Full-Race R14 -> 2010 Modified Tuner Shootout

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

do what YOU really want to do.

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

Forgot to say that option 1 makes the most sense on that list. My previous post was more in jest. :mike

Ni$$@n240
Car: Currently 1995 S14 Se

Australians are so lucky. But wow thanks for finding that 2jz R32 I couldnt find it lol.

impact240sx
Car: 1993 240sx Sr20det Gt2871R 2003 350z 1991 240sx Sr20det 2004 Land Rover DISCO

I own a 350z but I'm not biased, I really don't like the vq35de. What about like an awd VVL SR?

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Just saw a video of a full race turbo kit on an s14. So mean.

also, Who doesn't like the way VQ's sound. I love that stock VQ growl. I'd VQ swap if it were any easier to make them run in an s13.

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

They all sound like good options. I know you guys have a lot of experience with both the 2J and RB motors but with all your current experience with this project, maybe the RB quirks and whatnot may be fresher in your mind, therefore easier to deal with? The VQ sounds like it'd end up being way more expensive to deal with in the long run, drivetrain wise, though I may be wrong. I like all the options, and like Mattblancarte's idea for the force fed LSx, but my vote goes to the RB since your already fresh with it and it's tuning in this car, the drivetrain kicks a**, and We're all Nissan enthusiasts ;)

*whistles while waiting for diffuser pics* :poke: :biggrin:

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Also just thinking out loud here, but what are the chances that a transfer case from a rb26 bolts up to a 6 speed vq truck tranny?

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

the converted wrote:Also just thinking out loud here, but what are the chances that a transfer case from a rb26 bolts up to a 6 speed vq truck tranny?

I probably have a better chance at getting a super model in the sack, at least when they get high/drunk they get horny.

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

breadbox wrote:also, Who doesn't like the way VQ's sound. I love that stock VQ growl. I'd VQ swap if it were any easier to make them run in an s13.

meh, they are alright but they sound too rumbly like a subie to me probably because of the split 3/3 exhaust.

RB's just have that smooth growl and they have that high pitched "howl" at high rpms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ3eg817 ... re=related

GOD my heart hurts when i hear that :rotflmao <looks like a seizure smiley

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

the converted wrote:Also just thinking out loud here, but what are the chances that a transfer case from a rb26 bolts up to a 6 speed vq truck tranny?
Not sure if you noticed but almost everything on the R14 is custom. So im pretty sure with the R14.2 it will again be custom. Not like everything will just bolt up....

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Oh I noticed, but I know that transfer case bolts up to a pathfinder tranny so there's a SMALL chance that it might bolt up to something else. I just figured that drivetrain adapters a a pain in the a** to make, and it would be a decent thing to check before doing all the machining.

EDIT: did some digging, but it looks like a g37x transfer case will bolt up to an xterra box. Get your hands on a 350z box and you can swap all of the gears over to get the better ratios.

CJH
Car: S13

You already have the RB so it does make sence to go with that. But if you dont care, I would go with the VQ. Its lighter. You can still make a ton of power like the RB. my .02

full-race geoff
Car: R14

The new issue of modified magazine is on news stands, check it out!!

We got 2nd place in AWD class :biggrin:

Full-Race has recently received a lot of PMs and emails now that the new issue of the Tuner shootout is on newstands. The updated R14 portion of the Full-Race.com site is coming next week, but to answer the basic questions, ill copy/paste the beginning text for you:

Full-Race.com -- R14 DIY HOW-TO info

this portion of the Full-Race.com website breaks down the R14 conversion in detail. Pictures and information help to make it clear how to do this AWD RB26 swap. If you've done a few different motor swaps, installed some turbokits, know how to use a hand-drill + welder (220 Volt Mig welder recommended), and are committed/prepared to take on a big project you can tackle this install. If you dont know how to do swaps or install aftermarket turbokits, do not start this conversion until you have more experience or better understand the process.

A) Required BIG parts:
-(95-98) S14 Chassis, S15 will work too. S13 will NOT work for this swap!! <
-R32 GTR front clip w/ complete front suspension and complete rear subframe <easy to find at any big JDM importers/yards>
-Full-Race R14 DIY kit

^^^If you can acquire all of the above items^^^ all the big purchases are out of the way.

B) Full-Race R14 kit consists of these parts required to do the swap:

R14 Frame Rails (Left and Right side)
R14 billet frame blocks
Subframe Bolts/washers
LHD RB26 steering rack
Transmission Mount
Frame side Transmission Mount-plate
Front Upper-Control-Arm Structure (Upper Shock mounts)
Lower Shock mounts
1-piece Driveshaft (Aluminum or Steel)
1/2" Eye-to-Eye Coilovers - Moton or Koni (Circletrack or Road Race style heim-mounted)

Here is how it all works, and enough instructions to get you going:

First, start by getting the R32 GTR clip fully disassembled. We will be using almost every major component from this clip. Keep all the suspension control arms, brakes, hubs and bolts sorted, with their respective hardware. The engine and transmission should be inspected and it is recommended to refresh it - new timing belt, clutch, oil pump, etc. At this point, the subframe should be unbolted from the motor mounts and then cleaned/prepped for the swap....

to be continued. Thanks for the interest in the R14 conversions!

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Congrats on the shootout. I'll be watching with much geekiness the conversion process

MRDOBNS

geoff you are my hero, that is all

Return to “240sx General Discussion”