First long trip

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
o07wray
Car: 2020 Nissan LEAF SL Plus

Went from jacksonville fl to Mt. Dora fl ( aprox 148 miles ) Most travel was via I-95 and I-4.. 2 1/2 hrs....used CHARGE HUB and used its filters to find CHAdeMO type fast chargers, found one in Stanford fl .. had 46% before charge, 20min had 96% and cost 9.75.. went on to Mt. Dora and spent time with family... drove around to thrift stores, lunch ... dinner .. then left to go to the hotel in Wildwood fl that had a CHAdeMO fast charger.. It was free if you are a hotel guest. I had 38% and charged to 98% in 31min...Drove home via US-301 ( not a interstate) with lots of red lights and constant speed limit changes.. but lots of thrift stores and flea markets to plunder..got home with 31%!!

Over all I'd say it was a good trip... we ate breakfast wile it charged in Stanford, and ate breakfast at the hotel ( another room perk ) wile it charged again..

Haven't been to a gas station to get gas ,, have saved $1,000's since we bought it 7 month ago!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sweet. Here in Arkansas, range has always been the Leaf's downfall (yah, it's autumn, pun intended). Once you exit the Little Rock metro, all the nearby towns south and west are 35, 45, 55 miles distant. When an older Leaf lost a bar or two, those round trips were pushing it, and coming up short meant 4+ hours on a level 2 charger just to make sure you got home. The Plus will make those trips standing on its head, and with a fast charger there's no worries even if you come up short.

Not to mention, I'm sure nobody beat you off a stoplight. The old Leafs would already snap your neck. I don't think anything short of a rocket will beat a Plus for the first 50 feet. :biggrin:

o07wray
Car: 2020 Nissan LEAF SL Plus

VSTAR: your right about the standing starts..wicked fast.. I have a 1999 S10 with aV8 421cid stroker with 650hp/675ftq,, and the leaf keeps up with it the first 100ft!!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

o07wray wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:36 pm
VSTAR: your right about the standing starts..wicked fast.. I have a 1999 S10 with aV8 421cid stroker with 650hp/675ftq,, and the leaf keeps up with it the first 100ft!!!
To paraphrase an ancient Mazda commercial: Piston engine goes boing-boing-boing, but the Leaf goes Hmmmmmm.
:cool:

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Those fastchargers are incredible!

macgiver

Ya , I hear they're working on a SUPER fast charge system :
Park under 250KV lines , get out , hurl a "line" across one of the low hanging phases , 90 sec's and your ride fully charged , push button on remote retrieves the "line " AND YOUR OFF " :rotfl

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

macgiver wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:21 pm
Ya , I hear they're working on a SUPER fast charge system :Park under 250KV lines , get out , hurl a "line" across one of the low hanging phases , 90 sec's and your ride fully charged , push button on remote retrieves the "line " AND YOUR OFF " :rotfl
Now, now, keep the facts straight. You don't "hurl" anything. That system uses a grenade launcher.
:rotfl

Bellresa
Car: non

I plan on going on my first seven-hour road trip by myself to visit one of my cousins.

Bellresa
Car: non

I plan on going on my first seven-hour road trip by myself to visit one of my cousins. I am female. My car is a base model, and it doesn’t have cruise control. It is, however, in good working order. I have never driven more than four hours by myself before. I’m kinda scared (I’m not really sure if I’m going to drive or fly at this point). It’s 450 miles. I usually traveled by DB Auskunft train if it was a long distance. But as the saying goes, there is a first time for everything.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Dunno what year your Leaf is, but 450 miles will be quite a planning exercise in a base model unless you have the CHAdeMO fast charge port. Otherwise you'll need to plan the trip around L2 chargers in range (and a lot of thumb-twiddling while you charge up, L2's take 4~8 hours). If you do have CHAdeMO, some useful advice:
* In case of trouble, plan ahead to keep Nissan dealerships within a stone's throw and not just L3 charge stations.
* In a pinch, an Infiniti dealer can do most repairs on a Leaf except for the drive motor and transmission. They won't have the most Leaf-specialized equipment, but they can access all the Leaf manuals and bulletins, will have all the normal Nissan special tools, and will probably have an HEV-certified tech on staff.

Also some general advice from a seasoned road warrior:
1) Never miss a piss.
2) Reduce liquid consumption to a minimum (see rule 1).
;)

AlyxVazzz
Car: 2015 Nissan Juke 1.6L

I've logged over 15,000 miles on my Juke since purchasing it new in August of this year. I began in Texas, drove to Oregon, all around Oregon, then to Nevada, northern California, back to Oregon, back to California, and now I'm back in Texas LOL. But it's not done yet, since I still have to go back to Oregon in a few weeks. The Juke has been fantastic; I've had a lot of fun in it. Also did gravel bike trips. The main disadvantage to long-distance driving is the low mpg, tiny fuel tank, and inability to always trust the route chosen by the GPS to be the shortest LOL. In the mountains, the Juke is incredible, and rallying around on dirt/gravel is a lot of fun.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove SPAM link

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

AlyxVazzz wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:23 am
I've logged over 15,000 miles on my Juke since purchasing it new in August of this year. I began in Texas, drove to Oregon, all around Oregon, then to Nevada, northern California, back to Oregon, back to California, and now I'm back in Texas LOL. But it's not done yet, since I still have to go back to Oregon in a few weeks. The Juke has been fantastic; I've had a lot of fun in it. Also did gravel bike trips. The main disadvantage to long-distance driving is the low mpg, tiny fuel tank, and inability to always trust the route chosen by the GPS to be the shortest LOL. In the mountains, the Juke is incredible, and rallying around on dirt/gravel is a lot of fun.
:nono: I call BS.
Unfortunately, this one slipped by.

Return to “Leaf Forum”