Front AC Blower Motor Replacement

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
RACQuest
Car: 2009 Quest SE

Hi All,

I have a 2009 Quest SE that requires the replacement of the front A/C Blower Motor. It seems excessive but the Service manual indicates the dismantling of most of the Dash to access the motor. Is there a more reasonable way to replace this front blower motor.

Thank you
RACQuest

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

That sounds about right, they're pretty buried under dash with the heater vent stuff. You can try to cut corners by removing just the glove box and working into that hole, but you'll not have the room for hands and tools that you would have if you pulled the rest of the stuff out. That and sliding some parts out over others won't work sometimes without removing other things. It's often easier to go through many simple steps than to go through a few complicated steps. Unless someone else pipes in with a shortcut, I'd plan to follow the FSM. Good luck!

PS - Welcome to NICO Club.

PPS - please don't post the same question in multiple places. Choose a spot and post once, then give it some time to get a response. I'll delete your one duplicate post and leave the other in case Marcellus replies to you.

PoMansVan
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

I've seen some pretty brutal DIY repairs on other make/model vehicles where it was easier to cut through HVAC plenums to get at certain components, then seal it back up by silicone sealing those sections back together. I've only dabbled with the cabin air filter on my 2016 quest, but the much of the HVAC system looks OK to get at from under the passenger side and center console.

Inlaws recently had a mouse build a nest in the blower housing of their late model Nissan Rogue. It rattled and vibrated like crazy. The dealer charged them something nuts like $300 to get it out. Leased Rogue too.

RACQuest
Car: 2009 Quest SE

Hi All,

After reading as much on this subject as possible, I see no way to get the unit out without removing the center dash with nearby components and interior. As I see it, the unit is a double squirrel blower with the motor in the center and mounted across the back top of the unit. I have tried to follow the flow of disassembly per the Service Manual and often find I am lost after jumping from section to section. Additionally, the manual seems to indicate that you must disconnect and discharge the AC as well as drain the cooling system. Although I appreciate the engineering involved, I would not purchase another Nissan if this is their idea of good design and maintainability...or are these motors never to fail?

Since the rear blower has also failed and is much easier to access, I intend to replace that unit first before attempting the front dash unit. I have gone through most of the circuit and testing seems to indicate that the motors or a connection near the motor is faulty in each case. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to address either unit's replacement to resolve these issues. By the way, has anyone had these units fail or is this a rare problem?

Thanks,
Ray

PoMansVan
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

Ray, this is probably a dumb question at this point, but are you certain it's the blower motor that's bad? Did it squeal or make noise before it stopped working?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I'd be going there too, might not be the blower, a simple 12 volt jumper rig to the plug on it verifies that. Could be like the blower resistor too. What about fuse and any possible relay? Even the control switch can do it depending on how the circuit runs, the blower switch on a Focus will do that. Don't assume you have ground there either, some ground through the resistor rather than the motor, making the circuit backwards as many normally see them.

Bear in mind if harness has melted you can have 12 volts to a part yet it not run while being in perfect shape. If say a 40 filament wire is severed to only have 2 filaments still good then a voltmeter will still show you as having voltage there but your part won't work because even though you have volt you have no amp. Been there on an a/c blower before.

Return to “Quest Forum”