Good Metal...

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
ScrapMetal
Car: 1999 Chevrolet S10, 1991 Ford Bronco 5.0

Good Metal...

Misery Signals- Labyrinthian

It's the third track off their new album Controller. This song is perfect example of what this album sounds like. It's melodic metalcore mixed with groove metal. The guitarists do a great job of playing off each other and the drummer is sick, maybe not as technical as some other drummers but he sounds great nonetheless. The lead singer focuses on growling instead of screaming, there's even some songs where he sings, dude sounds great. Anyone who's into melodic metal should check this album out.

My Bitter End- Becoming Misfortune

It's the second track off their latest album The renovation. IMO it's the best song on the album, even though most of the songs sound similar. This is more technical metal than anything else. The timing changes all the time and the drummer does a fantastic job. The guitarist aren't trying to keep up with the drummer, but they do a great job with the melody. This singer does scream a lot, if it's not your thing, your not gonna like them. He does growl a lot too and on occasion throws in some death metal bree bree sounds. He doesn't over do it though. Great band.

Born of Osiris- Abstract Art

Another deathcore band, these guys are sick. I would compare them to Meshuggah without the gayness. They are a very technical band, not only the drumming but the guitar work too. From time to time they change it up and throw some groove metal in their also, it all sounds very good. The lead singer growls almost all of the time, so that's a plus for people who don't like screaming.

Twelve Tribes-Venus Complex

These guys are pretty unknown. They are a straight up metalcore band, not that it's a bad thing. The lead singer screams/growls and when the breakdown comes he sings and sounds very good. The guitar work is very simple and so is the drumming but it sounds very good. They are a very melodic band, I would recommend them even if you're not into metal.

I Killed the Prom Queen- My Best Wishes

This is a metalcore band from Australia. This is the last track off their album. When Goodbye Means Forever. They play really catchy stuff, that some people hate. Overall the guitar work and the drumming is fairly simple. The lead singer is a mix of deep growls and annoying talk. The breakdowns feature emo style singing. If your not used to that then your probably not going to like this band. Overall this band is a great band. I think they broke up, I may be wrong.

Parkway Drive- Carrion

This is another metalcore band from Australia. They sound nothing like IKTPQ though. These guys have a slower tempo and are more bass heavy, their lead singer focuses on growling instead of screaming. They tend to sound more like groove metal than anything else. This track is off their latest album, Horizons. Their first album Killing with a Smile was great, almost every song was good. I would recommend these guys.

In Flames- Man Made God

This is a melodic death metal band from Sweden. It was hard for me to choose one song, these guys are probably the most popular death metal band. All their albums up until Reroute to Remain are great, after that they changed their style a little. It's like old Metallica vs New, some people call them sell outs. I think they changed their style to reach a wider audience and they still sound good. This band is legendary, definitely check them out.

Norther- A Fallen Star

Another melodic death metal band, this time from Finland. This is my favorite song by them. It is the sixth track off the album Death Unlimited, probably their best album. They are very accurate in their playing, they sound very similar to COB. If your into bands like In Flames and COB, definitely gives these guys a listen if you haven't already.

The Black Dahlia Murder- Statutory Ape

Named after the unsolved murder, this is a metalcore band that have a death metal sound to them. The singer goes from deep death metal growls to high pitch screams out of no where, he is very talented. The band has awesome guitarists and a killer drummer who kills the double pedals and does the sickest blast beats. If your into bands like Job For a Cowboy, definitely check these guys out.

Diecast- Nothing I could Say

This isn't the type of metal I would regularly listen to, but these guys sound great. They have a very radio friendly sound, I would compare them to Daughtry or Three Days Grace but without the gayness. If your into radio bands definitely check these guys out. On second thought, even if your not into radio bands check these guys out, you might like them, I do.

Heaven Shall Burn- Counterweight

This is a another melodic metalcore band, this time from Germany. The only difference is these guys play very hard. The lead singer screams almost all the time and the drummer is just constantly double pedaling. The guitarists play simple stuff but are very melodic. I would say they sound kind of like old Arch Enemy. If your into fast paced, loud, in your face metal, you'll like them. They sound great.

