and the "X" button maps. You can set it up how ever you like, but you need to make sure you have assignments for "(RA function) Show menu", "(RA function) Select + & -" and "(RA function) Adjust + & -".

The "(RA function) Show menu" initiates the menus, the Select function allows you to scroll up and down while the adjust function allows you to scroll left and right.

Hope that helps. Also I suggest every one use the "(RA fuction)" stuff.

alms24sebring

Oh yeah I forgot about the DPad. Like I said I have to use the DPad to steer as I just cant use the joystick for racing games. I will play around with it tho.

RCA

It's tough to map them other wise. You can't map them to the joysticks, so your options are limited. I changed my driving style in order to have the RA Function setup. It was well worth it.

I wish you could control aero though.

biggie

Seems you have to reduce hp a ton on some of the race cars to make 650PP. Haven't had a chance to test drive yet.

biggie

Practiced a few laps, high 1:58 was best I could do, need more tweaking.

joe603

I'm right in there as well with a 1:58.961 with some room for improvement. Only tested 2 cars last night...still need to go through my others. I think I have 10 total cars that fit the criteria.

RCA

biggie wrote:Practiced a few laps, high 1:58 was best I could do, need more tweaking.
joe603 wrote:I'm right in there as well with a 1:58.961 with some room for improvement.
Yeah that is pretty much where I'm at. Of the 12 or so clean laps with good tires I was able to get 1:58 most of the time with maybe 2-3 laps with a 1:57.

Not sure how I was able to pull off a 1:56.690. Haven't been able to do it since. So far I have about 60 laps with the car I'm using.
You guys down for a practice on Saturday?

Return to “Gaming”