Gas/MPG's - What can we do?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

N8NiTTY wrote:i would not compare a"m" to a " tl"( its a lighter car)..(3,480 lb to 3876lbs)
400 hundred pounds makes a difference... give me a g37s and and i will glady meet you in Troy and give you a run...
That wasn't my point lol. I was just responding to the notion that Honda lies about their power numbers, which I disagree with. The TL-S, like the G37, is a incredibly quick car. The reason why I didn't buy it though, like the G37, is because it's just too small for me.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

N8NiTTY wrote:i would not compare a"m" to a " tl"( its a lighter car)..(3,480 lb to 3876lbs)
400 hundred pounds makes a difference... give me a g37s and and i will glady meet you in Troy and give you a run...
I'd rather have a G, too! :mike

Yes, after looking at photos, the TL-S is definitely a more compact sedan, like a G37 or Lexus IS. I looked up real world MPG numbers from TL-S owners, and it seems that they're about on par with the G37. The performance seems to be on par, too.

N8NiTTY
Car: 2009 M35x Advance Technology

IlyaKol wrote:
That wasn't my point lol. I was just responding to the notion that Honda lies about their power numbers, which I disagree with. The TL-S, like the G37, is a incredibly quick car. The reason why I didn't buy it though, like the G37, is because it's just too small for me.
@Ivakol okay... because you had me for a second :tisk: ... i read about your admiration of the ls460 :squint: ...but a TL ..a honda accord variant to a Skyline variant....umm i would stick with skyline...

The main reason i didn't get "g" was the interior....and also they sold 40k plus "g"s in 2009... and only 9800 "m"s... i just hate riding around and every one has the exact same car i have....

finikM35
Car: 2007 M35x tech package
5/16 plenum spacer, element 114 exhaust, ztube,k&n, grounding kit, uprev tuned, D2 coilovers.

:dblthumb: Lol i love G but it feels like there are million of them in nyc :) my street looks like Infiniti dealership but my M is the only one there

N8NiTTY

finikM35 wrote: :dblthumb: Lol i love G but it feels like there are million of them in nyc :) my street looks like Infiniti dealership but my M is the only one there
Actually Newyork city /Tri state area has the most amount of infinitis of any area in united states. I found this out during hurricane sandy when i called infiniti financial.They even gave a grace period for Newyork city tristate residents effected by the storm. That is one of the other reasons why i didn't buy a 'g',They are 8 of then within 4 blocks on my house and only 1 "m"...I know there is NYC "G" club... is there one for the "m"s? :

finikM35
5/16 plenum spacer, element 114 exhaust, ztube,k&n, grounding kit, uprev tuned, D2 coilovers.

yeah G35nyc.com its still good to look at it to see different vendors and what they do or buy used parts cheap. But no such thing for M :) the other day i stopped by OneEighty place where they make custom headlights and stuff there were about 10 different Gs parked there.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

I organized an M club for my area. It is composed of me.

N8NiTTY

hopefully this forum does a infiniti M nyc tri-state meet this year... Also its says alot there are so many infinitis in Nyc and most of the dealers suck.....

finikM35

there is a tuner shop in Long Island that has meets every wednesday i heard lots of nissan guys come there i wouldn't go though :) id feel terrible with all those crazy modded cars around :facepalm:

N8NiTTY

oh okay... or forum members should meet at the newyork auto show & we all give our opinions of the q50..(post a vid on youtube for the forum).... March 29th - April 7th thats 6 weeks from now just a thought...I'm down... i will be there in my Datsun t-shirt...lol

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

antzrus wrote:I think a big part of the problem (on this list at least) is because of the current socioeconomic level of so many of our contributers. With credit cards and lease rates so enticing it is relatively easy to acquire a luxury 4x4 sports sedan, but then not so easy to maintain her. The demographic for the M (all models) is for the older fart Image more established in resources to pay w/out a lot of pain the expense of such luxury.
Right on antzrus. While the other posters are looking at a variety of ways to increase mileage they all cost much bucks. Us old dogs can afford the car and the gas. The only way I can get semi-decent mileage out of my M is keep the tire pressures on specs and lay off the gas pedal. On a good week I can get 20mpg city and maybe 23 on the highway. If I crank that bad boy up I can drop below 17 easy.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I disagree completely and have told this to Antzrus many times.

I am very young (25), but I can more than afford this car and the 15mpg that goes along with it. But why should I have to if I can do things that will improve my gas mileage? Efficiency does not mean being cheap or out of my class in car ownership. Could I have bought a Honda Civic? Sure. Could I have bought a BMW? Yep. Lexus? Word. I'm young, but I have a very sound financial backing so it is irrelevant.

