Fix Thread turned into Re-build thread! (built rb25 neo)

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
sickness14
Car: 95' S14 SE. RB25 Neo. ARP, Tomei 260's, HX40 Pro, PFC, Synapse, Greddy

Intake mani on. dont mind the cometic gasket packaging where the spark plug cover goes

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

John-boy,
Looking good bro! I may be a bit further than you in a few ways, but behind in at least one (radiator!)
(but I did get fuel rail, injectors, and fuel line all hooked up. but I am finishing up some wiring .. not to be thread jacking ;) )

I can't wait, summer is starting to blow past us! :eek:

sickness14

UPDATES! check it out.

the list is as follows:
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - 1x 3.5 T-bolt clamp
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - 1x 3" silicone coupler (bubble one)
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - 1x 3" T-bolt clamp
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - 90 degree aluminum elbow (tight radius) Vibrant brand 2.5"
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - 95 240sx Driveshaft bolts
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - 95 240sx non abs Clutch master cylinder
  • ORDERED & RECIEVED - A32 Maxima insulators. part# 16636-72P00
  • STILL NEED - 94 TT Z32 PCV valve grommet
  • STILL NEED - SR20 downpipe
  • STILL NEED - Griffin radiator cap
  • STILL NEED - Ground cable on alternator
  • STILL NEED - power cable 4ga through firewall to dist block

check clutch release bearing / fork / wedge collar assembly still worrying me. i guess ill figure out of it's right after i get the clutch system bled out. it seems like the wedge collar was flip flopping from lock to unlock when the clutch was depressed, as i could see through the clutch fork hole in the side of the trans.

pics coming soon.
EDIT 6/17/10
Last edited by sickness14 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:45 am, edited 6 times in total.

sickness14

dftsilvia wrote:hey where did u get ur gasket kit from for the neo engine?
Talk to ricky @ Raw Brokerage. He's got it all :P

www.rawbrokerage.com

There's even a live chat through his site and you can talk to him. Great guy, fast shipping too! check it out.

-John

sickness14

Sil240

Nice!!!!!! John that looks awesome. I need to cleanup my engine bay like that.

l0nestar

Sil240 wrote:Nice!!!!!! John that looks awesome. I need to cleanup my engine bay like that.
You mean; get a bunk motor, several bad heads, decide to do a complete re-wire, drop several grand in parts that don't work, and then finally get something going after a year or two? :confused:

sickness14

Lmao best summary ever

sickness14

hey guys, those of you running top mount setups, what downpipe / up pipe are you using? Im guessing most of its custom.

On ebay... (i know) there's a 3" top mount downpipe for SR S14 and it looks to be the same layout as my old downpipe i had custom made for the RB top mount setup on my old s*** manifold before i got the S-TEC. Im wondering if it would work if i just cut the 5 bolt flange off and welded 3" v-band to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Top-Moun ... 5910wt_941

sickness14

anyone following this?

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

sickness14 wrote:anyone following this?
All the way from Japan :dblthumb:

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

Most guys running top mount turbos have just fabbed up their own downpipes. I luckily have a buddy that will tig weld piping together for dirt cheap. The v-band flanges and clamps are what get expensive.

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

all that potential for power and stock brakes?
hope you have a boat anchor as brake backups.
fab your own dp...its not too too hard to do...hardware is what gets you, pipe is cheap!

sickness14

Carl H wrote:all that potential for power and stock brakes?
hope you have a boat anchor as brake backups.
fab your own dp...its not too too hard to do...hardware is what gets you, pipe is cheap!
lol yea just Z32 front brakes, slotted rotors, SS lines.

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

Maybe I missed it, but what Holset are you running? Also, is that oil feed hole tapped cause I don't see the typical 2 bolt hole fitting pattern on the center section?

sickness14

julio wrote:Maybe I missed it, but what Holset are you running? Also, is that oil feed hole tapped cause I don't see the typical 2 bolt hole fitting pattern on the center section?
HX40 Pro, 7 blade billet wheel, rebuilt properly, everything is brand new minus the bearig housing and turbine housig which are reman. The turbine housing is a divided inlet t4 .85 Garret unit which was machined to accept the hx40 turbo.

l0nestar

I was, but for some reason I don't recieve update emails any longer..

sickness14

l0nestar wrote:
I was, but for some reason I don't recieve update emails any longer..
I think the thread subscriptions got reset wih the forum software update. Laaame

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

sickness14 wrote:HX40 Pro, 7 blade billet wheel, rebuilt properly, everything is brand new minus the bearig housing and turbine housig which are reman. The turbine housing is a divided inlet t4 .85 Garret unit which was machined to accept the hx40 turbo.
Cool beans, same compressor that I have. Interesting option to get a garrett hotside machined to fit. I tried putting a t4 .96 hotside on my HX40 to see how the fitment was. I don't know what trim the turbine housing was for, but it didn't fit very well. The turbine wheel didn't seat far enough into the turbine housing for the exhaust volutes to interact with the turbine wheel as the correct location. Was the mounting surface of the center section->turbine housing machined down on yours or was the HX40 turbine wheel too large in diameter? Also, in my comparison with the garrett turbine housing, the diameter of the center section mounting flange was too small compared to where the turbine housing accepts it. The was too much play.

