Gas/MPG's - What can we do?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

antzrun,

You are a hoot! How about I use my S&W .50 cal. Little more punch than the Les. The recoil after 5-10 rounds will make you into one sore "hurtin" puppy. But on the plus side if you need to let loose with more than 1 or 2 rounds you need to go back to the range and learn how to shoot that monster. Clint Eastwood no longer has the most powerful handgun. I do! ROFLOL.

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

myother45isalesbaer wrote:antzrun,

You are a hoot! How about I use my S&W .50 cal. Little more punch than the Les. The recoil after 5-10 rounds will make you into one sore "hurtin" puppy. But on the plus side if you need to let loose with more than 1 or 2 rounds you need to go back to the range and learn how to shoot that monster. Clint Eastwood no longer has the most powerful handgun. I do! ROFLOL.
Whoa! When I think of .50 cal, I think of the Israeli Desert Eagle. It's even Kosher...and it'll get you all the gas you'd ever need!

myother45isalesbaer

Hate to tell you my good friend, I have one of those in a .44mag. Big gun, but it burns the crap out of brass making the brass almost useless for reloading. Plus it weights a ton. Too big to carry, but an interesting hand gun. I'll stick with my 40 S&W as my carry weapon. It has almost the Les power but not the recoil. Its a nice shooter.

BuddyM35Guy
Car: 2007 M35x

cruzad3r wrote:i agree :)

seriously - in the winter i noticed such low MPG regardless what car i drove. My other car is the Audi TT and it's tuned pretty well. i get EXTREMELY good MPG on that sucka but when it's cold, those MPG drops like there is no tomorrow. Same exact car, same exact distance traveling (to work and back) same exact way of driving, same exact gas - LESS MPG.

now back to the M35x - i truly think it needs another gear or two. like the newer version with 7speed. i'm sure it gets good milage.

finally - those who said "luxury does not equal economic" i said "CRAP" - look at the new M hybrid. 30+ MPG and over 300 HP, "drooling right now" :D
In cold climates, such as my state of Minnesota, the put additives in the fuel in the winter for stabilization. These additives dramatically affect the fuel mileage. I can see a difference of 4 mpg between summer and winter. It's not the cold air that is the cause.

myother45isalesbaer

BuddyM35Guy wrote:
cruzad3r wrote:i agree :)

seriously - in the winter i noticed such low MPG regardless what car i drove. My other car is the Audi TT and it's tuned pretty well. i get EXTREMELY good MPG on that sucka but when it's cold, those MPG drops like there is no tomorrow. Same exact car, same exact distance traveling (to work and back) same exact way of driving, same exact gas - LESS MPG.

now back to the M35x - i truly think it needs another gear or two. like the newer version with 7speed. i'm sure it gets good milage.

finally - those who said "luxury does not equal economic" i said "CRAP" - look at the new M hybrid. 30+ MPG and over 300 HP, "drooling right now" :D
In cold climates, such as my state of Minnesota, the put additives in the fuel in the winter for stabilization. These additives dramatically affect the fuel mileage. I can see a difference of 4 mpg between summer and winter. It's not the cold air that is the cause.
Actually the cold air is part of the cause. In the winter your engine needs a richer fuel mixture to start and run properly. This used to be done by manual chokes. Today it is done electronically via the fuel injectors. The electronic fuel injectors still do the same thing as the old manual chokes did, but more efficiently. The bottom line end result is it dumps more fuel to burn and restricts the cold air flow until the engine warms up to operating temps. I am no expert on additives, but I do know in the winter they add to the pump gas something that lets the fuel ignite at a lower flash point so the engine will start easier. This also decreases gas mileage. To see a 3-4 mpg drop is about right on spec for winter vs. summer driving. If all of this were not done, your car would never start in cold weather. With all do respect you guys needs to take a basic combustion engine class or read up on them. They are not mystery machines. Living in CT I also see a mileage drop on my M in cold weather. Its just basic to the design of all internal combustion engines. Do you choke your lawn mowers when first starting them? Or your snow blowers? Its the same thing with a car, any car. Don't forget, in cold weather you are also tapping into the heat your car generated and you are running your blower motor on heat or defrost plus hitting the electronic heaters to defrost the back window. The draw of that much electricity is not free. It makes the alternator run harder to keep the battery charged. Again, lower gas mileage as the engine is powering your charging system which is working hard. If anyone know how to beat this combination of events that eats more gas in the winter I am all ears.

gpacheco
Car: INFINITI M35

My Infiniti M35 is on 22s and has a cold air intake, the laser iridium spark plug and a full castrol synthetic oil. It only have 49 thousand miles on it, its MPG is 18 mpg in town and 25 mpg on highway.The only thing i dislike about it is its RPM but besides that its a beautiful car and it has a lot of power :dblthumb:
Since i got my vehicle i haven't had any problems with it , and thats a year now. Im also from Belize City the Caribbean; in my country we only have approximately three of these cars. My only problem is , when i need parts i have to order and ship the every time. In addition, i have installed four high performance router and breaks pads.

##Does anyone know if i can remove the bluetooth player and replace it with a dvd player? and if it will work, with the original dvd player?

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

I finally found a really good way to increase your mileage:

bejjutsu
Car: M35X ('06)

Cheers to those offering insight to improve MPG. :mike
This graphic alone shows why it is a completely relevant and worthwhile discussion.

-From CR: Overall, City, and (most importantly) HIGHWAY. Every car on this list does better than the M and many of them have similar power.

Yes, some are hybrids and electric. Don't care about those. I get 21-22MPG at the maximum on the highway, unless I drive 55-60 MPH.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

Thought I would share a bit of insight.

