Front wheel bearings howto

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Doh!
lol, can’t believe that didn’t register - in.lb. vs ft.lb. (I would have pulled on that scale until it blew apart -lol)
I have too much going on and need to focus on one thing instead of multitasking.

I only picked out that particular ‘lab’ scale because monkey see picture in FSM and it look same thing on amazon.
I guess you’re saying a ‘digital’ (fish) scale would be the better choice?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

fixer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:22 pm
I guess you’re saying a ‘digital’ (fish) scale would be the better choice?
Not really. I just wouldn't take that fragile looking lab scale fishing with me. It'll work just fine. I simply would choose one that I could toss into a tool box, or tackle box, without concern that it might get broke against a wrench or pliers or whatever you take those hooks out with.

fixer3

13 in. lb. seems like you could just snug it with your hand on the socket then perform starting-force tests to verify ? edit- I just caught the logic problem with that.
Guessing it's better to torque on the high side of spec range as parts only wear.

I did find this Tekton In. Lb. that goes to 10in. lb. - https://tinyurl.com/Tekton10inlb

fixer3

Follow up -
Finally had some time last Saturday to change bearings, races, rotors & pads.
Really appreciate the guidance I got here.

Very smooth quiet ride now. Feels effortless too.
The drivers knuckle / spindle metal looks to have been tempered / discolored by the bad bearing.
Discolored bands on knuckle feel perfectly smooth to finger touch but I don’t know if this now creates some metallurgical issue and it’s only a matter of time before new bearing(s) wear prematurely ? https://imgur.com/a/OAlgg2m

I went to remove the drivers side bearing nut with a pick (rather optimistic of me), like I saw in the movies videos, and ended up needing a breaker bar and hub socket to loosen. I estimate it took about 40 ft. lbs. to break free. About the same for passenger side. (Was told previous owner always took vehicle to local Firestone for brakes … and my neighbor had the audacity to ask why I was doing the work myself).

Improvised with some plastic & aluminum pipe for some tasks, but glad I bought a bearing grease packer (speedy when you have limited time), hub socket, torque wrenches, brushless impact gun, caliper spreader. I did bleed all the brakes the day before just to prep.

Unlike videos I saw: I first separated the hub from old rotor. Brushed metal, then reassembled the old rotor back again to the hub (3 snugged bolts) so I could beat on the assembly to punch/seat parts. Only after large bearing, races & grease seal were fitted did I install new rotor(s). (copper anti-seize applied - but in my climate I don't need it). Reluctor wheels were caked in crud making me think metallic items could embed and fool abs sensor so I cleaned them up a bit for my own peace of mind whether it actually was necessary at all. https://imgur.com/a/YfR9kVG

Gloves on for the first side, bare hands and 4 times as fast for the passenger side.

Basic daily driver parts. Bedded pads… never heard of bedding pads before and have n-e-v-e-r seen any brake shop I've visited do this (especially not 30 reps). But I did it ‘by the book’, occasionally using hand brake to full stop if I needed to. Brakes feel good, work well.

Acquiring torque wrenches taught me that I’ve been over tightening everything all my life.
All in all a huge weight off my shoulders. Tools, knowledge and experience gained for other repairs.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”