GPS Map Updates

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
apolodor
Car: Rogue 2011

Does anybody know where can I find Europe 2012-2013 maps for Rogue 2011? Do I have to buy a new card?

Thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

apolodor wrote:Does anybody know where can I find Europe 2012-2013 maps for Rogue 2011? Do I have to buy a new card?

Thanks
ebay UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-CONNEC ... 3f274e01b6
Price: £44.99

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Vulnavia: Anyone know when Nissan will release version 25920 zw00F ?

Nissan Master certified Tech:
They don't list it by the part #. The current version is version 4. You Should be able to check your version in the settings menu.

Vulnavia: Yes if you go to the Nissan website, they list it by version number. It does not appear that way anywhere else. Nor can it be pulled up through the settings menu. Every other seller references the card by the part code, and none use version number.

So, let me rephrase my original question... When is the new map update due to be released?

Nissan Master certified Tech: Most of the updates seem to have come out in late September and early October. The nav screen will usually display a message on the screen when the update becomes available.
As far as I can remember, I've never seen a notice on my screen about an available update. In the past, I've received both an email and snail mail notice of the update. Kind of pointless to notify me through the headunit about an update, since it can't be downloaded.

ras_oscar

I just got a message a few weeks ago about a map update available. I believe its keyed to the date I bought the car.

To the OP: next time the salesman offers you something like free map updates, be sure they write it explicitly on the purchase order or show you the language in the owners manual. Samesmen can and do add things to sweeten the deal, but if its not written down they didn't say it. Your final chance to verify is when they turn you over to the sales manager to decline the rustproofing package. Go over the sales agreement and dont sign until its there in black and white.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Rogue One wrote:
Vulnavia: Anyone know when Nissan will release version 25920 zw00F ?

Nissan Master certified Tech:
They don't list it by the part #. The current version is version 4. You Should be able to check your version in the settings menu.

Vulnavia: Yes if you go to the Nissan website, they list it by version number. It does not appear that way anywhere else. Nor can it be pulled up through the settings menu. Every other seller references the card by the part code, and none use version number.

So, let me rephrase my original question... When is the new map update due to be released?

Nissan Master certified Tech: Most of the updates seem to have come out in late September and early October. The nav screen will usually display a message on the screen when the update becomes available.
As far as I can remember, I've never seen a notice on my screen about an available update. In the past, I've received both an email and snail mail notice of the update. Kind of pointless to notify me through the headunit about an update, since it can't be downloaded.
So, started up my ride and heard a funny beep. A glance at my radio shows a message saying there's a map update available, and I should call my local dealership. Funny, I don't remember getting this message with my last Rogue.

It gave me the option to remind in one hour, or remind later. I chose the latter, but how often is it going to nag me to update?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

So, to answer my own question, the nag screen changed today offering to remind me in 1 year.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

So apparently selecting remind me in one year on my nav unit doesn't preclude Nissan from sending me snail mail reminders. Got a reminder in the mail yesterday that I'm due to upgrade to the 2014 map. And it can be mine for the discount price of $149. :lolling:

Think I'll pass on their generous offer.

ricbrk
Car: 2011 Nissan Frontier SV
Crew cab
4.0 V6 Automatic 4wd

Nissan navigation is terrible. It got us lost on our vacation to the New England states the second week we owned the car. In November we went to Niagara Falls Canada, and going through Buffalo NY it said to turn next turn. We did, and 3/4 down the ramp it says 1000 feet ? I was waiting for it to correct and get us back on route, but it just showed the streets and said nothing. We just finally pulled into a gas station and got directions. Once back on the expressway, it found itself ? In Canada, it did well until we wanted to go to a restaurant. We got on the QEW and it said turn left which we did, then it said 100 feet. We were able to turn around and there was another left turn further up the road. Once we knew there was a problem, we started setting it locally and it would say a turn in 500 feet or whatever, and the actual turn would be 30 feet. I just had the second oil change and complained to the Service manager about it. He took a card out of it and said he'd check it for updates. It had the most recent update. He then went on to tell me his Frontier and his girlfriends Juke are the same way. He blamed it on the unit manufacturer, but assured me we would get used to it. I said get used to what, getting lost. We have owned Garmin's for years, so I put the suction cup mount on the window. I'll just use that.

rockywoj
Car: Nissan Juke / Murano / Infinity G37x coupe

a post I made in the Juke Forum on this same sort of topic ...
rockywoj wrote:Our navigation system on our 2012 Juke tells us that we need to see the dealer for a maps update. Went to the dealer and they told me I have to go online to nissannavigation.com . Went there and they want $149 for an update SD card to be sent out. I think this is ridiculously and unjustifiably expensive. Below is copy of email letter I sent to them expressing such.

