Fuel Cap Lock

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

philipa_240sx wrote:IMHO, a remote release gas door isn't a deterrent. It's easily defeated with a screwdriver or a pry bar.
True... however, as my mother used to say, locks only keep the honest people honest.

If nothing else I prefer to have a locking gas door to keep kids from screwing around... i.e. dropping or dumping something into the gas tank just because they can. Granted... if someone wants to steal your gas... a flimsy fuel door certainly isn't going to stop them. Considering the damage a pry bar could do to your paint job... it might be painful to loose a tank of gas, but a lot less painful than having to file an insurance claim and have your car repainted.

For that matter its the same with a locking gas cap... (keeps the honest people honest) they are going to stop a determined crook. A good pair of Groove Joint Pliers will have that cap off in a heart-beat.

I guess the safest route (to protect your vehicle from damage) would be a non-locking fuel door like we have on the Rogue... (so anyone can open it), but... a locking gas cap to deter the kids and crooks prepared to siphon gas but don't have the proper tools to pull off a locking gas gap. Hopefully they'll just move to the next car.

The only problem with this approach is the Rogues temperamental reaction to gas caps and the check engine light when the gas cap isn't "just right"
Modified by Elton Noway at 9:31 AM 6/17/2009

RO-G
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

So far so good ... the check engine light does not appear on my dash.

The main reason I put a locking fuel cap is prevent vandalism - someone from putting water or other materials inside the gast tank.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

I have had a Stant locking gas cap on my Rogue for over a year now with no "check engine light" problems whatsoever. I always turn it 6 to 8 clicks when puting it back on just to make sure it's on tight....

janelllucas
Car: Nissan Rogue SL 2009

I moved from Altima to Maxima to Rogue. Never occured to me that ANYONE would make a vehicle without at least a deterrent to the gas tank. I had my gas syphoned and live in a good neighborhood. Within a few more days we located a locking gas cap. A few days later we noticed the service light was on. Read the book and found it was likely due to the gas cap not being tight enough/right/etc. Today I asked if Nissan had a locking gas cap for this vehicle and was told they did not.

We did try a stant, but it wasn't the #10508. I'll likely order that one online and see if the light stays off then -- but I am totally blown away with the fact that someone designed a vehicle in today's high price economy without some deterrent to keep people out of the gas tank. I've never had anyone syphon gas before this -- not in 30+ years! This is definately something they need to fix IMHO.
thekingbozo wrote:Hi all,

I just got a Rogue this weekend and loving it so far.

However, I find it annoying that there is no lock on the fuel cap/lid, naturally this is a concern for me since I don't have garage parking. I am looking to pick out a replacement cap with lock available, however, I am not sure if there are any specifications to it. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

^+1......How could Nissan not have addressed this issue? THE GAS DOOR SHOULD BE OPENED FROM INSIDE THE VEHICLE!

philipa_240sx

I still stand by the fact that a remotely opened fuel door doesn't offer much protection. If someone wants the fuel bad enough, a screwdriver can be used to pry it open in seconds. I would rather someone steal a $30-40 in gas than damage the paint/body of my vehicle

A locking fuel cap is the best solution available. I don't know of any mfg. that offers 'locking' fuel caps from the factory.

clev
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I purchased a locking cap for my diesel van and inquired at the dealership about one for the Rogue. The service manager in San Marcos told me that there is a ????screen??? or some type of blockage in the filler neck that will prevent syphoning tubes from being installed. Also, I think we have a plastic gas tank and I've read/heard reports of thieves punching holes in the tanks to drain it into a bucket. In that case a locking cap would be useless.

philipa_240sx

clev wrote:Also, I think we have a plastic gas tank and I've read/heard reports of thieves punching holes in the tanks to drain it into a bucket.
You are correct, the gas tank in the Rogue is plastic as are most nowadays.

odo

Sorry for bumping this old post but does anyone know where I can buy a Stant locking gas cap in Vancouver, BC? Just got a 2010 Rogue and didn't notice the fact that the gas cap is freely accessible

Thanks

Father Biff
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

You can get one at any carquest dealer.. although you want to check with your Nissan dealer first. I got a Stant cap that was listed for the 2010 Rogue, but it didn't fit properly.. it turns out that Nissan changed the gas cap design in last quarter builds of 09.. Easy way is check your production date on your VIN sticker. If its late 09, it probably wont fit.