I don't know about you, but I was raised to always maximize the result of anything I do.

I can afford the weekly $75-80 fillups...but if I can make it $65...why wouldn't I?

I would think, that as 'old farts', you guys would be all about trying to maximize efficiency and being conscious of budgets, etc. instead of just blowing money away 'because you drive a luxury sports sedan'. I think if your cars started to randomly get 12MPG, you'd be all up in arms trying to figure out why. You wouldn't chalk it up to, 'oh well, it's the car'.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

I would use the money I saved on gas to buy more beer. :naughty:

I'm not an old fart, (if you remember Jon Lovitz's skit from Saturday Night Live): "I'm middle-aged man! Are you staring at my gut?...I'm working on it." certainly not helped by more beer...

wingFeather

I'm middle aged, and if I could find a way to run the engine on wastewater I would. Screw foreign oil!

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

OK so we've heard from the older, experienced gentlemen.
Now for the younger farts! When I purchased my M, I was well aware of the price of fuel, well aware of the MPG reported for the vehicle, well aware of costly repairs, and could not have cared less - I loved the car and I bought it. I do not care for the newer 'girly, flowing, looks like everytnhing else' body style. I love the stance and the powerful impression made by my older M. My previous vehicle was a 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum (an $77k vehicle) so paying $4.00 per gallon for fuel was never an issue and the 6 liter engine MPG of about 14 was also never an issue. Having it totalled by a drunk driver in a F350 truck after only a few months changed the way I buy cars. That turned me off to buying another 'new' vehicle and taking another loss. Insurance paid the entire balance off so I was left with no loan payments, but I also had no car and didn't get my huge down payment back. Now I'm driving a used $22k vehicle with no payments and added a 6yr, 72k mile warranty.
Seems to me that you older lot are mis-reading others when they inquire or attempt to improve MPGs - as if we had no idea that an M would NOT be a fuel-miser, or even worse, that we bought more car than we can afford and are now complaining about it.
Maybe you thought we were just whinning about costs but it's not about that. It's not about buying an M and hoping for the MPG of a compact car with a 4 cylinder engine. It's not about what we can or cannot afford.
I can only speak for myself, but I will take liberty to speak for as many as this applies to:
My attempts to improve MPG average is NOT about money - it's about seeing just how much I can improve my driving habits and the performance of the car. It's a challenge to improve! Don't get me wrong, my field of carrer ensures I will never have financial troubles and my retirement will be very comfy, but I'm not turning any extra moneys away and I buy 'on sale' and look for the best prices like everyone else.
That said, I say with all due respect that I support your right to be uninterested in improving your driving habits or your M's MPG, but I say with (again with respect) that your posts in this thread are not helpful and do nothing to assist us in our pursuit. This thread is for peeps who are taking up the challenge of trying to get the best out of their cars and personal driving habits. We rate that process and monitor our progress through the MPG. It's really that simple.
Don't read our comments as complaints from peeps who are struggling to afford a car out of their price range.
If I bought a little car with a little engine that got 40MPG, I would still be trying to beat that average just because it's a challenge!
Cheers!

Ilya

Larz wrote:OK so we've heard from the older, experienced gentlemen.
Now for the younger farts! When I purchased my M, I was well aware of the price of fuel, well aware of the MPG reported for the vehicle, well aware of costly repairs, and could not have cared less - I loved the car and I bought it. I do not care for the newer 'girly, flowing, looks like everytnhing else' body style. I love the stance and the powerful impression made by my older M. My previous vehicle was a 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum (an $77k vehicle) so paying $4.00 per gallon for fuel was never an issue and the 6 liter engine MPG of about 14 was also never an issue. Having it totalled by a drunk driver in a F350 truck after only a few months changed the way I buy cars. That turned me off to buying another 'new' vehicle and taking another loss. Insurance paid the entire balance off so I was left with no loan payments, but I also had no car and didn't get my huge down payment back. Now I'm driving a used $22k vehicle with no payments and added a 6yr, 72k mile warranty.
Seems to me that you older lot are mis-reading others when they inquire or attempt to improve MPGs - as if we had no idea that an M would NOT be a fuel-miser, or even worse, that we bought more car than we can afford and are now complaining about it.
Maybe you thought we were just whinning about costs but it's not about that. It's not about buying an M and hoping for the MPG of a compact car with a 4 cylinder engine. It's not about what we can or cannot afford.
I can only speak for myself, but I will take liberty to speak for as many as this applies to:
My attempts to improve MPG average is NOT about money - it's about seeing just how much I can improve my driving habits and the performance of the car. It's a challenge to improve! Don't get me wrong, my field of carrer ensures I will never have financial troubles and my retirement will be very comfy, but I'm not turning any extra moneys away and I buy 'on sale' and look for the best prices like everyone else.
That said, I say with all due respect that I support your right to be uninterested in improving your driving habits or your M's MPG, but I say with (again with respect) that your posts in this thread are not helpful and do nothing to assist us in our pursuit. This thread is for peeps who are taking up the challenge of trying to get the best out of their cars and personal driving habits. We rate that process and monitor our progress through the MPG. It's really that simple.
Don't read our comments as complaints from peeps who are struggling to afford a car out of their price range.
If I bought a little car with a little engine that got 40MPG, I would still be trying to beat that average just because it's a challenge!
Cheers!
Yeah, what he said.

