Gas/MPG's - What can we do?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

myother45isalesbaer wrote:
antzrus wrote:
An M or a Prius? You obviously made your well informed decision. You are on this site; an M enthusiast site. What's the problem?
My old friend. I am with you. Buy any M and it is not a MPG machine by any means. But it is a good sleeper. Just dusted off someone who thought their new VW was a power car. I get 17-22 MPG depending on how I drive. I generally drive easy, coast to stop lights, don't power off on starts. But when I want to I can hammer that car and leave many sucking my exhaust while my A/C is running and my Bose is playing. Thats a luxury sports sedan to me.

You and me bud.

Anything you say...

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

antzrus,

I see posts all over this site about MPG. And what gets me is the "do this, do that" mentality to get a few more MPG's. I loved the one about changing the gear ratios. Sorry to say, if they can't afford the gas, they bought the wrong car. They should sell it, trade it, whatever for a high MPG car. You pay for performance. I just wonder why anyone thought they could get high MPG's out of these cars. They were designed to run quick and fast and that equates to low MPG's. I am actually surprised I get as good gas mileage as I do. Back in the day I had a T'Bird that on a good day got 14 MPG. Want mileage buy a Yaris or a Fit or God forbid a VOLT. To answer the OP....sell the car. Isn't just not for you if you need to worry about MPG's.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

myother45isalesbaer wrote:antzrus,

I see posts all over this site about MPG. And what gets me is the "do this, do that" mentality to get a few more MPG's. I loved the one about changing the gear ratios. Sorry to say, if they can't afford the gas, they bought the wrong car. They should sell it, trade it, whatever for a high MPG car. You pay for performance. I just wonder why anyone thought they could get high MPG's out of these cars. They were designed to run quick and fast and that equates to low MPG's. I am actually surprised I get as good gas mileage as I do. Back in the day I had a T'Bird that on a good day got 14 MPG. Want mileage buy a Yaris or a Fit or God forbid a VOLT. To answer the OP....sell the car. Isn't just not for you if you need to worry about MPG's.
Yeah, makes you wonder if some of these guys just got the machine on impulse-no ability to delay gratification (wait until they could afford it) and lurk for a while on a site as this. I mean the petrol dependence of our machines is legend herein. Why would you get a luxury performance machine like the M, unless you waited until you were solvent and you patiently researched the machine when originally all you really wanted was a Yaris?

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Wow u two... I usually agree with what u hv to say but you are going overboard on this one... especially you Antz, I've been biting my tongue for a while every time u tell people they should've bought a different car if they were concerned with their MPGs... I dont have one single vehicle in my household that gets over 15 MPG in the city... and I'm happy because I hv my childhood dream car in my Z, a beast of a modern beauty on my M and the family hauler... and I definitely can afford my vehicles' maintenance, mods and gas sipping, but if I can in any way improve their MPGs, in order to save $$ I'm all for it... why not? It's not as serious to me as to some people but it's definitely an issue that most Americans are concerned about...

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

What he said. It's a national issue right now. I by no means am scraping pay check to pay check in order to pay for gas, so your rants, ANTZ, don't apply to me. But being efficient in EVERYTHING in life is IMPORTANT. Wasting human potential, electricity, water, etc. etc. all adds up in the end. If I can make my car more efficient, why on earth would I NOT do it?

Bottom line, I think, judging by your constant badgering, that you are a wasteful individual who disregards any type of efficiency. lol.

I'm obviously just bustin chops, I hope you're not like that. I'd imagine an older gentleman such as yourself would know the benefits of efficient performance ;) ;)

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Come on guys. You are missing the whole issue here. This is a luxury sports sedan. It was never meant to get decent gas mileage-period. Yes, of course conservation is important-so why do so many of you change your expensive and precious oil every 3k instead of the 12k schedule I'm on?

I attempt to leave a smaller carbon footprint in many other ways-but I went into the M thing w/my eyes wide open knowing that I was not going to be a less gas consumer-but quite the opposite. My rant is that if you are consistent in your beliefs re conservation-change the oil every 12k and get that Yaris and stop complaining about what is.