Qashqai

I checked Amazon.com and 2011 Rogue is not listed as eligible models for #10508 Gas Cap. Do you think the gas caps for 2011 Rogue is same with older models?? With $9.66 it is a good deal.

philipa_240sx

Qashqai wrote:I checked Amazon.com and 2011 Rogue is not listed as eligible models for #10508 Gas Cap. Do you think the gas caps for 2011 Rogue is same with older models?? With $9.66 it is a good deal.
Nissan has been using this same gas cap design on all Nissan and Infiniti's since 2000. I don't think there have been any changes for 2011. But the only way to know for sure is to buy one!

JRinGeorgia
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL

The 10508 does not fit 2011 Rogues. I've even called Stant to check. Another member said that Stant part #11508 does fit the '11, I'm going to try that one.

Qashqai

JRinGeorgia wrote:The 10508 does not fit 2011 Rogues. I've even called Stant to check. Another member said that Stant part #11508 does fit the '11, I'm going to try that one.

Hi Jr,

Did you try the #11508?

philipa_240sx

JRinGeorgia wrote:The 10508 does not fit 2011 Rogues. I've even called Stant to check. Another member said that Stant part #11508 does fit the '11, I'm going to try that one.
According to my research online, Stant part # 11508 and 10508 are exactly the same. Many online auto parts stores list them as cross/compatible as well. The only difference was the packaging. Stant no longer lists the 11508 on their website which suggests it may not be available any more.

Although I have not used these locking gas caps, according the to posts in this thread they have been tricky to use and in some cases fit poorly.

All I can suggest is to try another one to see if it fits better.

JRinGeorgia

I tried the #11508 and it does not fit my '11 Rogue. The shank -- or whatever you call the part that fits inside the top of the gas tank -- is longer on the #11508 than on the cap that comes with the vehicle.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Speaking for myself only, I too missed the locking gas cap initially.

But after 20,000 miles I realized that I didn't really miss it. I really don't come across any bad areas or neighborhoods for that matter. Hence, my vehicle is not really in a position to be tampered with. So for at least in my case, I guess a locking gas cap is not really relevant.

Also after a few missteps, I finally got use to having the gas tank on the passenger side. Like they said, you don't have to worry about slamming the driver's door into the island. So that's nice.

And most people wont know its a locking gas cap unless your usually a Rogue owner. And you really look at the little hump on the gas door to open it.

So it really pertains to the environmental factors because even with high gas prices, at least in my area I never heard of people stealing gas or tampering with the tank.

Maybe others who have unfortunate mishaps could chime in. :cool:

Black B15

Thread revival! Thought I could help out anyone else looking for a Stant locking gas cap on a newer rogue (late 2009-2012).

I am looking for a locking gas cap since I too am slightly dismayed by the lack of a fuel door that latches. Anyway, per the stant website it shows the part # for the 2012 Nissan Rogue is 10504, or what would also be a 11504.

So to whomever said that Nissan redesigned the Rogues' gas cap in late 2009...it appears you are correct sir. I am going to get a Stant 10504 or 11504 (both the same thing) and let you guys know.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I have been using this one for 3 years without a problem. 2009 AWD SL

http://www.courtesyparts.com/stant-lock ... _7713_7715&

Black B15

darylzero wrote:I have been using this one for 3 years without a problem. 2009 AWD SL

http://www.courtesyparts.com/stant-lock ... _7713_7715&
That is the 10508 or also known as the 11508 stant locking cap. Apparently that is only for mid 2009 and older Rogue's. Late 09 to the present should be the 10504 or 11504, per the stant website.

I went ahead and purchased one and should be here tomorrow.