myother45isalesbaer

Larz,

I am glad you are wealthy and can afford these and many other luxury rides. To be practically uninvited to post anymore on this topic I really do not appreciate. Of course us old dogs agree with you that to maximize efficiency is a great goal. You say you are a wise shopper. That is good. But at what point to the costs override the potential benefits. You are a financial person, do a cost benefit analysis on the various ways to improve gas mileage. I have. I have an MBA in finance and have worked over 35 years in financial positions. I only mention the later, not to brag, but to let you know I am no dummy to the world of finance. My lost position was as a Director of Financial systems with GE and I have done many cost benefit studies. Retired at 52, so I am not really an old fart, but I watch my money carefully and I am also reasonably wealth with net assets over 1M. So much for me.

Although I find many of the posts very interesting and probably will increase gas mileage most are not practical if you do a cost benefit analysis of them. I have over the years via many ways tried to increase gas mileage on my M. Here are some that I have found to work and pass the cost benefit analysis. Lighten up the load, as in get all the junk out of the car you are paying to haul around. Keep the tire pressures within specs or run them a pound or two higher, but watch out for bad tire wear. Get off the gas pedal and do not do rapid starts from a stand still. Anticipate your stopping distance and get off the gas pedal. Don't speed up to stop lights and hit the brakes hard. The later not only saves on brake wear but also allows you to coast a little and save gas. Shut the electronic gizmos down. They tax the alternator which taxes the motor and decreases mileage. Keep the outside of the car clean and polished, not a huge gain, but it does decrease drag and adds a little to MPG. By the way you are wrong in your statement that if our mileage went down we would just say "oh well, its the car" and just let it go at that. No way.

So as an older person, who is not exactly a senior I have given you my OP. If I knew of a way to run my M cheaper without higher costs I would invest in that solution, but it has to pass the cost benefit test. If you find a way I would be all over it. I think trying to maximize efficiency is an admiral goal. As a semi-senior I offer my words of wisdom. If I could run my M on anything but gas and it passed the C/B analysis I would do so. I'd go as far to say in jest, if I could run it on cow s*** I would.

Ilya

myother45isalesbaer wrote:Larz,

I am glad you are wealthy and can afford these and many other luxury rides. To be practically uninvited to post anymore on this topic I really do not appreciate. Of course us old dogs agree with you that to maximize efficiency is a great goal. You say you are a wise shopper. That is good. But at what point to the costs override the potential benefits. You are a financial person, do a cost benefit analysis on the various ways to improve gas mileage. I have. I have an MBA in finance and have worked over 35 years in financial positions. I only mention the later, not to brag, but to let you know I am no dummy to the world of finance. My lost position was as a Director of Financial systems with GE and I have done many cost benefit studies. Retired at 52, so I am not really an old fart, but I watch my money carefully and I am also reasonably wealth with net assets over 1M. So much for me.

Although I find many of the posts very interesting and probably will increase gas mileage most are not practical if you do a cost benefit analysis of them. I have over the years via many ways tried to increase gas mileage on my M. Here are some that I have found to work and pass the cost benefit analysis. Lighten up the load, as in get all the junk out of the car you are paying to haul around. Keep the tire pressures within specs or run them a pound or two higher, but watch out for bad tire wear. Get off the gas pedal and do not do rapid starts from a stand still. Anticipate your stopping distance and get off the gas pedal. Don't speed up to stop lights and hit the brakes hard. The later not only saves on brake wear but also allows you to coast a little and save gas. Shut the electronic gizmos down. They tax the alternator which taxes the motor and decreases mileage. Keep the outside of the car clean and polished, not a huge gain, but it does decrease drag and adds a little to MPG. By the way you are wrong in your statement that if our mileage went down we would just say "oh well, its the car" and just let it go at that. No way.

