CHATROOM: Dash Camera

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Qashqai

If ImStricken loved my setup, I thought I should share it with other fellow Rogue owners :chuckle:

Here is the story of my camera setup for my frozen treats wagon :chuckle: :

I recently purchased a dash camera. The only way to attach it to the car is by using its suction cup. This camera should be hardwired to the car, so that when you turn the engine on it turns on and starts recording and when you turn the engine off (kill the power) it stops recording and after 15 seconds turns off. So the first problem was to hard wire the unit and HIDE the cables. I also have a TOMTOM GPS. It is good to hardwire it as well, so I do not have to worry about charging it. Most of all I don't want to remove and install the suction cups, becasue they leave stain on the windshield (I lick them before attaching for better adherence :rolleyes: )

Here is my solution:

1. I drilled two holes on the semi circular radio piece (I don't have a speaker underneath) That piece is $30, I can easily buy a new one once I decided to sell the car and remove my stuff.
2. Hardwired a double output 12 Volt socket from the cigarette lighter and pass the cables behind the stereo
3. I install two rubber grommets through the holes that I drilled on the semi circular piece
4. I purchase a plastic disk with a 3M adhesive pad underneath for the GPS

that is it. I am happy. I also cut a piece from a solar shade just to cover the GPS and Camera during summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60569238@N03/7706884332/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60569238@N03/7706883662/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60569238@N03/7706882218/

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

looks great, really a pro setup. certainly looking into it. any more info on the camera?

Qashqai

Thank you ImStricken.

I purchased the camera from ebay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-150-degree ... 256b406c83)

I was looking for a dash camera with a screen, so I can adjust the camera easily and in case something happens, I can show the footage to the police officers at the scene.

There are expensive, cheep and in between cameras in the market. Expensive ones generally have built in GPS and acelerometers. I guess these are designed for commercial fleet trucks. Some cheap ones have no screen and lens is not wide and no night vision.

My camera is in between. It records every 15 minutes, depending on the size of the memory card (micro SD). It automatically erases the oldest recording once there is no more space. you can do some additional adjustments like the quality of the image, white balance etc.

so far I am happy with my camera. If you want to spend money and buy a good one, I advice Black vue. http://www.blackvue.co.uk/

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:It records every 15 minutes
can you explain that a little more? im really interested in this camera

Qashqai

The camera is continously recording, but you can divide the recordings into more manageable 5, 10 or 15 minute pieces. I set my camera to record 15 minute parts, so after the 15 minute recording is done, it continues to record to a new 15 minute file (some cameras have three second delay in between these recordings. You basically can't have a footage of that three seconds).

It has a micro SD slot. You must insert a memory card, it has no built in memory. The maximum capacity is 32 GB . I have 16 GB Class IV card and at high definition, it canrecord upto four hours.

It also records the sounds inside the car. Although it may be bad for privacy, you can say "I honk the car to warn the driver". I try not to talk about my mother in law when I am driving and the thingie is recoding :)

Although it has a night vision property (the IR LEDs around the lens), it relies on the lights of your car. It is recording as good as your lights light output.

One thing I noticed is, since it has a wide angle lens, on the footage, it looks like you are speeding. Maybe you remember, a while ago I had an accident in the parking lot and everyone who watched that movie said I was speeding in the parking lot. In reality I was drivingat 20 30 km/h. Some cameras have built in GPS and they show your speed as a watermark on the recording, just like the date and time. It is a double ended sword though...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i see, lots of into on these things

what do you think about this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160835979088?ss ... 1424.l2649

Qashqai

Wow that looks nice. I was looking for a small and stylish camera, that is a new model for sure...

It has HDMI output, which is good, but I personally preffer to keep the camera inside the car and remove the memory card and upload it to my PC. Everytime you remove the camera, the next morning you have to adjust it.

My camera has two parts. You can see on the pictures I posted. The screen and camera are seperate. You can adjust the screen to. a good viewing angle, without glare or reflection, while adjusting the camera lens to capture the optimum angle. The camera you mention is single piece, I a, happy with two piece design and I used this feature a lot while adjusting. You don't want the camera to obscure your view while driving, but on the other hand you want to record from drivers point of view. So by keeping the camera low, you can capture the view without obstruction. since my camera is two piece, I can rotate the screen up to see the recording.