I think that if others out there share the outrage that a simple software update that ought to be user downloadable onto the existing SD card should be free with the excessively high price of the navigation option to begin with, or if not free, certainly more of a token $5 to $10 charge, then I think there is much value in as many loyal Nissan customers as possible contacting Nissan to express their displeasure with what should be effectively free, given the tens of thousands of dollars that the navigation equipped car costs to begin with.

Anyway, here's copy of the letter I sent ....

Hello.

Our 2012 Juke is the top of the line model with navigation and the nav, which we don’t often use, is telling us that we need to update.

Considering the overly excessive price of the navigation system to begin with, I cannot fathom having to pay $149.00 for an update SD card. When paying such an excessive price for navigation, such updates ought to be free and user downloadable onto the existing SD card.

$149 for a maps update is gross profiteering! Come on Nissan, get with the times of open source and rewarding those customers that have already dropped about thirty grand on one of your navigation enabled vehicles. $149 for what should be effectively a free internet download onto and existing SD card is very angering and judging by the outrage expressed on multiple nissan vehicle user forums, I am not the only one that feels this way.

Note, I do not care that other car manufacturers may participate in the same deplorable attempt to nickel and dime loyal customers (my wife and I both own Nissan, my son has an Infinity, and these vehicle make up our 8th, 9th, and 10th Nissan vehicle – you don’t get a more loyal Nissan customer than me).

Nissan should be setting the bar higher in terms of customer service in this modern age of software / system upgrades.

Needless to say, I cannot imagine us EVER paying $149 for an SD disk update that should be free, or in the very least, no more than $10.00 including shipping. Better yet, though, like I said, I should be able to take my existing SD card, put it into my computer and then simply download the update onto it from nissannavigation. Doing this should be free given the thousands we have already spent as a new car, registered Nissan car owner.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION
FOR YOUR NISSAN ROGUE

UPDATE YOUR NAVIGATION SYSTEM MAP

One week only: $99* map update and free shipping**

Remember that your navigation system map requires updating, like other important maintenance aspects of your vehicle.

Added or updated in the last year:

• More than 1 million miles of roads

• More than 250,000 points of interest, such as hotels and ATMs

• More than 7.5 million other data points, including speed limits, street names and addresses

It's easy to update your NISSAN ROGUE navigation system map. Simply visit the official Nissan map update center.

ONE WEEK ONLY: Order your 2014 map update by March 31st for this exclusive offer.

Save $50 off the regular price of $149 and get free shipping. Or call 1-866-562-8837 Act now. This limited-time offer ends March 31, 2014.

mediaman
Car: 2014 Rogue AWD SL w/Premium Pkg

The nav manual mentions an SD card being supplied with the system. I am not by the car now, but I don't recall seeing one in the slot. Was it supposed to be provided by the dealer?

Ref: http://nissanrogue.org/download/2014-Ni ... manual.pdf

I have the Type B console configuration.

In general, is the SD card the only method to load future map updates?
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

From the previous generation Rogue you had to purchase the map updates and were provided via SD cards. I'm sure it's the same for the 2014.

mediaman

Is there an easy way to tell what map version/ year I currently have?

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

2009 Rogue's didn't come with a Nav system. Someone else may chime in and tell you.

Do a search on here, I know it's been posted before.

ras_oscar

I have a 2012 that I purchased with the satnav system. It came with an SD card containing maps. Updates with new map data are at an added cost. I have not so far seen the need to update the map files. It depends on how much the roads you usually drive are changing from year to year.

DTASFAB

Even if the roads change, you should have a rough idea of what roads you're going to have to get to at some point in your trip. An entire bridge was replaced in New York a couple years ago, and all the connecting ramps leading up to it were completely reconfigured. Still, I know I'm going to take the FDR north to the third avenue bridge to interstate 87. Even if the navigation goes bonkers while I'm on the new ramps because it doesn't know what road it's on, I can still follow the road signs to I-87. Once there, the system picks up and directs me to my destination. The only people who really have to update their maps are the ones who drive into ponds and lakes like Michael Scott on the Office.

mediaman

According to http://navigationupdates.com/nissan/ all 2014 models are up to date. I assume that means they have "Nissan Navigation System 2014 Year SD Card v.5.0", as that what the 2013 model shows as an available upgrade.

