Fixing broken seat bracket.. M35/ M45

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
KongzTT M45
Car: Have a 300zx twin turbo.

Have a 2007 M45 sport.

Honda CBR600rr..

F150 crew cab 5.4 lariat..

a few other things :)

Here are some pics..

Its pretty self explanatory once you get the seat removed. So I apologize this isn't a "step by step".. but i'm sure it'll help someone at least get started.

-Pop off 4 plastic bolt head covers from base of seat mounts. just use a screw driver and they will pop right off.
-Remove several of the electrical conduit zip ties that secure the wiring to under the seat.
-Unplug the 3, electrical connectors..

-Carefully lift the seat up and out.. turning/twisting it as needed to avoid hitting interior door panels or door sill etc. I lifted it by myself.. its about 70lbs (ish).

Here are some pics of me removing what I needed to remove (self explanatory parts).

I used a welding blanket to protect parts I did not want to get burned etc.. Just take your time.

bottom of seat..

Non broken side

Broken side

I removed the Shoulder button allen head cap screws using an M6 socket allen bit.

I removed both upper and lower ones from the whole seat... there are 4 of them total. Two up front of seat the smaller ones. You can probably get away with removing just the two rear bigger ones if that is all you are repairing. but I opted to do all of them and reinforce by using much heavier welds all the way around the pipe/bracket that breaks.

There are several small screws and clips that you need to remove. You will see which ones I am talking about.

Use a pry bar or large screw driver to remove the pipe/bracket away/around the side plates so you can repair the broken weld. Make sure you keep water near by and use a welding blanket to protect the areas you dont want burned!

Zip tie for coolant fan inlet must be cut and duct removed .. just replace it with another regular zip tie when you are re-assembling everything.

Broken factory weld. Clean surfaces off and re-weld the area heavily .. reinforcing with metal tabs or atleast weld all the way around the pipe/bracket so it is stronger than new.

I reinforced and re-welded all the sides to ensure it does not happen again in the future. Let it cool by using a damp/wet rag and let it sit on the pipe or just air dry if you have the time.

It took me about 1hr of my time. I used my Hobart 140 MIG welder. I saved ~$1200 instead of buying a new seat bracket. And at least now I know its stronger than how they are from the factory.

I usually enjoy making "how to" posts.. but this one was pretty simple once you got under the seat so there is no way to really do this one besides seeing in person. I am big on the 300zx forums (Twinturbo.net) and have several How to posts on there..

I'll surely be making more of these since I have recently purchased a 2007 M45 sport.

Here are some pics!

It has NAV and all the cool stuff.. Just got the windows tinted with 30% and windshield done in the clear UV protectant tint. I think my next mod will be Akebono brakes front and rear.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Welcome to NIco! .... and what an entrance LOL. GREAT DIY! Lots of members have posted this very issue. This will be a welcome addition to the FAQ section!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADD THIS DIY TO THE Iliya's FAQ THREAD ???

KongzTT M45

Have a 2007 M45 sport.

Honda CBR600rr..

Thanks larz!

I just picked up some 22s for it as well ..I just posted up on another thread about .. ( post6497254.html#p6497254 )

Love your burbon interior man!

I Am still getting used to this forum layout vs what im used to

axefire
Car: 06 M35x
Umbria Grey/Burbon Interior
Navi
Tech

BRAVO KONGZ!!!!

As Larz said, this problem has plagued many of us, me included. Now I just need to find someone with a mig welder and an hour or 2 to kill!

Illiya, paaaaa-lease! Add this to the FAQ/DIY thread!

WELCOME Kongz!!! And nice M45!

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

KongzTT M45 wrote:Thanks larz!

I just picked up some 22s for it as well ..I just posted up on another thread about .. ( post6497254.html#p6497254 )

Love your burbon interior man!

I Am still getting used to this forum layout vs what im used to
Thanks Kongz! When I was shopping for a used M, I had narrowed it down to a total of 3 beautiful M45's. Then I saw this one by accident and the bourbon interior sank the others immediately! This one was slightly higher in price and I wanted an M45 but when I saw the interior, I didn't even care that this was an M35! I can't work out why Infiniti only offered this for a couple of years. I had only seen that colour leather in a Porsche until then. Now, you can get it almost anywhere BUT Infiniti - even in a <gulp> chevrolet !

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO! And thanks for an excellent post describing a process that does affect some of us ...

Even my older 2003 M45 now has a "broken seat" issue and I am trying to figure out what to do about it - the dealer cost is nearly $1000 to do this job apparently.

Z

KongzTT M45

Have a 2007 M45 sport.

Honda CBR600rr..

Thanks guys!

I am thinking of talking to Coz over at conceptzperformance about a possible group buy on akebono setups for us..is that allowed here? I am not sure how much we would save but I know we have saved alot through Coz and group buys over on the 300zx forums.

Larz did u get my PM about your lights?