Arch Enemy- Dead Eyes See No Future

Speaking of Arch Enemy, I had to put them on the list. This is a death metal band from Sweden. These guys have been around for a while now and they just keep putting out good music. This is one of the few bands with a female lead singer that doesn't suck(Nightwish sounds good too, but totally different style). She growls and sounds better than a lot of bands with male singers. This band is another epic band, definitely check them out.

War of Ages- Generational Curse

This is a metalcore band from Pennsylvania. I've been a fan of these guys for a while now, these guys are great. If you like metalcore check them out, if you hate it, well you're screwed. They are very melodic and they just sound great. This is 8th track off their latest album Arise and Conquer. The lead singer doesn't growl, he screams a lot. So if you don't like that, well.... The rest of the band are very talented, the guitarists let out super catchy melodies and great riffs, and the drummer just kills the double pedals. All in all great band to just listen to.

All Shall Perish- Eradication

Another deathcore band, these guys are sick. The lead singer is one of my favorite, his screams, deep growls and brees are insane. This is the first song off their second album The Price of Existence. The whole album is bad a55. Great band, if you're into Job for a Cowboy or The Black Dahlia Murder.

Gardenian- Deserted

Another death metal band from Sweden, these guys play very similar to In Flames. So if you like In Flames/Gothenburb death metal, you'll like these guys. The only difference is, the clean vocals are sung very...umm...Power metal like. I hate Power Metal with a vengeance, but these guys play bad a55. It took me a little while to get used to the power metal singer, but I like them, they're great, Tony the Tiger style.

Insomnium- Drawn to Black

Another band from Finland(Scandinavia has the best metal), if you like Gothenburg metal, you're going to love these guys. These guys play so well, everything sounds so good, very good production. They are a very dark band, they're constantly changing between beautiful melodies, the guitarists do a great job. The lead singer growls 99% of the time, so if you're not into high pitched screaming, you'll like these guys. Give these guys a try, IMO they're what In Flames would have been, if they wouldn't have changed their style.

Mygrain- Veil of Sun

Another melodic death metal band from Finland( I'm telling you, 99% of the people in Scandinavia are in a metal band). These guys are very bass heavy, the singer goes in and out of deep tough guy growls and screams. The guitars are mostly chugga chugga riffs, but they have their melodies from time to time. They do a great job of putting the synthesizer in the right places. IMO, the bands sounds like Soilwork, which sounds kind of like In Flames. If you like Scandinavian metal, check them out, you'll like em.

Epica- Mother of Light

This is a symphonic metal band from Holland. There is no screaming going on in their songs, the lead singer was classically trained and has a great voice. I love how the synthesizer sounds in their music. This is one of the few bands that actually uses a full orchestra in most of their songs. These guys sound awesome.

Nightwish- Nemo

This band is epic, they've been around for more than a decade, and they still sound great. They're a symphonic metal band from Finland, and they have a very nice symphonic orchestral sound to them. They've had two lead singers, even though I prefer Tarja Turunen's voice over Anette Olzon, they still sound great.

Time for some popular bands you may have heard of...

Killswitch Engage- The Arms of Sorrow

This was the band that got me into metal. I was always into radio rock and stuff like that, but these guys opened the doors for me. This is the band that made me want to become a drummer. They have had two great lead singers, and four great albums. They have changed their sound a little with the new singer, they used to be a lot harder. But I love how the vocals of the new guy, he has a very nice range. I absolutely love this band.

As I lay Dying- 94 Hours

I absolutely use to love this band. When I first picked up their second album(Frail Words Collapse), I couldn't stop listening to it. Since then, they have become a very famous band and have change their style a lot. Their newer albums, which aren't bad, seem very overproduced. I don't really like them that much anymore, but their second album is still kick ***.

All That Remains- Chiron

Another band that has dramatically changed their style. I'm not going to say for the better, but they still sound great. Their first and second album were more death metal than their newer albums. They sound like a completely different band in their newer albums. Doesn't take away from the fact that they still sound great, because they are great musicians. The drummer is insane, but what really stands out about this band are the guitarists. I say they still sound better in their older albums, with longer solos and more of them. In the newer albums, they don't show off their talents as much. Still great band though.

