Garrett GT25R vs. T3/T04E

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

well, a bad oil supply would blow out the seals. are you using the stock sr oil send? pcv valve, oil seperator, breather hoses, are theese all stock? have you rerouted any of them to different places. maybe accidently routed the intercooler hot/cold pipes to the valve cover? that would be an easy mistake.

240SXer
Car: 1995 240sx SE (2jz powered)

Soon by setup will be:

GT25R .86 A/RTial 38mm External Wastegate740cc injectorsz32 MAFSS Rom tune (not dyno, i'm in Cali)...

I'm curious about how much boost I can run and how much power I can put down with that setup. Everything else on the motor is stock. (i.e. Head gasket, cams, etc.) all stock.

I'm curious

VitaminT
Car: 93 240sx SE

I am thinking you REALLY ought to think about a head gasket. Other people can give you a better idea, but that setup is capable of close to 400whp and I don't think your head gasket will last very long at all at those power levels. It is kindof funny though, that is almost the exact same setup I want since I do mostly drag as well.

Phax
Car: Control dynamics

VitaminT wrote:I am thinking you REALLY ought to think about a head gasket.

:Werd

You should definitely consider a head gasket. Also, that setup is going to make good power all the way into the upper RPM ranges. If you're not disciplined to stay away from the rev limiter, you might want to get some RAS and better springs while you have the head off to do the gasket.

Gladius

s13sr20chris wrote:well, a bad oil supply would blow out the seals. are you using the stock sr oil send? pcv valve, oil seperator, breather hoses, are theese all stock? have you rerouted any of them to different places. maybe accidently routed the intercooler hot/cold pipes to the valve cover? that would be an easy mistake.

Man, now you have me thinking it is the turbo seals. Because when i first got my sr up and running, it had an oil pump issue where the ball valve in the pump assym. wouldnt close at low rpms. therefore creating extremely low oil pressures. When that happened we pulled the motor and had to replace the main bearings. I was hoping it didnt affect the bearings in the turbo and doesnt seem to have, just the seals. The low pressure situation was only present for a couple seconds.

I do believe all the breather hoses are in their correct stock positions. Where is the pcv valve located so I check that, I dont recall seeing it?

Oh yeah, and i dont have a catch can or any stock carbon canister either. Maybe this oil prob is natural and there is nothing there to catch it.?

s13sr20chris

oil supply prob would be like no oil restrictor. that provides too much oil and you blow it past the seals. if you are using a factory det then you dont have to worry about that. nissan took care of it. you should not need a catch can. your pcv valve should be screwed into your valve cover if i recall.

Gladius

Yeah im using factory oil feed lines so there is a restrictor. BUT! I dont ever recall seeing a pcv valve anywhere on the valve cover. Where "should" it be? I the only thing i recall is a "T" coming out of the side of the cover on the exhaust side. Connected to it is the crankcase breather hose and then the other side of the T goes to the intake pipe right after the maf.

Gladius

Movingviolation240 wrote:Here is an idea of how it will look when installed. You can't see many details, but it gives you a basic idea.

OK, in this pic, the black hose coming out of the valve cover "T's" left and right. To the left goes to the crankcase, and to the right where does it go? Are you routing it to your i/c piping?

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

Oh no no, he is definitely not routing it back into the intercooler, at least I hope not. Doing so will pressurize the block when you get into boost. He is probably draining it into a catch can of some sort down there.

msaskin
Car: cars, computers, skiing, mountain biking

The one to the right goes to a catch can and then either to a breather filter or back into the intake pre-turbo.

~matt

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

the one on the right goes into the block where the factory had a vent. The one on the left dumps through a breather filter onto the ground.

Paul

Gladius

Ok that helps. So is there even a pcv valve anywhere?

s13sr20chris

yeah, but it comes out the other side of the valve cover. i just looked at mine yesterday. its on the back of the intake side of the valve cover. it just screws in and goes to a t. both of the hoses that t off of it go to opposite sides of the intake manifold. does pauls have that? i think that you could just route the pcv valve to another breather. mine is set up just like the picture but the breather is right there on the end of the tee(exhaust side).

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

Mine is plugged up right now. All I have is the 2 vents on the turbo side hooked up.

Paul

s13sr20chris

and you dont have any weird blowby issues or anything right? do you have any intention of changing that?

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”