Anyone else interested in the group buy possibility? And where would I post about this?

Thanks again for the welcome!

axefire
Navi
Tech

Hey Kongz -

Thank you again for this post. I just pulled my seat out and brought it to a guy who's gonna weld it. I don't have a mig welder nor am I proficient with welding however I'm a total DIY guy...

As you mentioned above, the real concern is disconnecting everything and protecting while welding. It took me about 30 mins to take my seat out, disconnect everything, and load it into my girlfriends FX, and take it around the corner to the welding pro.

After looking closely at the design of the mount, we determined the main issue/weakness is the one side where the motor is - This takes the brunt of the stress as you raise/lower your seat. We determined the best re-enforcement is the back welds, both sides. The front welds are different and are not reliant on a bent bracket welded to the bar. So we just re-enforcing the rear welds.

If you search thru this forum you'll see I've been suffering for a LONG time with this problem. I even made a wooden stand for the back of my seat to rest on so I can see over the steering wheel (I'm only 5'7 so) :facepalm: . Ponderous dude!

While most believe this is a safety issue (I do too) it's really not that bad because the welds in the front and the right rear are still in tacked. HOWEVER, the back of the seat does lift up about 4 to 6 inches thus creating a hazard condition if you get into a bad front end collision because the seat belt will lock up tight and the weight of the seat and your body will be forced against the seat belt. Stating the obvious sorry.

Kongz, regarding your question on brakes - There's a guy on ebay that everyone here gets their brakes from - drilled slotted zinc coated (rust resistant) rotors and good pads, all 4 wheels for under $200!!! I'm interested in a group discount for akebono but I'm going to try the ebay breaks because they have great reviews here, and you can't beat the price! Here's the link on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-MANY-MODEL ... 1007045564

Also you guys talkin bout the bourbon interior - I have it too, and think it's the nicest interior I've ever seen in any car (IMHO). I LOVE it. Bought my car because the exterior "Umbria Grey" (metallic brown) exterior and the Bourbon interior. I'm bummed cause I'm looking at new Ms but just don't like the colors for exterior and interior! When buying a new M, the LAST thing you do is settle - and if I can't get Blue or Umbria grey with bourbon interior, I dunno what I'm gonna do! :cry:

When my welder is done I'll post the results - I think he'll do a GREAT job, so if anyone in the NJ area has this problem and needs someone to weld, PM me and I'll connect you to Mic (pro welder).

AGAIN!!!! Thank you Kongz!

PEACE
axe

axefire
Navi
Tech

Came out perfect. Had to reset my driver side airbag ECU once I put the seat back together.

Here's how in case anyone runs into the same thing:

air-bag-light-blinking-t560456.html

KongzTT M45

Have a 2007 M45 sport.

Honda CBR600rr..

axefire wrote:Came out perfect. Had to reset my driver side airbag ECU once I put the seat back together.

Here's how in case anyone runs into the same thing:

air-bag-light-blinking-t560456.html

Nice man! Glad it worked out for you!!

zags
Car: '09 M35s "all black everything"

HI All, think I'm just starting to experience the slight seat movement/creeping, moves only very minimally when braking/accelerating.

Just wanted to confirm that this is most likely the culprit and the fix that the OP posted? a broken weld??

axefire
Navi
Tech

Wow been a long time since I was out here! And I STILL have my M!

Anyways, yes...if your seat is lose at all, more than likely this is the culprit ... And the more you move your seat setting the worse it'll get until it snaps and now you lost seat height adjustment as well as a seat that flops up n down.

If you can weld or know someone who can, its an easy fix....

krroller

I have an '07 M45 Sport with this issue. Does anyone know of a good shop to repair this in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

AnnetteB
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35
2004 Chevy Suburban

Anyone have the pics for this repair? I need this done and the photos are not showing up.

tommy747
Car: 2006 M35x

AnnetteB is just did this repair! I do have a PDF of all the photos if you want to send me you email address. It was very easy to do, thanks so much KongzTT!

Shanehsmp
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x - Sold
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

tommy747 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm
AnnetteB is just did this repair! I do have a PDF of all the photos if you want to send me you email address. It was very easy to do, thanks so much KongzTT!
PM sent!

Houndstooth
Car: 2003 M45

tommy747 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm
PM sent.

mdstahl1
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35
2007 Infiniti QX56

PM sent

BryanJ
Car: 2006 M35 Base Umbria Grey

Done. Thank you KongzTT!!!

jedgington
Car: 2006 M35x

I know this thread is old, but this just happened to me. Thanks KongzTT for the write up. The break was just as you described, and the fix was quick with a MIG welder. Now the seat is functional again.

And the airbag reset procedure was also needed. Thanks to axefire for that one.

You guys saved me lots of anxiety, money, and cussing. Thanks again!

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Wish I knew how to weld, this bracket being broken is driving me nuts

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”