FX45 - two week report, a few minor beefs

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
rhvh2000
Car: Eat. Sleep. Golf. Lather, rinse repeat.

Still loving the FX45, great ride, turning heads.Feels like master of the universe.Especially love passing BMW X5s, he he.

But of course a few minor nits are bound to show up, and I thought you'd want to know about them as well.

HVAC:- In auto mode, the fan speed is too low both when it is trying to adjust the temperature and when the target temperature is attained. It takes too long to reach the target temperature, and then feels too stuffy when that temperature is achieved. Of course that can be overcome by manually increasing the fan speed, but that defeats the purpose of the auto mode.- The air outlets on the dashboard will not point low enough.

Seat controls:More than a minor annoyance, the seat controls are located next to (under) the driver's right thigh. This creates a noticeable pressure point that I believe will be a problem on longer trips. Why didn't they just put the controls on the side of the seat or on the door like everyone else? Picture attached.

Automatic headlights.The owner's manual states, "The life of xenon headlights will be shortened by frequent on-off operation. It is generally desirable not to turn the headlights for short intervals."But if the car is garaged, the lights will turn on every time the car is started, and then turn off as soon as the car is backed out of the garage and into daylight. I'm going to try to work around this by installing a bright light to shine on the dashboard light sensor when the car is in the garage. Anyone have any other ideas?

Size of glovebox.If you put the owners manual in the glovebox, that's pretty much it. There's not enough storage.

Range of intellikeyIf I keep the intellikey in my right pocket, it often doesn't sense my presence (the sensor is in the outside mirror). The range should be incresed by a foot or so. It works fine if I keep it in my left pocket.

Retractable cargo cover.C'mon Infiniti - that should be included in a luxury vehicle.

Edited to add:ClockThe analog clock is kinda cool; I know it's a signature thing for Infiniti, but it's not well enough lit at night; I find it hard to tell the time. Adding a digital clock to the display would help.

Passenger seatIt's too low, and the height is not adjustable

Speed bumps - when going over the descending side of a speed bump, the front suspension tends to hit the limit of travel too easily. I suspect this machine won't fare well off-road (which is ok for me, since I have no intention of ever taking it off road.)

See, I told you they were minor.

Rick

Jason B

rhvh2000 wrote:
Automatic headlights.The owner's manual states, "The life of xenon headlights will be shortened by frequent on-off operation. It is generally desirable not to turn the headlights for short intervals."But if the car is garaged, the lights will turn on every time the car is started, and then turn off as soon as the car is backed out of the garage and into daylight. I'm going to try to work around this by installing a bright light to shine on the dashboard light sensor when the car is in the garage. Anyone have any other ideas?

On the Q45 you can adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights. Mine is garaged and I no longer have this problem. Mine has an adjustment in the computer menu and you can even fully disable it.

rhvh2000

The FX45 also is adjustable, but even when I set it for the least sensitive response, it still triggers the lights. Of course I can turn it off, but that's no fun...

Alan
Car: Cars, cars, scooters

I think you should bail now. Considering the problems I might take it off your hands at a DEEP discount! ;-) Thanks for the report, and enjoy. Alan

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

SO cool that we have 2 FX members when the car's only been available for less than a MONTH!!!

Now if we can just find some M45 owners....

rhvh2000

Alan wrote:I think you should bail now. Considering the problems I might take it off your hands at a DEEP discount! ;-) Thanks for the report, and enjoy. Alan
Wow, that is so kind of you to offer.Let me think about it...Tap, tap, tap.Ok, I am done thinking about it. No. :D

(I edited the original post to add a a few items.)

Seriously though, don't misinterpret me on this list - I think Infiniti has done an amazing job of getting this vehicle right on the first try. These really are minor items (and some of them are personal preference.) I love my FX45!

rick

RickP

I just got the FX35 AWD with premium package and roof rails and mud guards in golden sand with the willow interior. It is terrific! (I'm replacing my Boxster S with this vehicle!). I test drove an MDX back-to-back with this vehicle and the FX was way sportier (but didn't have as much room). So far the build quality seems excellent. I agree with the clock issue; at least add a digital clock to that nice info screen. I think that the 20 inch wheels and sport suspension are too much for this chassis and am glad I didn't get them; the 18 inch wheels are stiff enough (and that's coming from a Porsche with 18 inch wheels and sport suspension!) At first I was a little put-off by the looks but am starting to like it because it is distinctive but the pictures of the new Chrysler Pacifica look similar. I am planning to add a tow hitch for a bike rack when it becomes available.:D

Jason B

Congrats.

The 18's aren't that bad since they still look beefy with the extra tire sidewall.

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

I was up visiting our local Infiniti dealer today and there must have been an entire truck load of FX45's and FX35's. They all still had the plastic covering on the wheels and styrofoam on the rear and doors. Beautiful site except that where there wasn't plastic they were covered in salt from what looks like many many miles on the winter roads during their route there. Looks like they all came with the 20" wheels. It was a beautiful site. They were in all colors, the Nissan orange/gold that's been on everything, black, a nice crayola red that look suprisingly good and a few other flavors.

Return to “Murano Forum”