FAQ # 8 says : The map version for HDD updates is available from the navigation system unit menu. The version number is formatted as xx.xx map. Assume its the same for SD card updates and thought it would be under Apps/Settings but could not find it and its not mentioned in the manual.

Non-issue for now, but after a future update, it would be nice to be able to confirm if an upgrade was successful

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

1) If the map SD card is not in the slot, an error message displays on the screen indicating that no map card was found. Consequently, the system will not display navigation.

2) Just because the area you live in may not have new roads, doesn't mean you won't be prompted for a map update. The map system is for ALL of North America (the continental United States and Canada).

sideshot
Car: silver 2014 nissan rogue sl awd

their is a new nav update would you get it or skip a year or 2 Nissan LCN2 Kai Navigation System 2015 Year SD Card v6.0
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

yi_dennis
Car: 2014 Rogue SL

I got the same message. I think Nissan should give it to us for free as I only had my Rogue for 7 months. It should be part of the 1 year adjustment period. Has anyone asked?

ras_oscar

I have a 2012 rogue and am working with the nav maps that came with it. It depends on how much the roads YOU USUALLY TRAVEL have changed. Do you use the satnav regularly? Does it allow you to get where you want to go? If yes, what are you buying? if no, I''d consider an update.

sideshot

I have had mine less than a month

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

If you've got Nissan Connect, there's really no pressing need to update your map. The Nissan app will keep things like POI's current, whereas the map update would only be worthwhile if there were significant road changes made since your original map was released.

tsumeone
Car: n/a

FYI the points of interest are still included with the maps itself. Nissan Connect is only helpful if you are in a good data area to use the google search app.

Also FYI, you are supposed to get free shipping on Nissan maps, but for some reason it is wanting to charge for shipping on this map update. http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/page ... ap-updates

ohboy710
Car: Nissan Sentra 2014

I just bought a Sentra with Navigation and I asked the salesman how the maps were updated and he told me automatically from the satellite for free. What a lie (as I figured it was at the time). Lucky for me I will be getting a survey on how well my experience was so I can make sure to put that in there.

sideshot

I would like to know how thy think there going to charge anyone for Nissan connect after the 3 years all those apps are free and you have to use your data connection on your phone dose anyone know if the system is capable of connecting to the web on its own

AMIT SHAH
Car: Nissan Row

I am also very disappointed with Map update charges as dealer did not inform me at the time of purchase of vehicle. It is $175/year cost to have up to date Map. It is significant charges and i think Nissan must train their dealer to make customer aware or take their consent/agreement before the fact. If I would have known this before, I could have changed the buying preference of model and/or manufacturer.

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I think all car manufacturers are like this with built-in navigation systems. The only way to truly get updated maps for free is to own your own GPS with lifetime maps.

[email protected]

I too was disappointed about the need for an update. I wrote a letter to Nissan Customer Care and complained that I purchased the vehicle with accessories that I expected to work. I do not need to purchase updates to keep my windows, door locks or sunroof working and didn't feel it was fair to make me purchase updates to keep my maps working, especially when I bought a Garmin GPS that had lifetime maps. Nissan offered me reimbursement for a one time update for which I was happy. I'm still not understanding a marketing strategy where other GPS products maintain lifetime updates and Nissan cannot.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

[email protected] wrote:I'm still not understanding a marketing strategy where other GPS products maintain lifetime updates and Nissan cannot.
That's an easy one to answer. It's because they're an automobile manufacturer, not a GPS company. You may not know this, but once upon a time accessories like radios were not included with your car. They were an add-on that you had to pay extra for. Ditto for turn signals (I know that sounds crazy, but it's true). Given the poor reviews the GPS units in the Rogue gets, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over the lack of updates. Most people use their phone or a stand alone unit, which have proven to be far more accurate.

On a side note: using your email address as your user name is NOT recommended. There's lots of spambot web crawlers that search the internet looking for addresses to send junk to. I'd suggest just using the part in front of the AT sign.

Return to “Rogue Forum”