August Burns Red- Composure

These guys just sound sick, one of the few bands that I can say their second album sounds better than their first. They have changed lead singers, but to tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference. Dudes sound the same to me. What stands out about this band is the time changes and the drummer. The guy is one of my favorites, I love how he inputs the china cymbal just in the right places, and he uses it a lot. I hope these guys don't change their style with their next album, they have a pretty good thing going.

It Dies Today- A Threnody For Modern Romances

This is a band that has changed their image too many times. They are trying so hard, first they were normal kids, then gothic kids, and now cool college drinking kids. They are a bad *** band though, once you get passed their stupid trendy image. They have a new lead singer, I like the old one better(the one in the video), but the new guys still good. This is another band with a bad *** drummer.

Lamb Of God- Now You've Got Something To Die For

I love this band except for their lead singer. I can't stand this guy, just my 2 cents. The rest of the band is bad *** though, especially the drummer, dude is one of my favorites. His brother is the guitarist, and together this band sounds bad *** because of them. I would be happier if the band was just them two. Still great groove metal band, they sometimes remind me of Pantera, not the singer though, can't stand him.

keep adding to this list, I know there's some metal heads on NICO. This is a good way to try out some bands we may not have heard of. I'll be adding to this list in the future
Modified by Metaru_Gia at 1:51 PM 12/23/2008

rsdans240sx
Car: 1990 240sx KA

I have never heard of any of these bands...I listen to slipknot, shai hulud, underoath, norma jean, demon hunter, becoming the archetype and others...

ScrapMetal

Misery Signals sounds kind of like Shai Hulud, I love that band also.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

I've been learning the title track from Born of Osiris's CD for a while now, I love The New Reign. Check out their labelmates Veil of Maya if you havent heard them, also very good. They have a very similar sound.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Do I fail for really, actually liking Dethklok? I bought the album and listen to it almost daily.

xekushnr

Nah, its actually not completely horrible. Brendon Small is pretty good at what he does. It does a good job poking fun at the "cookie monster" vocals and lyrics from the more ridiculous bands.

xekushnr

Alright, I'll get a little more involved.

After the Burial - Berzerker

Technical metalcore band. The talent and diversity these guys show in their newest CD Rareform is just incredible. Truly amazing stuff, cant wait to see them live.

Veil of Maya - It's Not Safe to Swim Today

On the Sumerian label with After the Burial and Born of Osiris. Similar sound, which isnt really a bad thing. I love what these guys are doing.

Born of Osiris - The New Reign

Already covered by Metaru, just figured that I would post my favorite song from the band. I've been learning it, and some of the **** is really hard to play. I love how the music seems to revolve around the drummer, who is amazing. Most metal bands focus on the guitar work, and the guitar is insane, but the drummer just takes it to the next level.

Protest the Hero - Divinity Within

Anyone into mathcore/metalcore has already heard lots about these guys. Some people love them, some hate them. I love them. Most of the guys who hate on them are the elitist types who think that all metal needs growling and drop C tunings, but I digress. I think they are incredibly talented.

The Human Abstract - Crossing the Rubicon

This song off their first CD, Nocturne, gets a lot of play in my car. It's one of the few CDs that you can throw on and let play, without feeling the need to change tracks. Unfortunately, their latest CD was HORRIBLE. It sounds nothing like this. Oh well.

Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession

Not much I can really say. It's just a mindblowing song from a great band. At least listen to the end solos, even if you cant take the screaming vocals in the middle. It's just so otherworldly.

Necrophagist - Symbiotic in Theory

Extremely technical melodic death metal. I havent even attempted to play their songs, because I hate being disappointed in myself. Listen to the sweeps near the end that last for like a minute; just insane.

I've spent enough time doing this for now, maybe I'll add more later

ScrapMetal

Those bands are sick, you are the man, keeping this thread alive.

The new drummer for Necro is insane, he's some French guy, I've been watching him on youtube since before he joined, the guy kills it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

xekushnr

I hadn't seen him until now, he is good. I still love their old drummer Marco Minnemann though, I cant believe the **** he writes. I'd like to see what he could do on a Mike Portnoy sized kit, haha.

ScrapMetal

Mike Portnoy's kits are ridiculous.

He's a great drummer but he seems like a douche in interviews. I like drummers who can do lots with a 4 piece.

