FX50S Upgrades

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
s_alnejadi
Car: 2011 Nissan 370Z Nismo
2009 Infiniti FX50S

Hi
I have a 2009 FX50S and wanna make my car faster by installing upgrades, but unfortunately didn't find anything on the web except air filters! any recommended upgrades / performance parts? :yesnod

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

The only real way you'll be able to gain more significant power would be to install a supercharger which will cost you upwards of $10k for a well built product with all the correct engine management and installation hardware. Check out the folks at GTM Power as a good starting ground. :)

s_alnejadi
Car: 2011 Nissan 370Z Nismo
2009 Infiniti FX50S

seldomseen wrote:The only real way you'll be able to gain more significant power would be to install a supercharger which will cost you upwards of $10k for a well built product with all the correct engine management and installation hardware. Check out the folks at GTM Power as a good starting ground. :)
sad to hear that. I guess keeping it stock much better.

Jbaker1121
Car: 09 FX50, FULL OEM Aero kit, GTspec STB, HKS -style mufflers, 367awhp/358tq UPrev Osiris tune
---- for sale!!!!!!

'84 Z31 300zx 50th AE VG30ET...build in progress SOLD :(

The FX50's are now tunable with Uprev Osiris software…. the guys who have had it done with a fw mods (exhaust, intake) have seen a ~40hp bump to bring AWHP up to ~340 from ~305.

Im bringing mine in tomorrow for a tune.

Jbaker1121
Car: 09 FX50, FULL OEM Aero kit, GTspec STB, HKS -style mufflers, 367awhp/358tq UPrev Osiris tune
---- for sale!!!!!!

I also installed resonated test pipes which should be old for another 10-20hp after another tune.

AusQX70S
Car: 2013 INFINITI QX70S

Easy Steps to improving performance of a stock FX50S without major modifications....... As mentioned above, if you want significant increase you'll need to look into superchargers or turbo's; costly. Personally I'd really love to the the Protean Drive hybrid technology hit the consumer market, it's a sleek, stealthy circular hub that fits behind your existing wheel; containing a 105HP electric motor, computer circuitry and sensors. Four units can be linked into the ECU of an AWD vehicle, and is instantly adaptable to the FX50's electronic driving dynamic, and safety programs. The questionable part is going to be the battery cell technology used, storage capacity, recharge technique, cubic size etc.

Pretty awesome... I might do a prothean post. ;)

--EXHAUST--
Remove the stock exhaust system! You have two primary options, only one I can comment on. You can go all the way with a full system, headers and all; but I suspect that you would need to be mindful of the sensors that are in place and aware that removing anything before the catalytic converters is 'frowned upon' with regards to your warranty. I personally left the cats in place, and then installed a custom system. The cats fix to flexi-joints, then 2.5" piping with a mandrel bent x-pipe. I'm using Varex mufflers, which have an electronic butterfly valve; so i can choose between straight through power or subtle silence.

--INTAKE--
It's a debatable subject, I believe that most after market cold air intakes are no more efficient than the factor design. Dropping in a set of K&N filters is always a good idea, if only for value.

--TUNE--
I had my FX remapped and dyno'd. They made some significant changes which improved power, torque and efficiency. These cars run rich from the factory.

--LOSE WEIGHT--
Jogging, swimming, removing the doughnut..... Anything you can shed. I went the other direction, making it heavier with sound deadening ;)

--THE ACTUAL GAIN--
The claimed power of the factory V8 is 390HP, but by the time that power get's to the wheels it's actually closer to 240HP. All of the modifications I've done equates to a gain of around 40HP, which in my case in enough to counter the performance hit taken by adding all of my sound deadening material. End the end, it's all about you and what you want to do with your car. Dollar for dollar, going all out with the exhaust with a tune and some drop in filters is the extent of what you can do without forced induction.

Come and see my post for more info........

qx70s-a-buyers-journey-t586983.html

and stop by Infiniti Brisbane on Facebook.....

https://www.facebook.com/infiniticlubbrisbane?ref=hl

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

AusQX70S wrote:Easy Steps to improving performance of a stock FX50S without major modifications....... As mentioned above, if you want significant increase you'll need to look into superchargers or turbo's; costly. Personally I'd really love to the the Protean Drive hybrid technology hit the consumer market, it's a sleek, stealthy circular hub that fits behind your existing wheel; containing a 105HP electric motor, computer circuitry and sensors. Four units can be linked into the ECU of an AWD vehicle, and is instantly adaptable to the FX50's electronic driving dynamic, and safety programs. The questionable part is going to be the battery cell technology used, storage capacity, recharge technique, cubic size etc.

Pretty awesome... I might do a prothean post. ;)

--EXHAUST--
Remove the stock exhaust system! You have two primary options, only one I can comment on. You can go all the way with a full system, headers and all; but I suspect that you would need to be mindful of the sensors that are in place and aware that removing anything before the catalytic converters is 'frowned upon' with regards to your warranty. I personally left the cats in place, and then installed a custom system. The cats fix to flexi-joints, then 2.5" piping with a mandrel bent x-pipe. I'm using Varex mufflers, which have an electronic butterfly valve; so i can choose between straight through power or subtle silence.

--INTAKE--
It's a debatable subject, I believe that most after market cold air intakes are no more efficient than the factor design. Dropping in a set of K&N filters is always a good idea, if only for value.

--TUNE--
I had my FX remapped and dyno'd. They made some significant changes which improved power, torque and efficiency. These cars run rich from the factory.

--LOSE WEIGHT--
Jogging, swimming, removing the doughnut..... Anything you can shed. I went the other direction, making it heavier with sound deadening ;)

--THE ACTUAL GAIN--
The claimed power of the factory V8 is 390HP, but by the time that power get's to the wheels it's actually closer to 240HP. All of the modifications I've done equates to a gain of around 40HP, which in my case in enough to counter the performance hit taken by adding all of my sound deadening material. End the end, it's all about you and what you want to do with your car. Dollar for dollar, going all out with the exhaust with a tune and some drop in filters is the extent of what you can do without forced induction.

Come and see my post for more info........

qx70s-a-buyers-journey-t586983.html

and stop by Infiniti Brisbane on Facebook.....

https://www.facebook.com/infiniticlubbrisbane?ref=hl

^^^

He doesn't realize his tuner took him for a ride. The FX50 puts down WELL OVER 240hp on the stock tune - around 320. With just the muffler swap and intake filters, plus a tune, you'll probably be lucky to get even 10hp/15tq. NO WAY you are getting +40 hp from switching out the mufflers and throwing in K&N. It's nonsensical.

Just trying to make sure there is not incorrect info out there. Classic example of a tuner reading the beginning HP reading low so it makes it look like they made a huge increase in power from little to no mods....

sorka
Car: Infiniti FX50s

The FX50 puts out 330 to 340 at the wheels bone stock. If someone was told 240 and then got a supposed tune to bring it back up to stock, they were taken for a ride. Google it. Lots of stock dyno sheets for F50's out there. This puts it at about 15% drive train loss for the lower end or the factory underrated output by about 10hp.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

sorka wrote:The FX50 puts out 330 to 340 at the wheels bone stock. If someone was told 240 and then got a supposed tune to bring it back up to stock, they were taken for a ride. Google it. Lots of stock dyno sheets for F50's out there. This puts it at about 15% drive train loss for the lower end or the factory underrated output by about 10hp.
it puts down about 320-230 AWHP stock. little adjustment/breathing brings it a few more ponies/tq... Lots of guys being fooled by tuners making minor adjustments that new around 5 hp, but claim they gained around 40 hp....

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”