Fuel Economy

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
gmansyz
Car: 2016, Nissan Versa Note

Hello Douginaz,
Yes, I think the same there. I just was not going to post that I do my own thing. Even spill a little gas in the process. Just continue on as before.
Laters
G

gmansyz

Alrighty, new today. 31.73 mpg.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I like these higher numbers and how they seem to be more consistent. Makes me wonder where those 28 mpg numbers were coming from. I mean why, not where.

gmansyz

Newest is 31.51 mpg. And am bummed as the HPS intake kit is back ordered at least four months!!
Laters
G

als14versa
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa Sedan w 5 spd trans

My 2014 Versa Sedan 5 spd has been getting 44 mpg for months .

als14versa

The weirdest thing about this is Ive also been driving a manual trans 44 yrs .

gmansyz

als, there are many factors affecting fuel economy. Sounds like you are strictly driving the freeway? Mine is including some city plus, I am heavy on throttle application. I have poor response so I just hit it hard. With 109 horsepower, it really does not go anywhere quickly. Though it is really liking the cool air now.
Are you calculating your fuel mileage or going by the gauge?
Laters
G

als14versa

Ok, but its highway and city avg, im an uber driver , I do drive for economy

gmansyz

Okay.

gmansyz

The older cars do get better fuel economy. The emissions limits are getting tighter. Because of this, the power is going down as well.
How is driving for Uber?
Laters
G

gmansyz

Okay, newest fuel filling is 30.81 mpg average.

gmansyz

As of 3080 miles, got 31.12 mpg.
Finally got my HPS intake kit. Installed it yesterday. Was really hoping for better response and more torque. Got a lot of noise and a more top end power.
I liked the cold air until I had the six month service done. I swear they downloaded a softer program into the computer as since then, beginning of December, if felt different. May explain why the intake kit did very little.
Now to save for the coil overs. Then a cat back exhaust. Followed by the Bully Dog tuner. Hope that will help. Wheels, when the tires are worn. I think 17 x 7. With 215/45R17 tires. I like Continentals.
The car is okay but I am kicking myself as there were and are better choices out there.
Laters
G

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Sounds like a plan. You think they remapped your computer? Did you ask them? What can you do with the BD tuner?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

'The older cars do get better fuel economy. The emissions limits are getting tighter. Because of this, the power is going down as well.'

That is totally incorrect, the emissions changes of the last few years have NOT impacted power virtually at all, in fact a couple (wideband and VCT) have raised it tremendously. The cars continue to get lighter in weight as well although in my mind that is why so much more parts breakage occurs on parts that for 70 years never broke at all.

They do NOT use software to disable power in cars like one thinks they do and that comes from somebody (me) who suspects literally every single thing a car company does. The software will have 500 different scenarios in it to make the most power they know how to. Name just ONE engine that has come out lately that has DROPPED in the factory hp rating, they all tend to go UP. Nissan may change a few minor parameters of software but nothing major as the software was part of the package the car used to get rated by EPA and they cannot legally change that just on a whim as any major change requires a complete recertification of the tune.

This is like that higher up mis-statement where somebody claimed the not overfilling was for external spills ONLY and absolutely WRONG, they can deny your evap emission warranty on the spot if you slip to them you routinely overfill the tank. Some cars flood the carbon canister easier than others but that's no reason to be silly about it. I've had to change the canisters because of it, they are full of fuel and they are supposed to be dry at all times, intended to suck up vapor ONLY. The cars will get evap and can even get overrich DTCs over it.

gmansyz

Okay, I disagree. Think Hyundai and Kia Rio's. For 2018 power went down to 130 from 138.
Yes, cars keep getting heavier even though the factories are trying to make them lighter. Between all the luxury, safety, and emissions equipment, they become heavier. It usually takes a full redesign to lighten them up.
I have not gotten around to contact the dealer to see if there was a software upgrade applied. Does not really matter though, as once I get the Bully Dog Tuner, I plan to overwrite whatever is in the computer anyway. They say they have 10 levels, so I plan to start with the lowest one and work my way up to the super unleaded version last. BD even reccomends pulling your nodded tube out before going to the dealer. As the dealer will overwrite it. They are preset tunes. Controlling cam timing, fueling, and ignition advance. Not as fully adjustable as some aftermarket tuning software.
Why would you ever think that the dealer would not install new software? Doesn't windows install updates all the time???? Or Volkswagons diesel problems. There were software along with hardware updates to fix the diesels.
No if, I mean IF, th evap canister ever does get fuel in it, I will fix it myself. Not a big deal even though I do not really want to work on the car. I plan to keep doing what I am doing.
May even get the tuner before the the lowering kit.
It is 32 degrees outside now. Perfect for driving.
Laters
G

gmansyz

Modded Tune!

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

'Why would you ever think that the dealer would not install new software?'

