G35 Weight Reduction Index

Member area: Post up your ride and the modifications to date
Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Maybe if I have enough time this weekend, I'll take out the seats for the hell of it to see how much they weigh.

I've been joking with my wife about installing a cage bar in the rear and attaching the baby's car seat to it.

More safety right?

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Remove the unnecessary intake ducts and things from the left, remove all plastic panels from under the hood, Relocate battery to trunk, where the spare tire is, (you dont want the weight distribution to go from 53/47 to 56/44, instead remove 50lbs from the rear, redistribute 30 from front to rear, to prevent traction loss and oversteer) If you have the time and resources to do all that. The Battery would be the biggest problem. Mercedes keeps them in the trunk, its weird. One thing you guys are forgetting, is that safety design is also heavy. The Bracing and density of certain parts make it safe. If a Mustang and a G coupe had a head on collision, the G passengers will be in better shape than the mustang passengers. Plus, the G chassis is nearly twice as strong(overall). You can put a Mustang on jacks, and virtually bend the body with your hands. The FM Chassis is incredibly strong and rigid. Not even Bender could bend it.

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

Since the mod database hasn't had a post in nearly a month and a half, I thought of an idea for this project from back when I was in driver's ed.

My instructor had me and my partner drive to a recycling/trash place that allowed people to come and dump stuff. He wanted us to see how heavy a car was and then towards the end of the day he had us drive there again to get weighed to see the difference from the usage of gas. They had a car/truck scale and you drive up onto the scale, get weighed, dump your stuff, get weighed again, and you're charged accordingly. Also similar to a scrap yard when you bring in metal, they weigh you before and after you dump your scrap.

See if you can find some place that you can just drive up to or will let you use their scale for this project. That way you don't have to buy one and maneuver it on the scale.

kmech_7
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe (Skyline) Vortech Supercharged Jul 08 ROTM

hey....I will add some wieghts to this on sat.....got some new parts...so the old can go!!

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Bump for a great thread...what happened here guys??

IlsG35
Car: 2003 graphite 6speed G35

Replacment of the flywheel will reduce weight an u will get better response Z1 flywheel is 29.75 lbs vs 46.6 lbs stock

Poyzinous

46 lbs????Thats the weight of the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc, the flywheel itself is 25lbs

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Poyzinous wrote:46 lbs????Thats the weight of the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc, the flywheel itself is 25lbs
Definitely agree. OEM Clutch and flywheel are approximately 32lbs if memory serves.

Most of the aftermarket flywheels fall into the 14-18lb category. So assuming that the OEM clutch disc and an aftermarket one weigh about the same, you can save around 7-11lbs of rotating weight by going aftermarket (YOU WILL SOUND LIKE A DIESEL TRUCK!)

Poyz,

You got a scale in the shop? Maybe you can pick up on on a few of these items. I haven't had the time to do much in the way of car stuff recently.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

The cause is going from a dual mass to single mass. The noise originates in the transmission and the dual mass reduces the sound. The single mass does not dampen the noise and therefore transmits the sound through, regardless of weight.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

tollboothwilley wrote:The cause is going from a dual mass to single mass. The noise originates in the transmission and the dual mass reduces the sound. The single mass does not dampen the noise and therefore transmits the sound through, regardless of weight.
Not quite. It's well known that the higher weight flywheels are less noisy. This makes perfect sense if you think about what the dual mass design is doing. Also, a dual mass flywheel that only weighed 13lbs would likely chatter as well.

tollboothwilley

less noise has more to do with the construction design and material more than anythign else...lots of flywheels have different amounts of chatter.

the noise originates in the transmission...this point has been discussed over and over...due to the lightweight ALUMINUM tranny

dual mass flywheel was implemented to supress the noise

Good luck finding a flywheel that is anywhere close to 13 lbs

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

tollboothwilley wrote:less noise has more to do with the construction design and material more than anythign else...lots of flywheels have different amounts of chatter.

the noise originates in the transmission...this point has been discussed over and over...due to the lightweight ALUMINUM tranny

dual mass flywheel was implemented to supress the noise

Good luck finding a flywheel that is anywhere close to 13 lbs
I'm not even sure why we're debating this issue. Don't you have an auto?

There are actually a few sub 13lb flywheels for the G/Z. My buddy has one in his supercharged Z. I believe it was somewhere in the 10lb range.