ScrapMetal

I agree with you on Protest the Hero, a lot of people hate this band. I think they're great. Just because the singer sings(and does a good job of it), people don't like them. They're a great band, the drummer is awesome.

I love the video to Heretics and Killers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEn8HmgJxd4

poems2beats
Car: s13 pignose-sold
S14, current project
99 civic, current DD

Lately I have been listening to a lot of death metal while I work out. I like Job For A Cowboy, The Agony Scene and Cannibal Corpse. Im having trouble finding other bands that are similar and that I like. Can anybody please help? I really dont know too much about hardcore metal like this.BTW Dethklok rules, there pretty friggin sweet. I love listening to Face Fisted...

xekushnr

Well, Metaru_Gia and I have listed a bunch of good bands, so you may want to start there.

nothing
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

I don't think I've heard of any of those bands but heres a few bands that I think are good:

Destroyer 666 (Death Metal)Nile (Egyptian Death Metal)Avulsed (Gore Metal?)Brujeria (Mexican Death Metal)Asesino (Mexican Death Metal)Marduk (Black/Death Metal)Rotting Christ (Black Metal)Behemoth (Black Metal)Unholy Grave (Grindcore)

Will post more later. Oh yeah and all that nu-metal, scream-o crap is pretty gay.

ScrapMetal

Damn, I gotta give those guys a try, I've never heard of Mexican death metal.

nothing

Brujeria is alright. Listen to "Matando Gueros" (Killing white folk). You can youtube for this stuff.

poems2beats
S14, current project
99 civic, current DD

Holly sh1t. I was on youtube looking for some death metal and came across this. Some crazy shat!!! Album covers made me a little sick to my stomach... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

nothing

Thats sounds like gore metal. Good stuff. If you like that you also might like that band I mentioned, Avulsed. Try the album "Stab Wound Orgasm." That might be right up your alley (pun intended).

poems2beats
S14, current project
99 civic, current DD

Im a little confused can somebody please explain all the sub genres to metal. What exactly is death, gore, hardcore, black and all the other metals. Again, I just recently got into this, so can somebody educate me a little.

nothing

There is a documentary done on this. I think it was called "Metal: A Headbangers Journey." I will try to find something on youtube. But there is a documentary that goes into almost every kind of metal sub-genre there could be. I don't think it goes into anything gay like scream-o (cause thats not really metal), but it goes into gore, black, death and a bunch of other things. I can try to explain but it will take a pretty long time and it will be boring. If you watch the documentary it will not only be fun but very informative. Let me try to find a link.

nothing

Bam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

I think there is another doc. somewhere but this is one of two that I have seen. This one is pretty good.

1unar3clipse
Car: 93 240sx HB, 01 Dodge Dakota SLT

Brujeria is the ****. if you want a good song by them look up "Hechando Chingasos" or "Anti Castro" Matando gueros is over-rated... and its more humorous than any of their songs.

going to see them on the 28th, then afterwards get drunk with Shane of Napalm Death.

Their shows are AWESOME though, same with Asesino(look up Chota Sucia by asesino lol...)

ScrapMetal

xekushnr

Couple more;

The Dillinger Escape Plan - 43% Burnt

An oldie but a goodie. I still think these guys have one of the best names in metal. Look up John Dillinger if you dont know about him.

Darkest Hour - Fire in the Sky

I love Darkest Hour and this was probably my favorite song off their last album.

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

Nevermore is awesome. 80s metal style vocals with melodic death metal riffs? Count me the **** in. This song was off one of thier latest CDs (might be the latest, dont remember). It's incredible. The intro is a little long, but let it play. The sweeping Jeff Loomis employs later in the song is just ungodly. It's so damn fast. He's known as one of the best sweep pickers in the world for a reason.

The Black Dahlia Murder - Thy Horror Cosmic

Again covered by Metaru, just wanted to post my favorite song. I play this one just about every day after I warm up a bit. Met them a bunch of times since they are from the city south of me, cool dudes, but they have been through a few members since the last time I saw them.

Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony

One of the songs that got me into playing guitar. It's basically minutes of soloing. Becker was only 16 when they recorded all that crazy ****. Marty Friedman went on to play with Megadeth. Jason Becker joined David Lee Roth's band replacing Vai, but was unfortunately diagnosed with ALS at the age of 20. Just an incredible song.
Modified by xekushnr at 11:18 PM 11/7/2008

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

xekushnr wrote:Protest the Hero - Divinity Within

Anyone into mathcore/metalcore has already heard lots about these guys. Some people love them, some hate them. I love them. Most of the guys who hate on them are the elitist types who think that all metal needs growling and drop C tunings, but I digress. I think they are incredibly talented.
yes, incredible stuff

im a drummer and can pick up on good guitar work, and even still i was amazed when i saw them live...ridiculous to watch

cant wait to see them again, supposed to have come to play the last syracuse show in the foreseeable future in a couple weeks with every time i die but i guess that didnt happen

1unar3clipse
Car: 93 240sx HB, 01 Dodge Dakota SLT

Metaru_Gia wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

^^^ metal subgenres
Wait was this aimed at me?

+1 for Dillinger and Nevermore (I loved Politics of Ecstacy)

ScrapMetal

Nah, it was for Poems2beates, he asked what were the subgenres of metal and I thought that Wiki article was pretty good at explaining it. It's still missing things. I saw the Headbangers Journey documentary on MTV2, it was pretty good, I liked it, It covered the subgenres well.

poems2beats
S14, current project
99 civic, current DD

Hhmm. Well now I know a lot more but all the sub genres are still kind of confusing...

I looked up all the artist you guys mentioned. I didnt like some but some of them were pretty bad *** imo. The black dahlia murder, misery signals, my bitter end and veil of maya were all bands I liked. I still cant find a song i like as much as "entombment of a machine" by job for a cowboy..
Modified by poems2beats at 11:28 AM 11/9/2008

ScrapMetal

I'm glad too see this thread is taking off little by little. I'm balls deep into metal, yet some of the bands that xekushnr mentioned I have never heard of. Lately I've been listening to some of those bands and their starting to become some of my favorites. The Human Abstract, I had never heard of these guys. Love the lead singer how he goes from screams to singing. The drummer goes into death metal blast beats even though this is obviously a metalcore band, great band.I had heard Between the Buried and Me, but never that song, the solo at the end was epic. these guys are very talented. The Darkest hour is a very sick melodic metalcore band, they sound good, I like em. It's hard for me to find bands I actually like, this is a good way for all of us.

xekushnr

Metaru_Gia wrote:I'm glad too see this thread is taking off little by little. I'm balls deep into metal, yet some of the bands that xekushnr mentioned I have never heard of. Lately I've been listening to some of those bands and their starting to become some of my favorites. The Human Abstract, I had never heard of these guys. Love the lead singer how he goes from screams to singing. The drummer goes into death metal blast beats even though this is obviously a metalcore band, great band.I had heard Between the Buried and Me, but never that song, the solo at the end was epic. these guys are very talented. The Darkest hour is a very sick melodic metalcore band, they sound good, I like em. It's hard for me to find bands I actually like, this is a good way for all of us.
That's what its all about man. There is so much metal out there that there is no way that any of us will hear everything there is. It's great to be able to share interests and recommend and discover bands thanks to the internet.

The Human Abstract was a great band, but just remember to stick to the Nocturne CD. The lead guitarist left after that album, and the new one is just horrible.

The older Darkest Hour CDs are less melodic and technical but still have a great sound to them. DH have been around since the mid-90s, they have put a lot of music out.

Here, I'll put out a few more

Quo Vadis - Hunter/KillerQuo Vadis - Break the CycleQuo Vadis - Absolution

One of my favorite melodic death metal bands. Amazing skill, great riffs, with an absolutely INCREDIBLE drummer. This is my posterboy melodic death metal band.

Kalmah - Doubtful About It All

Another good melodic death metal band. I dont like them as much as I do Quo Vadis, but still a good band to listen to.

Psyopus - Insects

Uhh...not even sure how to describe these guys. Kind of like a more technical version of The Dillinger Escape Plan. Their guitarist, in order to earn several guitar and amp endorsements, had to send in a video of him playing to prove that he can actually play as fast as he does on the albums. Very technical avant-garde-ish metal.

Return to “The Music Room”