Face reality as you learn from Star Trek that sometimes things JUST ARE : "Klingons hate Tribbles, and Tribbles hate Klingons. Get over it- or turn the TV off (get that Yaris...)
:gotme

PS If you have any serious concerns about gas mileage-melting the polar ice caps-what the hell are you doing w/an M and even being on this list. You ought to be ashamed!!! :facepalm:

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Lmao... :facepalm: I'm not even saying anything else about this... screw it, I am... What's so wrong about trying to achieve better gas mileage if it's possible Doc?? I mean, if we owned Lambos & Ferraris and we were getting 7 MPGs out of our V12s that'd be another thing...

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

Antz.....for an old guy AND a couselor......your a little myopic.......(imho)

You want everybody to fity into to your version of the perfect M owner.

come on!!!! :nono:

Any type of person can buy what ever car they want. A type personalities, introverts, etc.

I had a 66 Mustang 6 cylinder in college. I bought a little black mpg computer form JCWhitney in 77 while i was going back and forth. Ran headers and worked the exhaust pipes to mazimize my mileage.
Now I have a beast in the Q45. And lucky me, there was a low rear ratio and I decided to push the limits on mpg (since there werent any aftermarket stuff.
I'm different. my value system and believe system is different. Each of us are unique. :gapteeth:

It's all good.......

but when you repeat the same mantra in the same thread....it gives us old guys a bad rap..... :ohno:

:dblthumb:

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

mcrews wrote:Antz.....for an old guy AND a couselor......your a little myopic.......(imho)

You want everybody to fity into to your version of the perfect M owner.

come on!!!! :nono:

Any type of person can buy what ever car they want. A type personalities, introverts, etc.

I had a 66 Mustang 6 cylinder in college. I bought a little black mpg computer form JCWhitney in 77 while i was going back and forth. Ran headers and worked the exhaust pipes to mazimize my mileage.
Now I have a beast in the Q45. And lucky me, there was a low rear ratio and I decided to push the limits on mpg (since there werent any aftermarket stuff.
I'm different. my value system and believe system is different. Each of us are unique. :gapteeth:

It's all good.......

but when you repeat the same mantra in the same thread....it gives us old guys a bad rap..... :ohno:

:dblthumb:
Glen Campbell's got Alzheimer's-do you think I might be getting..? Image

myother45isalesbaer

antzrusm,

I'm with you. I think all we are asking is it really worth all the expense to mod the car to get a few more MPG's. You can't increase the MPG's on these cars much regardless of what you try. Given the current gas situation and if I was still working and had to commute I'd probably park my M and use it for road trips only. That's what it does best anyway. I'd go buy a Yaris for my commute car. Keep up the rants, I think you made some very fine points. Maybe I've got Alzheimer's too.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

myother45isalesbaer wrote:antzrusm,

I'm with you. I think all we are asking is it really worth all the expense to mod the car to get a few more MPG's. You can't increase the MPG's on these cars much regardless of what you try. Given the current gas situation and if I was still working and had to commute I'd probably park my M and use it for road trips only. That's what it does best anyway. I'd go buy a Yaris for my commute car. Keep up the rants, I think you made some very fine points. Maybe I've got Alzheimer's too.
We "older" more mature guys gotta' stick together! Especially when one of us has got a Les Baer at his side-you my body guard-you da' man!!

OK son, there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving conservatively and attempting to wring the most MPG out of the M by conservative driving. I do the same darn thing driving on level ground along the Columbia river @ a constant 60 mph. I get about 25.5 mpg.

But disparaging and attempting to alter the basic machine due to its basic reason d'etre is ludicrous & foolish. It it was built to be a PERFORMANCE LUXURY SPORTS SEDAN gaz guzzler-no more-no less.

I think the Nissan Leaf is really Kool-would consider getting one if I couldn't ride my bike daily to work as I do in the spring and summer. :mike

PS It's good you hold your tongue my son-my body guard is a Les :facepalm: baen w/a Les Baen...

Partysan7
Car: 2008 M35

TOP GEARS Gas consumption comparison between BMW M3 and Toyota Prius.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk[/youtube]

myother45isalesbaer

antzrus wrote:
myother45isalesbaer wrote:antzrusm,

We "older" more mature guys gotta' stick together! Especially when one of us has got a Les Baer at his side-you my body guard-you da' man!!

