Freeze plug replacing

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ddg_bob

Anyone done this? If so, can you describe the procedure to me or direct me to a source? '93 GXE VH engine. These are the three plugs on the top of the block, below the intake.

Thanks

NISTECH

use a screw driver and a hammer. hit it on one side of the plug to spin it in the hole. Grab it with a pair of pliers and yank it out. to install a new one use a socket that just fits inside the outer ring of the freeze plug and tap it in. dont hit it to hard as you could knock it clean through the whole. hit it till the lip of the outer ring is flush with the bottom of the taper around the freeze plug hole.

ddg_bob

Did as you said. Even though I dit it just on one side, all I did was drive the plug deeper. Any suggestions? I'm concerned about driving the plug into the water jacket and never being able to remove it.

Thanks

NISTECH

are you hitting it only on 1 side? If you hit it only on 1 side it will just spin in the hole and you can yank it out with a pair of pliers. It will not simply pull out of the hole once it spins you will need to yank on it hard to pull it back through the hole. If the old plug falls in it wont go far you can just grab it and pull it out.

ddg_bob

Thanks. I finally "persuaded" it out of the block. What I could not see is that there are lips on the block at 12 and 6 O'clock (assuming u are standing at the front and facing the rear of the car). You have to use the punch in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions to get the bugger out.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”