The point is this: A heavier flywheel will have a higher moment of intertia which means that there will be less gear chatter PERIOD.

tollboothwilley

As if I need to have a 6MT in order to understand a clutch? LOL

Yes, moment of inertia is better with a heavier flywheel. Has nothing to do with the chatter that is generated BY THE TRANSMISSION.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

tollboothwilley wrote:As if I need to have a 6MT in order to understand a clutch? LOL

Yes, moment of inertia is better with a heavier flywheel. Has nothing to do with the chatter that is generated BY THE TRANSMISSION.
TBW, stop arguing. Especially in this thread.

A) I've driven the G with 3 flywheels (OEM, JWT, RPS) including the the lightest practical one (JWT).B) It's WELL known that the lighter the flywheel, the more chatter is made by the transmission. This is NOT isolated to the VQ/FM vehicles.C) If the dual mass flywheel is capable of muting THE TRANSMISSION, why wouldn't various single mass flywheels affect the gear chatter of THE TRANSMISSION?

Sean, Joe, Would you mind moving the posts from TWB's onward to their own thread? They don't really belong here.

tollboothwilley

I only post for the misinformation you keep throwing in. Just want to make sure someone reading your post isn't confused.

I have driven plenty of G35/350Zs with plenty of aftermarket flywheels and stock.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

tollboothwilley wrote:I only post for the misinformation you keep throwing in. Just want to make sure someone reading your post isn't confused.

I have driven plenty of G35/350Zs with plenty of aftermarket flywheels and stock.
It's NOT misinformation. The RPS flywheel at 17 and change lbs is quieter than the JWT at 15lbs. The JWT sounded like a big rid diesel and low RPMs and chattered like a mofo at idle. I really hate arguing with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. The Chameleon Z on eBay has a 10lb or 11lb flywheel and chatters like a none other.

The Fidanza and Nismo weighing in at 18 are reported to have less chatter.

tollboothwilley

I installed a JWT flywheel/clutch combo on my friends 350Z. VERY LITTLE chatter. Only noticeable at idle.

Try to tell me what I do and dont know...LOL

My friends Fidanza Z has the same amount of chatter.

You are going off of "reportedly" blah blah

Do more research. I am correcting misinformation. Just because you don't agree with me...well, there ya go.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

tollboothwilley wrote:I installed a JWT flywheel/clutch combo on my friends 350Z. VERY LITTLE chatter. Only noticeable at idle.

Try to tell me what I do and dont know...LOL

My friends Fidanza Z has the same amount of chatter.

You are going off of "reportedly" blah blah

Do more research. I am correcting misinformation. Just because you don't agree with me...well, there ya go.
I've had experience with 3 personally. As in, I drove them for thousands of miles. I know how they rev, how the slow down, how they chatter, when they chatter, how much they weigh...

If you don't have the mechanical aptitude to understand how a higher mass (heavier) flywheel would reduce gear chatter, than I can't help you. You've already stated that a dual mass flywheel is capable of dampening the transmission noise. As such varying mass single-mass flywheels should also have an affect on that same noise.

tollboothwilley

LOL.

I have plenty of experience Nate.

I'm saying ALL SINGLE MASS FLYWHEELS CHATTER. I've never argued that they don't chatter differently based on different weight.

There is a reason Nissan went with a dual mass flywheel...and like i have mentioned in 10 previous posts, it is because of the lightweight aluminum transmission that channels noise/vibration to the flywheel.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

I'll wait until your lovers quarrel is done.

Then we'll clean it up sometime tomorrow, split the threads etc..

For now, I'm gonna lurk in all posts for the day then watch a movie and call it a night.

Don't go to bed mad you two..

Poyzinous

I might weigh some things this weekend...

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Hey Sean,

What happened to splitting this thread? I'd love to get a decibel meter out and PROVE to TBW that this was true *shakes head*

Ah the good ol' days of internet debates.

TJSJ22
Car: 2004 Infinitini G35 Sedan

Sentientbydesign wrote:The door inserts felt like at least 10lbs. I'm thinking more, but It's hard finding an accurate scale that measures small and large weights accurately...unless I want to dish out serious dough.
Hold the part in your hand and subtract your weight.

Return to “G35 and G37 Modification database”