OK son, there is absolutely nothing wrong with driving conservatively and attempting to wring the most MPG out of the M by conservative driving. I do the same darn thing driving on level ground along the Columbia river @ a constant 60 mph. I get about 25.5 mpg.

But disparaging and attempting to alter the basic machine due to its basic reason d'etre is ludicrous & foolish. It it was built to be a PERFORMANCE LUXURY SPORTS SEDAN gaz guzzler-no more-no less.

I think the Nissan Leaf is really Kool-would consider getting one if I couldn't ride my bike daily to work as I do in the spring and summer. :mike

PS It's good you hold your tongue my son-my body guard is a Les :facepalm: baen w/a Les Baen...
Yes sir,

And I have the license to carry it or anything else I want. Me and the wife had the M out today for about an hour ride and I smoked one of those "hot rod" new Mustangs going up hill on a curvy road. So much for those car mags giving kudos to that hunk of junk. It had the power to kill me in a straight line, but he had to bail on the curves as I hit 100MPH going up hill for about 2 miles. Needless to say the wife was all over me when I was done. Like I gave a hoot. Then she calmed down and asked did we really beat that Mustang. I said, Yes we did and I burned alot of gas doing it and don't get on me about MPG's unless you want to sit your sweet butt in a Yaris. She loves the old M. Conversation was over as we proceeded to tank up on some more 93 octane M fuel.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

myother45isalesbaer wrote: Yes sir,

And I have the license to carry it or anything else I want. Me and the wife had the M out today for about an hour ride and I smoked one of those "hot rod" new Mustangs going up hill on a curvy road. So much for those car mags giving kudos to that hunk of junk. It had the power to kill me in a straight line, but he had to bail on the curves as I hit 100MPH going up hill for about 2 miles. Needless to say the wife was all over me when I was done. Like I gave a hoot. Then she calmed down and asked did we really beat that Mustang. I said, Yes we did and I burned alot of gas doing it and don't get on me about MPG's unless you want to sit your sweet butt in a Yaris. She loves the old M. Conversation was over as we proceeded to tank up on some more 93 octane M fuel.
Ohhh, just reading the above raises my testosterone levels from half empty to half full... :woot:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Need a tissue?

Ilya

Need a tissue?

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

antzrus wrote:
myother45isalesbaer wrote: Yes sir,

Ohhh, just reading the above raises my testosterone levels from half empty to half full... :woot:
.......somebody aint gonna be gettin any for a while :inout: :poke: :nono:

SiMpLyMoDiFiEd
Car: 2006 M45s, GSXR 1000

my m45 with 75k only get 250 in town and 300 on freeway :(

DaSerb
Car: '07 M45s
'16 CX9

SiMpLyMoDiFiEd wrote:my m45 with 75k only get 250 in town and 300 on freeway :(
:werd:

I am getting 180 miles on 10 gal which its ok with me. The more we obsess about mpg the more we all gonna go crazy. :ohno:
As long as it does not go below 17mpg I am fine.

There is one positive thing in all this.....gas prices are finally dropping to acceptable level. :bowrofl:

beepaj
Car: '97 M5x w/Nav black w/"bourbon" interior

[quote="cruzad3r"][quote="marosari00"][quote="mcrews"]Before buying my M, I lurked on these (M, Acura RL, yeah-Prius too etc.) car sites for about x2 years. I am environmentally conscious and I love good gas mileage as much as the next guy. But over the years the M offered something impalpable that I felt in my gut and I had to have one. On these forums gas mileage was never a part of it as so well evidenced by those who bought/leased and complained endlessly and bitterly about the mileage.

Since when does a "luxury sports sedan" hint at good mileage? Herein is one of my favorite rants: If you can't afford a "luxury sports sedan" then wait a few years, work hard, raise your kids, throw away the credit cards and pay cash and then when you can do it; do it!

