Front Struts Dilemma

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
efroubi
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30t

My front struts are so bad.. I'm no mechanic and seeing the pictures in this thread scare me. :ohno:

removing-oem-cartridge-from-front-strut-t584131.html :tisk:

I've done the rear struts, timing belt, main seal, cam seals, power steering rack, power steering pump, alternator, water pump, thermostat, rotors, pads, belts, EGR pipe cleaning, spark plugs, and I also changed the passenger side front strut mount a year ago because the bb's came out. But this has me all stressed out.. Its my daily driver. I feel I'm going to run into an issue and not have a car for a few days. My plan is to do one side each day so I can use the car the next day.

I bought KYB's 365056 because I couldn't find Monroe 73948 anywhere.

Anyone know which boots I need? Amazon says KYB SB104's are frequently purchased with 365056's.
Anyone have a shim size I'll need on the top? I bought the copper shims mentioned in the other thread but those won't work on the 365056's. They fit but only leave like 3 threads showing. No good.

Any advice? :poke:

macgiver

mac, it sounds like time is a real constraint for you , but I'll tell you briefly (more detail in my post several mo's ago). 93 J30 , front strut as one-piece,welded to spindle has at the top a silver ,threaded "spanner" type cap holding the piston/ seals in place.Yeah my front was soggy ,bouncing :tisk:I used spring compressor(hook type with long allthread-bolts) after taking strut tower nuts off and tie-rod end thus hanging outwards @ about 45 degrees.When I twisted off the cap w/460 Channellocks - insides came out - the "Factory oil fill"was (after 20years) thick , coagulated, had small clumps. Cleaned up ALL w/Brakleen - blow-off any orifices with compressed-air , let dry ,then filled with Solder SEAL Jack oil,instructions said "suitable for struts,shocks,motorcycle tubes etc." I estimated fill depth w/wire and filled an additional 25cc's.I got stiffer than stock , nice tight fr. end and "flatter cornering" for 2 bottles @ $ 4.99 ea :rotflmao G 4/5/2018

efroubi

macgiver wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 pm
mac, it sounds like time is a real constraint for you , but I'll tell you briefly (more detail in my post several mo's ago). 93 J30 , front strut as one-piece,welded to spindle has at the top a silver ,threaded "spanner" type cap holding the piston/ seals in place.Yeah my front was soggy ,bouncing :tisk:I used spring compressor(hook type with long allthread-bolts) after taking strut tower nuts off and tie-rod end thus hanging outwards @ about 45 degrees.When I twisted off the cap w/460 Channellocks - insides came out - the "Factory oil fill"was (after 20years) thick , coagulated, had small clumps. Cleaned up ALL w/Brakleen - blow-off any orifices with compressed-air , let dry ,then filled with Solder SEAL Jack oil,instructions said "suitable for struts,shocks,motorcycle tubes etc." I estimated fill depth w/wire and filled an additional 25cc's.I got stiffer than stock , nice tight fr. end and "flatter cornering" for 2 bottles @ $ 4.99 ea :rotflmao G 4/5/2018
Interesting! Thanks!

Just read your post:
post6757301.html#p6757301

And found this one:
strut-rebuild-t597480.html

I think I'll give it a shot! 50/50 chance it works. Can't get any worse. :rotfl

efroubi

Alright I'm in it! And now confused. The other post said the whole cartridge came out. I can't get mine out.. Did yours come out? Or did you just fill yours via the little holes?

macgiver

mac,that definately has to come out, and (was 13 years ago) I believe when I got that far I tried pulling out the tubes by tie wiring a weight on the pistons like a "dent-puller" , unless you want to try re-attaching the top threaded piston back onto strut tower w/spring cap and applying down-pressure or heavy hits to knuckle to get that big washer w/ two orifices past the inside threads.

efroubi

macgiver wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm
mac,that definately has to come out, and (was 13 years ago) I believe when I got that far I tried pulling out the tubes by tie wiring a weight on the pistons like a "dent-puller" , unless you want to try re-attaching the top threaded piston back onto strut tower w/spring cap and applying down-pressure or heavy hits to knuckle to get that big washer w/ two orifices past the inside threads.
Thanks mac! From my research some were welded in and the only way to get them out is with a chisel.. :mad:

Mine were toast tho.. not a drop of oil came out. The seals are bad. Gland nut also had a partially exposed spring. Don't think I'd be saving them.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. I put it all back together until I figure it out. I wrote Monroe about their 73948's but haven't heard back.

macgiver

mac,hey man that's too bad , when I did mine (93 J ) I believe I exhausted ALL avenues for inserts like KYB etc. and we're NOW hearing these other posts' Parts #'s - hope that's a NEW option these days for you :tisk:

utcraze
Car: 1997 J30

I just finished replacing my ‘97 J30 struts with KYB 365056. I tried the $500+ OEM struts in Dec 2016 but in 8 months the seals blew and oil filled the chamber. I had a machine shop turn bearings to fit the KYB’s in the housing and mount, so for $250 total it rides so much better!
Dont remember how to post pictues

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”