I never said that for one, only that they cannot mod it heavily as each car must hit EPA standards by passing a 50,000 mile emissions test before the cars can even be put on our streets. Anything modded by a dealer that blows that result is against federal law. Think VW, and now possibly Ford too. Modded tunes are a $10,000 fine if the government ever chooses to enforce that. Any OEM software that simply fixes a problem does not fall under that unless the fix violates emission law.

Power can go down when a same engine gets put in another model that has different exhaust or intake plumbing, that does not change the fact the engine is in the same tune and at the same power output as before. Just a rating number changed there and nothing else. Minor changes happen like that all day long, the engines themselves did not technically drop though. And sometimes the exact same power engine gets zero mods but just a different power rating to emphasize maybe lower torque for a specific reason. Take Ford zetec fours, they have like 5 power ratings for the exact same 2 liter engine. Motorcycles do the same thing.

'It usually takes a full redesign to lighten them up.'

Not necessarily. I bought cars in pairs for a long time but NOT the same year model, and you can see the evolution of lightening on them going on from year to year, typically the FIRST one is the heaviest, then they begin to trim more and more weight as the later models show up. That process is commonly tied to a simplicity one as well. Like can we get away with 3 bolts holding this part on instead of 4 and the like, three part subassemblies will turn into one part but looks the same, etc. The onward moving lightening process clearly is a cheapening one as far as cost as well. Meaning they refine cheapness as they move forward and it never stops. Can't count the number of metal parts I saw that on later models of the exact same car then turned into plastic ones. Then the next year plastic one used even less plastic with say lightening holes now put in it where none were before. Makes part cheaper as to material cost AND lighter. Why again so many dependable parts before now break routinely, it also adds parts sales where there were none before. Bonuses are commonly paid to assembly line workers that are smart enough to figure out how to drop parts not needed that slow up assembly, why so many pop fasteners get used in the first year model they they start skipping say every other one later on, you can see it in car after car. The bonus is for saving the company money while not hurting the car's initial quality. Of course it causes more issues later as the car gets older but another way they convince owners to buy a new car.......the nuisance breakage issue, or one that does not put the car where it cannot be used, only frustrates the owner slow enough that the issues build up to make them desire a new car.

Bully tells you to remove the tune as the OEM software will recognize changes right off the bat and any warranty you had there just went out the window. Many dealers will simply refuse to work on a car with a tune, they cannot warranty any work done on one after the fact as the tune has already destroyed any warranty.

And, uh, Windows does ZERO updates on any of my stuff now, I'm smart enough to recognize that putting all my stuff on the cloud is NOT good for me. But then I build my own machines and have some idea of what is going on there. Windows 8 and later was more for them than you..................

gmansyz

I started this post to share the ups and downs, joys and frustrations along with gleaning some information on my first new Nissan car.
amc49, I do not know your background or knowledge base, but you comments are not saying anything.

amc49, you have not helped but turned this into a shouting match so I ask you kindly, please stop posting.
Thank you.
G

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Nobody shouting at all, you just are ill-informed like so many others who then get mad when they don't see people chiming in with them. The world however does not work like that. I have never paid for a car repair my entire life and have plenty to offer you if only you don't get po'ed. Everything I posted is factually correct and if you look you will find it in 50 other places on the net. If people give you something and then you don't glean it, who does that hurt? Certainly not me. If you post something that is incorrect others see that and take it as right and it only spreads the ignorance. I mean no insult with that at all but it is what it is. Millions do that all day long and why so many cars are messed up and stay that way.

I built American Motors race cars back in the '70s and all the way up to 700 cubic inch bigblock 200+ mph prostock race cars among other things, I pretty much know what I'm talking about. I drove and wrenched Fords for 35+ years as well and everything on them including engine and transmission rebuilds, nobody else ever touches my cars. 3 and usually 4 running 100% of the time for the last 35 years as well. New to Nissan but that doesn't matter, they are cars just like any other and easy. Just figured out how to put a huge oil filter on my Versa as versus the puny little OEM one that is not even worth putting on the cars.

Walk away from help and advice like that if you want, it only proves what I said at the very first.

Why I so often say on other car sites..........fix the driver first, then fixing the car becomes so much easier. Our favorite saying when I was working at the family garage.

I'll leave you alone.

gmansyz

I started a new thread as I continue the adventure with the Bully Dog tuner.
Any idea where I can find a stainless header for this 1600 engine.
Please delete this posting.
Tnx
G

BIGGUNDOCTOR
Car: 2007 versa cvt 128,000

I bought a 2007 Versa with 107,000 miles and a CVT and a 70 mile each way commute.. The best I could ever wring out of it was 33 at 55mph. Above 55mph 32 mpg. Very disappointed in this car as I could easily knock of 40 mpg in my 1998-99 S-series Saturn wagons.

gmansyz

Aha! See, I am not the only one disappointed in the Versa. My last tank was only 29mpg.
Oh well. I am looking for a nice stainless steel header to start my exhaust off.
Anyone know where to get one?
Tnx
G

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”