I had to wait until I was 60 y/o. Delay of gratification builds character... Image
[/q

True words. I'm 66 :wavey:

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

antzrus wrote: Delay of gratification builds character... Image
beepaj wrote:
True words. I'm 66 :wavey:
Yo bro! Black w/Bourbon; the cat's pajamas!! :dblthumb:

tubelugs

Can't agree with those who assume performance must mean bad mileage. A co-worker just bought an Acura TL with 270hp - he's getting 27mpg. I average just over half that in my M35, driving 280hp. Something is amiss here.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

tubelugs wrote:Can't agree with those who assume performance must mean bad mileage. A co-worker just bought an Acura TL with 270hp - he's getting 27mpg. I average just over half that in my M35, driving 280hp. Something is amiss here.
Performance and HP aren't the same thing. You might stomp that TL off the line and through the race even though you probably weigh significantly more. On the other hand, a Ninja with 180hp would most likely leave you in the dust, and it might get 40 MPG. The ninja isn't going to keep the rider dry in the rain, though. Note that I used words like might and made up numbers for those examples. This is because research isn't necessary for this very obvious point:
Assuming engine size and tuning are equal, things like weight, gearing, and aerodynamics will make the difference on mileage from one vehicle to the next, but in this case, even those things aren't equal, leaving absolutely nothing amiss regarding the fact that the apple is red and the orange isn't.

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

I get the bit about the apple and the orange..? :gotme

DougC
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

FYI folks,
We just took a 3,500 mile trip in out M56 base model. North through Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, so you can guess at the roads. Usually about 70 mph, with perhaps 20% city/town driving. I logged the gas purchases and compared to the car mpg readout...the two were close. My observations :
1) Trip average was 26.0 mpg (not the 25.5 I thought earlier). I felt that was good.
2) The ECO setting appears to make a difference of about 2 mpg., and I only used it about half the time. So probably it could have averaged 27 mpg if I could put up with the strange throttle response on ECO more often !
3) On the highway, on ECO, you can go 500 miles before you need a gas stop...nice for long runs where we do 700 miles a day.
4) I run 35 psi in the tires, not the 33 on the car door sticker. That works well for even-across-the-tread tire wear, probably stiffens up the ride a bit, and probably helps a bit on gas. Michelins are excellent tires, but I'm biased since I worked with them for 36 years.
5) The trip started with 5,500 miles on the car, and it ended with 9,000 miles in it, so it's not quite broken in yet.

Nice car. Powerful and quiet, great stereo(premium), lots of room. Now to see how well it stands up for several years. Doug

bejjutsu
Car: M35X ('06)

I'm confused here with the cruising RPM and 0-60 relationship.

According to CR, the 2006 M35x cruises (60mph) at 2,395 RPM, goes 0-60 in 7.0s and gets 18mpg overall.
The 2011 M37x cruises at 1,955 RPM, goes 0-60 in 5.8s and gets 21mpg overall.

Is it possible to copy the gearing of the newer model?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

bejjutsu wrote:I'm confused here with the cruising RPM and 0-60 relationship.

According to CR, the 2006 M35x cruises (60mph) at 2,395 RPM, goes 0-60 in 7.0s and gets 18mpg overall.
The 2011 M37x cruises at 1,955 RPM, goes 0-60 in 5.8s and gets 21mpg overall.

Is it possible to copy the gearing of the newer model?
The new one has a completely different transmission though. You have a 5-speed.
Also I am pretty sure that 7 seconds 0-60 time is not right.

As an update on my car, I now have almost 130,000 miles on it. The car gets between 16-17mpg with my current driving, which is about 75% city driving in near stop and go traffic. The other 25% is freeway driving early in the morning on the way to work, which consists of 90mph in the clear areas so I get pretty bad mileage there and the not clear parts of the freeway are also stop and go. This mileage is down pretty far from my best ever of 32mpg all freeway driving.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I chose the M over a Maserati (lucky to get 12 MPG).

And to those who think the Acura has 270HP... I've yet to experience a Honda product that attains real world numbers that match the marketing hype. Honda's "270HP" is probably more like 190. Slow tings they are...

Ilya

wingFeather wrote:Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I chose the M over a Maserati (lucky to get 12 MPG).

And to those who think the Acura has 270HP... I've yet to experience a Honda product that attains real world numbers that match the marketing hype. Honda's "270HP" is probably more like 190. Slow tings they are...
I disagree. I test drove an 08 TL-S before my M, 6spd, that thing RIPPED WAY more than my M ever has. Even with my UpRev tune and spacer.

N8NiTTY
Car: 2009 M35x Advance Technology

i would not compare a"m" to a " tl"( its a lighter car)..(3,480 lb to 3876lbs)
400 hundred pounds makes a difference... give me a g37s and and i will glady meet you in Troy and give you a run...

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”