So as an older person, who is not exactly a senior I have given you my OP. If I knew of a way to run my M cheaper without higher costs I would invest in that solution, but it has to pass the cost benefit test. If you find a way I would be all over it. I think trying to maximize efficiency is an admiral goal. As a semi-senior I offer my words of wisdom. If I could run my M on anything but gas and it passed the C/B analysis I would do so. I'd go as far to say in jest, if I could run it on cow s*** I would.
Let's not make this a shlong measuring contest. Bottom line is, the majority of us are 'well off' and can afford these cars. Maybe you didn't suggest it, but Ant definitely has. Meaning, that we should just accept the mileage as it is. That's BS. And if people DO have that kind of opinion, THOSE people (again, maybe not you), SHOULD stay out of this conversation as their $0.02 has no benefit of being added here. Simple as that. So yes, I hope people who have nothing to add do feel uninvited. Why? Because them cluttering the conversation with stupid posts isn't beneficial to anyone. Not the people looking to achieve something, and not even the people who are of the thought that this is a waste of time. What is a waste of time is people adding their $0.02 when it doesn't pertain to the conversation. It's a waste.

I don't go on engine related conversations, or say, M45 specific conversations to add my two cents. Why? It doesn't apply to me as I don't have an go-mods (or interest in turbo's, headers, etc.) or an M45 for my opinion to mean anything.

As for cost analysis, almost nothing suggested in the first couple of pages before this thread became a bunch of old grumpy men, was even remotely expensive. Stuff like making sure your tires are properly inflated, etc. is basically free.

Let's get back to the conversation at hand. If you think this is a waste and don't have anything concrete to add, please leave. No disrespect, but let's get back on topic.

What else can be done to improve the gas economy of these cars?

myother45isalesbaer

I honestly do not understand why you are being so defensive. My comments are in NO WAY meant to provoke a "schiong" measuring contest and I don't think I ever said anything that would indicate I was into one. What others posters say is their OP not mine. Without changing the stock engine there are many other ways to increase MPG. When Benz developed the piston engine many ways after his day were found to increase HP and mileage. Have you ever heard of water injection that was used on WWII fighter planes? How about some nitrous to boost HP? How about a "cool can"? I am an old school drag racer and know about nearly every trick in the book to get higher MPG's and produce maximum power. For the average Joe, there are devices that will shut off the A/C compressor instead of running it constantly. If you don't want to go into the motor and have it balanced and blueprinted your options are limited. Do you want to convert to run on hydrogen or propane? Both are available. I would not change rear end drive ratio's as that is a double edged sword. You might want to listen to some of us older guys as we know ways to increase MPG's. Another one, but it requires engine modes is decrease the compression ratio, say from 10:1 to 8:1. You can burn cheaper fuel. But that's an internal engine change. If you are looking for a tech solution there are many out there, but most are BS. You can't change the internal design of an engine unless you tear it down and do some modifications.

I am confused and just do not know where you are coming from. It seems you reject all practical solutions to increase MPG's. So what is your goal with this post? Asking posters not to post is very close to being in violation of the rules of this site.

I will make one (maybe not) last comment. Back in WWII, which is way before my time, my grandfather modified his car to run on both gasoline (which was in limited supply) and kerosene which was in greater supply. He would start his car on gas and as it heated up he had valves to start it running on kerosene. He got good MPG's on kerosene, but the down side was on shut down he had to get the car off kerosene and back on gas so he could start it next time.

All I can ask is don't piss on me anymore, I am not going to take it lightly.

Ilya

For the love of everything that is holy...I wasn't specifically talking about YOU (you at the end of my post was used as a general term for any user who feel that way). I was talking about people who find this thread to be a waste of time which MAY be you. Keyword being MAY. Those people (possibly you or maybe not you at all), need to stay out of this thread or similar threads in the future (as this one is beyond saving).

The things you mentioned in the first paragraph of your last post is EXACTLY what we SHOULD be talking about. Not whether or not the socioeconomic status of our forum blah blah blah as Ant has said numerous times, in numerous threads, when MPG is brought up.

Also, who is rejecting practical solutions for inceasing MPG? No one is rejecting anything. The only thing we are arguing about here or rejecting is the socioeconomic jibberish posted about earlier. That is the ONLY issue in this thread and it shouldn't even be IN this thread (thanks, again, Ant).

Do you get what I mean now?

