FX 35 dirty MAS

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
FastOldGuy
Car: FX 35

Recently a tire shop reinstalled a dirty filter in my FX 35. In about 10 miles the filter sucked back towards the MAS buy did not touch the MAS. Dirt from the filter contaminated the MAS. The car would idle but not accelerate.

The car was towed to an Infiniti dealership. I told them I suspected a MAS problem. They replaced the MAS and clean the injectors [injectors not authorized] .

The charge was 829.00

I kept the old MAS and cleaned it with MAS cleaner and put it back into the car. About 15minutes of work. They car runs perfectly on the original [cleaned] MAS.

I'm in a dispute with the Dealership. I say they should have cleaned the MAS instead of replacing it with a $450.00 new part.

Also I say they should not have clean the injectors on a car that was running perfectly before the MAS was contaminated.

Does anyone have a link to an online service manual so I can see what they manual recomends for a dirty MAS.

Or is there a Infiniti Tech that can tell me what the manual says on this issue.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Technically the MAF should not be cleaned (according to the FSM) however we always do it. They make a specal MAF cleaner that can be used on it (that may be what used)..... I dont undersand how they installed the filter wrong to dirty the MAF. I would think it was something else like a connector..?

FastOldGuy

No it was the filter. The MAS plug was fine. The top diver's side corner sucked back towards the mas but didn't touch it. Dirt from the filter contaminated the hot wire on the MAS. I got the original mas back from the dealer and sprayed it with mas cleaner and put it back in the car. The car has been running perfectly on the original [cleaned] mas.

Are you a factory tech? At where you work is it common practice to just clean the MAS instead of replacing it?
Modified by FastOldGuy at 8:12 AM 2/6/2007

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I just believe that you should always try the cheap/easy stuff first even if you dont think it will do anything.... Sometimes you get lucky! That is how I do it on my car..

Most factory techs do not try cleaning it first because in general it does not fix the problem permanently. Most times if the MAF is bad, cleaning it will fix it for a while and then the symptoms will come backl, and they dont like doing repeat work. No tech wants to see the same car for the same reason!!!! That is at least my experience on older Nissan's with bad MAF, im not sure if that correlates to newer ones.

FastOldGuy

Well I bought a 2005 FX35 CD factory service manual for $3 and 8.95 S/H on ebay

on pages 193, 194 and 201,202

It describes trouble shooting the MAS for the FX35 it says to clean the MAS if it fails certain test.

So replacing a $450 MAS just because it is simply dirty and needs cleaning appears to be excessive.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

What a shame you shoulda posted something about a FSM, i have the FSM for free i could have given you...

FastOldGuy

elwesso wrote:What a shame you shoulda posted something about a FSM, i have the FSM for free i could have given you...
Well thank you anyway nice offer.

Well it wasn't that bad I picked one up on CD from eBay for$3 plus $8.95 S/H it looks like the genuine article with infinity logo and everything. Makes me wonder where it came from originaly. Anyway the guy apparently sells a lot of them.

I spoke with the dealership again. They took their $450.00 MAS back {my car is running fine one the cleaned original MAS} They are refunding the money for the MAS part and for cleaning my injectors without authorization and without cause. total refund $570

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Nice, glad you got it done!!!

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”