- I was averaging 15.7 l/100 kms on regular fuel (86 octane). I put approximately 25k kms per year. $4950 per year in gas costs.
- I then added the plenum spacer, Z-Tube, uprev tuned and am stuck using 94 octane fuel but am averaging 14.4 l/100 kms. With the same kms per year I now pay $4860 per year on fuel using 94 octane fuel!

That is actually good news because I had my uprev tune done at 94 octane. If one were to continue using regular fuel and have their cars uprev tuned to 86 octane then perhaps there would be a greater savings per year. Now if you factor in the parts cost of the plenum spacer ($250), Z-Tube ($100), port and polish (MREV2 $400) and (UPREV $500) you would break even in 13.88 years.

Subtract improperly inflated tires (Gas wasted and cost of replacing tires), old gummed up engine air filter (Gas wasted), poor pump gas gumming up the injectors, fuel filter (Gas wasted and cost of repairs) you may as well sell the car now and buy a prius.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

ARRGGGHHHH !!!

Just got back from the morning run with some of my team mates and ran into my neighbor whilst running back to my driveway. He's the guy who bought the GTR-Black Edition earlier this year. I drove it when he got it, and I asked him to let me know what MPGs it made after a few months use.
He told me it makes about 16 in reg traffic and almost 23 hwy !!
Funny that, coz it has a twin turbo 3.8L and my M35 mouth breather makes, well, the SAME! (16 / 25). I'm sorry, but that simply isn't fair !
Hmmmm, I used to think he was a nice guy, LOL.

finikM35
Car: 2007 M35x tech package
5/16 plenum spacer, element 114 exhaust, ztube,k&n, grounding kit, uprev tuned, D2 coilovers.

I never get 25mpg so you should be happy lol. I rented a Mustang V6 for a week and averaged 30 mpg highway cruising at 80-90
My M35 sometimes goes 200 miles from full till light comes on. 200 miles on about 18 gallons, terrible... Thinking about switching to Lexus hybrid

fat3oy
Car: 07 M35X, 06 350z, 06 RSX, 99 Dajiban

I currently get 9MPG in my X... Any suggestions? lol

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

fat3oy wrote:I currently get 9MPG in my X... Any suggestions? lol
Take off the power steering belt, remove interior and put a JDM tite racing seat, remove sound system, remove windshield wipers (and the motor, washer tank), use 185 70 20 tires, and turn off the engine when you come to a stop.

Or, you could just run a smaller s/c pulley!

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

bejjutsu wrote:Cheers to those offering insight to improve MPG. :mike
This graphic alone shows why it is a completely relevant and worthwhile discussion.

-From CR: Overall, City, and (most importantly) HIGHWAY. Every car on this list does better than the M and many of them have similar power.

Yes, some are hybrids and electric. Don't care about those. I get 21-22MPG at the maximum on the highway, unless I drive 55-60 MPH.
that list of cars does not compare with your M in many ways Avalon ,Volkswagen, BMW3 any and every Buick even the Lincoln are not in the M's class in my opinion and in my 2013 I just averaged 26.5 MPG on a 1600 mile road trip from Illinois to North Dakota and back and I was holding at 10 over and the speed limit is 70 and 75 in Minnesota and North Dakota ,I think the newer version with 7 speed has helped a great deal with gas mileage. lets compare apples to apples regardless of what CR says is in the M class.my 2008 and 2006 got 22 or 23 MPG on hwy as well.

bejjutsu
Car: M35X ('06)

That's the graph that they had, though I agree they're not all comparable.

The M35 is known to have mediocre MPG ratings. That's just a fact.

Look at the Lexus ES 350. That's a direct comparison. It has 268 HP and gets better MPG than the M35H!

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

HP rating of the engine is not the sole factor in determining MPG.
Transmission ratios, rear end ratio, weight of vehicle along with many others.
A more appreciated comparison would show:
MPG 0-60 time
I've owned and own Lexus, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, and others. They all have their benefits.

Many, many cars get better MPG however, I have limited, if any, interest in them.

Take your motor out of your M and throw it in some other lighter car, say a Miata. MPG would increase dramatically but would you enjoy the Miata as much as the M? Or for a more direct comparison, drop your motor into a ES350 (FWD aside) and see which you like better.

I do quite a few things to increase mileage but MPG is not why I bought the car.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

What now?

Alright here are a couple videos I took, they are both on the same day and in the same area. I stopped the video for a minute because I had to change lanes and get over to the other side of the freeway and it wouldnt have worked out well doing this and trying to take a decent video of mph + mpg at the same time. The second video pics up just a minute later. Very few people seem to think it is possible to get 28+ mpg when going 80mph on a freeway (and ya in the 5 speed model, plus with a rear diff upgrade that puts me running higher RPMs then most of the rest of you at that same speed). Watch em if you want, dont have to go through the whole thing but it just shows how it certainly does average a pretty good MPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/736 ... 052027.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/736 ... 052335.mp4

chairmankaga
Car: 2007 M35 Base
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6

FWIW, I've noted the car consistently reports almost 2 MPG lower than DashCommand or my own calculations in Gas Cubby. The car says 16.9-17 MPG in mixed daily driving but the other sources say ~19 MPG.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

My 2011 is pretty accurate. Within like .2.

WillV
Car: 2006 M35 Moonlight White/Tan Interior

Ilya wrote:My 2011 is pretty accurate. Within like .2.
My 06 is never more than .5 gallons off either. The last ten times I've filled up I've gotten 20-23 avg mpg combined. But that's because I have almost no city driving on those tanks.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”