If you have ideas for improving MPG's, by all means...post away. I would love to hear them and I know, as an older member of our forum, you have experience in a variety of different things. That is a benefit of this forum. Let's get this thread back on topic and away from the socioeconomic analyzations of posts past.

myother45isalesbaer

Totally agree. I am looking forward to more ways posters have to increase MPG's! Do everyone a favor, just take it down a few notches about irrelevant posts. It happens on nearly all of them. I have given you my best solutions to get better MPG's. Don't know what else I can say at this time, I hope this thread keeps going. It is interesting.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

To myother45:

I humbly apologise if my post rubbed you in a bad way. That was clearly NOT my intention. I 100% agree with your analysis of cost to modify Vs savings achieved. It make no sense to undergo a $$$$ mod just to save $20 per year on fuel costs. Clearly you are an affluent, well educated, and experienced gentleman. My post was in response to those who's position on improving MPG is: "Its a high MPG car - get over it or buy something you can afford and stop moaning". You clearly were not in with that lot and I'm truly sorry if you were offended.

myother45isalesbaer

Larz,

No problem. No offense taken on my part. I am truly interested in ways to improve MPG's on my M.

anotheraznguy
Car: 2005 Nissan 350z
1989 Nissan 240sx
2006 Infiniti M35

i have to agree the m was never a gas efficient car. but sometimes its sad when my 7k lb diesel truck gets better hwy mpg than the M...

myother45isalesbaer

anotheraznguy wrote:i have to agree the m was never a gas efficient car. but sometimes its sad when my 7k lb diesel truck gets better hwy mpg than the M...
Sad but true. With their extremely high compression ratios, no spark plugs and associated devices required they are very fuel efficient. Only downside to them are when they put one in a car its usually not built as well as truck one's are and tend to be slow off the line on a WOT rabbit start. Back way before my time Benz ran his car on vegetable oil as there were not any refinery's built. They considered oil as almost garbage. Benz eventually ran his cars on diesel when refinery's came about and could "crack" oil into useful products. With all the new technology out there you would think the automakers could over come the problems inherit in diesel cars. All we would have to do is get over that pre-ignition sound they make.

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

Larz wrote:To myother45:

I humbly apologise if my post rubbed you in a bad way. That was clearly NOT my intention. I 100% agree with your analysis of cost to modify Vs savings achieved. It make no sense to undergo a $$$$ mod just to save $20 per year on fuel costs. Clearly you are an affluent, well educated, and experienced gentleman. My post was in response to those who's position on improving MPG is: "Its a high MPG car - get over it or buy something you can afford and stop moaning". You clearly were not in with that lot and I'm truly sorry if you were offended.
I wouldn't call it "moaning." I'd call it whining.

A wise man, the Ohmster (the fellow who came up w/the original M nav hack) had his M for years, But as his life changed, family grew and distance to drive grew, he gave up his beloved M for a hybrid Ford Focus recently. He didn't moan, groan, whine-he made a mature decision based upon the facts. Now he even crows about the features of his new machine; realizing that the M is still there, but that delay of gratification is a sign of maturity.

Possibly, the demographic for the M may not be the young hard working fellow w/a lot of other financial responsibilities besides gas and maintenance money. Yours truly waited until he was 60 yrs old; both sons thru grad school, house paid for, zero credit card debt at the end of each month et al before making the purchase, full in cash.

"Delay of gratification is a sign of maturity."

wingFeather

anotheraznguy wrote:my 7k lb diesel truck gets better hwy mpg than the M...
Wha? What kind of house-on-wheels gets better than 25 MPG?

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

wingFeather wrote:
anotheraznguy wrote:my 7k lb diesel truck gets better hwy mpg than the M...
Wha? What kind of house-on-wheels gets better than 25 MPG?
My Chevy based RoadTrek 190 P in neutral going down hill... :facepalm:

myother45isalesbaer

There are some jesters on this post. I can appreciate good humor. There are also posters who have made some totally impractical suggestions if you look at the cost vs. the reward. Others have made practical answers has to how to increase MPG's on these cars. I can joke too. My 82 Harley FLT gets 35mpg all day, everyday. The reason it does so is pure physics and not applicable to cars. I was honestly looking for good, reality based solutions to get better MPG's out of my M. Why? I love the car but I am disgusted with the high prices of gas. I am retired, living on a fixed income and just get totally disgusted with the $80 fill-ups.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

myother45isalesbaer wrote:There are some jesters on this post. I can appreciate good humor. There are also posters who have made some totally impractical suggestions if you look at the cost vs. the reward. Others have made practical answers has to how to increase MPG's on these cars. I can joke too. My 82 Harley FLT gets 35mpg all day, everyday. The reason it does so is pure physics and not applicable to cars. I was honestly looking for good, reality based solutions to get better MPG's out of my M. Why? I love the car but I am disgusted with the high prices of gas. I am retired, living on a fixed income and just get totally disgusted with the $80 fill-ups.
Quick fix: Use your Les Baer more often; you'll get what you want... :cool:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”