Black B15

11504 or 10504 definitely works for the 2012 Rogue. Easy enough to remove the stock plastic tie and gas cap. Drove about 2 miles to make sure no SES light from lack of pressure in the fuel tank.....all is well. Cap seals and locks as it should.

jcircus
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:I still stand by the fact that a remotely opened fuel door doesn't offer much protection. If someone wants the fuel bad enough, a screwdriver can be used to pry it open in seconds. I would rather someone steal a $30-40 in gas than damage the paint/body of my vehicle

A locking fuel cap is the best solution available. I don't know of any mfg. that offers 'locking' fuel caps from the factory.
I agree with philipa... It takes less than 5 seconds to pry off those cheap stant gas caps, with a large crow-bar. I would rather loose $50 in gas, than pay $500 deductable to have the body repaired after a theft. 99% of gas theives are expecting locking caps or locking gas doors and carry the tools with them. but if it makes you feel better :dblthumb:

Black B15

jcircus wrote:
philipa_240sx wrote:I still stand by the fact that a remotely opened fuel door doesn't offer much protection. If someone wants the fuel bad enough, a screwdriver can be used to pry it open in seconds. I would rather someone steal a $30-40 in gas than damage the paint/body of my vehicle

I agree with philipa... It takes less than 5 seconds to pry off those cheap stant gas caps, with a large crow-bar. I would rather loose $50 in gas, than pay $500 deductable to have the body repaired after a theft. 99% of gas theives are expecting locking caps or locking gas doors and carry the tools with them. but if it makes you feel better :dblthumb:
It takes less than 5 seconds to throw a brick through your window, but you still roll them up and lock the doors. Point is, most theives are looking for an easy score. As someone already said, a lock just keeps an honest man honest....any lock or alarm can be defeated relatively quickly for someone with the right knowledge.

I know someone can easily get into my car if they want, but I still keep locking the doors.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Found this on a Ford site, would have included a link but the site's now blocked by my antivirus program.
Quote: Originally Posted by dlenkewich
>Aren't most vehicles now-a-days equiped with measures to prevent syphoning right from the factory? I'd believe that's why people resort to cutting the filler neck now.

If they want your gas, they'll try and take it whatever way they can. I got hit once in a place you'd never think someone would try it (Nice business community). They did all sorts of damage just to walk away with no fuel. (Cut my filler neck, stole/chucked my gas cap, cut the fuel line and gouged the tank.) Unless you armor the whole fuel system, there's no full-proof way to ensure it won't be damaged in a fuel theft attempt.<

Reply: Yes, most vehicles have anti-siphoning design built into them.
Just like a padlock though, in that it will only keep honest people honest..

stratocaster
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Black B15 wrote:11504 or 10504 definitely works for the 2012 Rogue. Easy enough to remove the stock plastic tie and gas cap. Drove about 2 miles to make sure no SES light from lack of pressure in the fuel tank.....all is well. Cap seals and locks as it should.
Just bought my 2012 Rogue SV AWD Premium. I ordered the Stant 11504 and will be installing it soon. What did you use to take the original cap off of the plastic tie? Were you able to put the Stant Cap onto the tie?

Still working well and no lights?

Thanks!

Black B15

stratocaster wrote:
Black B15 wrote:11504 or 10504 definitely works for the 2012 Rogue. Easy enough to remove the stock plastic tie and gas cap. Drove about 2 miles to make sure no SES light from lack of pressure in the fuel tank.....all is well. Cap seals and locks as it should.
Just bought my 2012 Rogue SV AWD Premium. I ordered the Stant 11504 and will be installing it soon. What did you use to take the original cap off of the plastic tie? Were you able to put the Stant Cap onto the tie?

Still working well and no lights?

Thanks!
Oh yeah, works perfectly....no SES light or anything like that.

There isn't any way to get the plastic tie onto the stant cap, so you can either leave it hang or you can carefully remove it. If you take a flat head screw driver and pull up on that plastic tie...you will see it is held in with two little tabs....press em in and that plastic tie and gas cap pops right off.

stratocaster
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Thanks!

I will try this tonight and post my results later on.

insomnia816
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Instead of getting the fuel cap to work and worry about the SES lights up, why not just do a simple lock mechanism that locks and unlocks the fuel door using the remote? Here's the photo all of us wishes for~ :)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

:rotfl

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

How to install Fuel door/Remote mod kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_cJiRDHxo

Return to “Rogue Forum”