Also, what about the turbo oil feed, is it tapped? I cannot tell from the pics.

sickness14

The feed is tapped, but no idea what size. I need an adapter

sickness14

hey guys, turns out my throttle position sensor is BONED. just got the urge to test it one day and im not getting any voltage change from opening and closing the throttle body. power FC sensor check shows .4 volts but it doesn't change when its moved.

the wiring on the TPS plug was a** BACKWARDS from previous owner. had the ground and power mixed up.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A USED Q45 TPS FOR SALE? thanks!

-j

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I might have one at the crib John. Im not sue if I used the q45 or the stock 25 tps?? Who is gonna fab up your downpipe?? RJ was able to fit a 50mm under the bonnet of my machine = )

sickness14

meet07 wrote:I might have one at the crib John. Im not sue if I used the q45 or the stock 25 tps?? Who is gonna fab up your downpipe?? RJ was able to fit a 50mm under the bonnet of my machine = )
i got one today from Carl H , drove all the way to charlotte and one speeding ticket later after a 6 hour drive total. It was all worth the trouble to meet the famous Carl H. lol. cool guy for sure.
so how much did he charge you? i went to him to ask him about mine and saw yours in the shop. he wouldnt talk to me and said to email him pictures. i got the impression he didnt want to help so i left. I've got another shop helping with the twin wastegate setup at the moment. i think it'll turn out great. keep me informed!

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

You should have let me know that you was going t check out Carl H. I would have rode along. I need to talk to him about nistune anyways. Me and RJ worked out a deal. Trading A turbo and few extra parts for discounted labor and such. I had to order anouther gate b/c the flange that came with the other gate was a cast material. So im waiting on my vband 50mm to arrive. Ill keep ya informed but im looking at early next week, maybe even this weekend for mine to be up.

Where Did you get that hx40 pro at??

sickness14

meet07 wrote:You should have let me know that you was going t check out Carl H. I would have rode along. I need to talk to him about nistune anyways. Me and RJ worked out a deal. Trading A turbo and few extra parts for discounted labor and such. I had to order anouther gate b/c the flange that came with the other gate was a cast material. So im waiting on my vband 50mm to arrive. Ill keep ya informed but im looking at early next week, maybe even this weekend for mine to be up.

Where Did you get that hx40 pro at??

Got the turbo from a guy with an RB26DETT on ebay, was going to use it in his build but went with a different setup.

ALRIGHT I NEED SOME HELP

Can anyone find me the injector lag specs on the Precision engineering 880cc injectors, 042-0880 model. the website shows the opening and closing specs, but the power FC wants one number to calibrate the larger injector size and i dont know which one of the numbers to enter.

which of the following is the stock injector specs in the neo. im getting tired of people telling my 4 different things. can anyone verify?

RB25DET NEO - 370cc - 0.7ms
RB25DET NEO - 380cc - 0.6ms
RB25DET NEO - 380cc - 0.7ms ? WTF

Old SIZE / New Size = Correction
New Latency - Old Latency = Latency Correction

sickness14

I got the car running sunday! :)

lots of questions below. thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used this formula to come up with my injector lag time, but after reviewing some sources, i believe i am wrong but need verification.

Precision injector 042-0880
opening 1.130
closing .998

I used an average of 1 for open and close times on the injector, subtracted by .64 (stock lag) to get .36 i started the car and it seemed to run just fine. (Formula: 1 - .64 = .36)

I then thought the lag time was based on injector opening and came up with this:

opening 1.130 - .64 = .49

I tried .49 and the car started , and stayed very rich in the 10 range on wideband. i shut it down right away.

Can someone come up with the correct accurate way to formulate injector lag in ms. ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What weight oil are you guys running? I started it off with a 5w-30 to get it running and will be changing it now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone have a datalogit that they are willing to sell / let me get my car setup with ?

Sil240

Nice!!!!
That's awesome! !

Is she gonna be ready for TOTD??
make sure you book your room before August 1st

I can't wait to see your car going.!!!

l0nestar

Congrats John! I got my car to somewhat limp on Saturday, but I'm fighting with my MAF.. hopefully I can get a video posted soon too.. :)

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

Got your email John. You've got PM's turned off BTW :poke:

I don't know the specs for my injectors and everything is packed away in boxes, but I will stop by Stec today and ask him if he has any way of looking up what he put in for mine. Congrats on getting it together and running BTW!

sickness14

Cjmartz2k wrote:Got your email John. You've got PM's turned off BTW :poke:

I don't know the specs for my injectors and everything is packed away in boxes, but I will stop by Stec today and ask him if he has any way of looking up what he put in for mine. Congrats on getting it together and running BTW!
Chris,

Ill have to fix my settings, thx.

What I reaaaly need is your inj and ign maps in your pfc. Your injector and turbo setup is almost identical to mine and it would really help me to get my car somewhat drivable to break it in before my tune.

I tried calling ya but your number isn't active, you're prob back on base, right? Hope all is well. Let me know if you can somehow get me some maps from your tuner or pfc screen. Thx a lot for everything bro.

J

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”