Another thing I noticed is, you have to either remove from the windshield by releasing the suction cup or unscrewing the screw. Mine has a plastic bracket, so that you can easily slide and lock. During summer it becomes loose, but I put some felt tape and not it is firm.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i would just pop the card out or bring my laptop into the car. this has a side piece that opens up where the card is i believe, unless im wrong.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

finally got the camera today. sQashi love it!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INTRODUCING ME TO THESE :)

ill update the installed pics soon

Qashqai

Looks better and smaller than mine! I hope you will always record beautiful scenes and accident-free journeys.

THANK YOU for all your support and help for all of my technical questions and concerns.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

my pleasure. its members like you that make forums great and worthwhile :)

MuranoDriver
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano SL

These are pretty damn cool, especially for the price! Thanks for posting the info guys!

I may just look into the one you go, ImStricken.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i did a test video today driving to work. check it out.
i think the microphone is broken on mine, but i dont care. didnt want it anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2osc0LaacY[/youtube]

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Cool.. The next time I can't sleep, I'll watch this! :lolling:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Cool.. The next time I can't sleep, I'll watch this! :lolling:
oh stop! lol its not THAT boring ;)
its good info for those looking for quality testing. some camera's are such poor quality, its not even funny.

MuranoDriver

Definately looks like nice quality. Where do you have yours mounted?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

MuranoDriver wrote:Definately looks like nice quality. Where do you have yours mounted?

i still didnt rout the wire, because im testing where i want it. but that video was filed exactly like this.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

UPDATE:

this is my final install. i simply ran the wire along my head liner and down my left A-pillar, under the dash and into the pocket behind the A/C controls where i have multiple cigarette lighter outlets wired up. quick/simple/easy.

MuranoDriver

ImStricken wrote:i see, lots of into on these things

what do you think about this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160835979088?ss ... 1424.l2649
Thanks again for the link ImStricken! Just got one on order. :)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

thank Qashqai!
he's the man of the hour, for introducing us to these ;)

MuranoDriver

My bad! Thank you Qashqai!! Much appreciated! :)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

These cams are also good for preventing insurance scams. :bowrofl:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOV8y19p ... re=related[/youtube]

sprocket

@ImStricken, do you have a video sample you could post up which is at city speeds? I want to see how legible the license plates are of the vehicle in front?

Also, do you have night video samples for both city and highway?

I've been wanting to get one of these for a year now but always hesitate because I'm not sure how the video quality is in specific situations where you might want to be able to make out details (e.g. license plate #, etc)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

sprocket wrote:@ImStricken, do you have a video sample you could post up which is at city speeds? I want to see how legible the license plates are of the vehicle in front?

I've been wanting to get one of these for a year now but always hesitate because I'm not sure how the video quality is in specific situations where you might want to be able to make out details (e.g. license plate #, etc)
ill see what i can do for you

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:
sprocket wrote:@ImStricken, do you have a video sample you could post up which is at city speeds? I want to see how legible the license plates are of the vehicle in front?

ill see what i can do for you
Oh good. Then I won't have to refill my Ambien CR prescription! KIDDING! LOL!

I would suppose the reason for wanting "to see how legible the license plates are of the vehicle in front" would be for insurances purposes, in case your involved in an accident.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

a license plate wont make or break an insurance claim. the only proof an insurance company/police officer would need is that another vehicle was involved, and the cause of the accident. (a license plate is only for law enforcement to pursue if it was as case of hit & run.)

sprocket

Haha, well, I'm curious to see how well this budget camera is. It's about 1/5th the price of a Blackvue but looks to be well worth it ... I'm considering getting one too.

Plus, looking at lower speed video at day vs night will show how well the CMOS does in low light. I heard that performance in low-light is usually marginal with a lot of the cheaper cameras so if it's basically useless at night, it might make more sense to pony up for a more expensive one ... it's just a lot of ponies :(

And hey, being able to see the license plate would be sweet justice for any hit and run case!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

sprocket wrote:@ImStricken, do you have a video sample you could post up which is at city speeds?
(ignore the rain droplets)
here is screen shot thats unedited from city speed driving

sprocket

ImStricken wrote:
sprocket wrote:@ImStricken, do you have a video sample you could post up which is at city speeds?
(ignore the rain droplets)
here is screen shot thats unedited from city speed driving
That looks pretty good, thank you for posting it.

Any chance you could (at your convenience) post a night time screenshot too to see how the sensor does in low light?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

sprocket wrote:Any chance you could (at your convenience) post a night time screenshot too to see how the sensor does in low light?
they are worthless lol. they only pick up lights moving. in a bright parking lot you have better odds though.

Return to “Rogue Forum”